CAT II Minimums on a CAT I Approach

Old July 24th 03, 05:30 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 04:03:16 GMT, Ryan Ferguson wrote:

Very interesting. So if I understand this correctly (and maybe I don't,)
you're saying that you obtained authorization for CAT II approaches, but no
waiver for CAT I minimums with the equipment on-board your Mooney? If so,
which required equipment were you lacking?

You understand correctly. Required equipment includes an autopilot
approach coupler, HUD or FD system that provides guidance to DH. While
this stuff is also "required" for CAT II operations, one can obtain a
waiver for a CAT A a/c under Part 91. There is no similar authority to
obtain a waiver for special Cat I minima.

Before you even go flying, the Fed's also do an inspection of the aircraft
to ensure that all the equipment requirements are met.

What are the equipment requirements?

Unfortunately, it's not easy for me to do a cut and paste because of the
columns in the pdf document. But you can find 8700.1 on the FAA web site.
Look in Volume 2 Chapter 59 and that info is there. Any well-equipped GA
a/c should probably qualify. On my airplane, I had to add an alternate
static air source. I also had to adjust the rigging of my flaps as the a/c
tended to turn enough to one side that I had difficulty flying that last
100'. I never noticed it flying CAT I approaches.

In addition, the standard for flying the approach is no more than 1/4 scale
deflection of either LOC or GP needles. That may be more rigorous than the
Instrument PTS, but I don't have that information handy.

It is... the instrument rating PTS allows no more than 3/4 scale deflection on
the final approach segment of the ILS.

It was an interesting experience.

Like Richard, I am curious as to why you decided to do this and what, if any
utility you've gained from the Cat II authorization you were granted. I've
tossed the idea of pursuing this around for a little bit - mainly just for the
challenge and learning experience.

For me it was mostly the challenge and learning experience. But it did
give me additional confidence, skill and some added utility.

Old July 24th 03, 07:46 AM

"Michael P. McCullough" wrote:

This may also apply to aircraft operated witha HUD or the new EVS system
installed on Gulfstreams. Some Part 91 operators of transport category jets
(business jets) have been granted CAT II minimums on CAT I approaches after
receiving approval and VERY specific training.

That is a whole new set of authorizations issued in the past few months and only
for the real EVS, not the computed stuff.