Thinking about getting my IFR rating - Written test programs????

Old July 17th 03, 09:12 PM
Grey Stone

Default Thinking about getting my IFR rating - Written test programs????

I am thinking about getting my IFR rating. I have seen different
DVD/Video Training sets to get you ready for your IFR written. Does
anyone have any opinion on these? Are they a waste of time? Should I
just start doing my IFR and working on the written prep with an
instructor?

I appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,

Grey
Old July 17th 03, 09:45 PM
Maule Driver

Getting the written done is a great way to go into your flight training.
The video/dvd/computer based stuff is a great way to go. I did the King
videos and pc based test stuff. Then to do a final prep for the test, I did
a 2 day cram course with one of the companies that does that.

Old July 17th 03, 09:55 PM
John T

"Grey Stone" wrote in message

I am thinking about getting my IFR rating. I have seen different
DVD/Video Training sets to get you ready for your IFR written. Does
anyone have any opinion on these? Are they a waste of time? Should I
just start doing my IFR and working on the written prep with an
instructor?

I used two training methods for the written test.

First, I ordered the King IFR CD course (this was just before Sporty's
started offering a DVD version). This was played on the PC and gave me a
test after every section - very similar to the Gleim books. I thought it
did a good job of prepping me for the test.

At almost the same time, I enrolled in an instrument ground course. As it
turned out, the ground course was based heavily on the use of Jeppesen
training videos. The instructor would show a (portion of a) tape and then
discuss what we'd seen and answer questions. The school required that you
pass their "final exam" with a score of 80 before signing you off to take
the FAA written.

Between those two, I easily passed the test.

I am very comfortable with computers and kinda preferred the interactive
CD-ROMs over a plain video with paper backup. The ability to instantly
review the section of video related to a question I answered incorrectly was
very nice.

At the same time, the interaction with a real live instructor and other
classmates was quite valuable, too, so it really boils down to personal
tastes and preferences. If you're comfortable with solo/self study, you
should do just fine with the DVD. Some people really don't do well in that
situation and prefer the "social setting" of an organized class.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old July 18th 03, 09:01 PM
Slav Inger

Grey Stone wrote:

I am thinking about getting my IFR rating. I have seen different
DVD/Video Training sets to get you ready for your IFR written. Does
anyone have any opinion on these? Are they a waste of time? Should I
just start doing my IFR and working on the written prep with an
instructor?

I appreciate any opinions.

My opinion: no they're not a waste of time. I used King's VHS course
and the workbook, then brushed up with their computer test prep just
before the exam, and got 100%. And I actually retained quite a bit,
too. Quite unlike the Jeppesen books that I kept falling asleep over.

- Slav Inger
- PP ASEL IA @ YIP
Old July 18th 03, 10:01 PM
Marty Ross

I made sure I answered every question in Gleim, made flashcards for things I
needed to memorize, took an AmericanFlyers 3 day ground school, and glanced
at various computer based learning devices.

I didn't find the ASA DVD helpful for learning -- perhaps as a review it was
OK, but then who has the time to sit through 6 hrs. of DVD 'entertainment'
when you're cramming for a test? I think the traditional classwork and
bookwork was the best use of my time.

I actually waited until I was done with my practical ("in flight")
instrument lessons, and this was a mistake. By the time I finished the
written work, I needed A LOT of review with the air work to prepare for the
checkride. However, I'd recommend to do at least SOME work in the air
before starting to study, as the ground stuff had more meaning for me in
context.

As far as other computer learning aids, I did use and find helpful various
"demo" versions of IFR test prep software, just when I had a few minutes to
spare, and a browser. Perhaps the easiest one to use is at:

http://www.webexams.com/

Just login as "Guest" and take their IFR test (they randomize 60 questions
for you -- answer as many questions as you have time for). I ask for
immediate feedback so I don't have to complete the test to know how well I'm
doing... I think it's also helpful to get into the habit of answering the
questions on a computer terminal, since that's how the test is given at the
FAA designated test center.

Old July 19th 03, 07:36 PM
Tune2828

hey this site is great!! i've been using www.exams4pilots.org -- but it
doesn't have many illustrations, so just been choosing the non-illustration
questions

i'm taking my written in a few weeks, and have been using the jep test guide -
but i hate flipping thru the book finding the illustration pages, this site
just opens them up-- and a dual monitors are nice too - plus i can do it at
work

thanks for recommending it
Old July 22nd 03, 01:08 AM
JerryK

If you want to get a high score on the test just get the King test prep
software. It will drill you to the point where you know every question and
answer.

If you actually want to learn something consider getting either the King or
Sporty's DVDs. I liked Sporty's because the presentations where better.

jerry