Red Bull Air Races in Detroit

Old May 3rd 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Red Bull Air Races in Detroit

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

I've never done the Red Bull, but we have several RB pilots in our
workgroup. Just from watching their films, considering the
sensitivity of their aircraft vs where they put their airplanes on
the course and what they do to position them there, these pilots have
my greatest respect.

What amazes me is how they can run a complicated course, performing
multiple maneuvers at high speed/high G, and end up being separated by
mere seconds, both from others and from their own times.

Of course it does. YOu have no imagination.

Bertie
Old May 3rd 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
> [...]
I really hope Detroit is up to the task of hosting this event. I know
they've fixed up the riverfront area and all, but we'll be landing at
Ypsilanti and renting a car, which means driving into downtown. My
knowledge-base of gang symbols is twenty years out of date, and (unlike
Baghdad) I probably can't get a military escort through areas controlled
by the insurgents.

It ain't like you're going to New York City or some place like that.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old May 4th 08, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:
Anyone else planning to attend?

....um...er...it's a bit far from the Left Coast :-)

We saw the Red Bull Air Races in Reno, back in '04, and were blown away
by them.

Hey, that's the same year I saw them...and missed you and Mary by a day
as you guys had to scoot early. That was my second year at Reno and I
enjoyed both race styles.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old May 4th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Hey, that's the same year I saw them...and missed you and Mary by a day as
you guys had to scoot early. That was my second year at Reno and I
enjoyed both race styles.

Yeah, that's the year we had to leave on Saturday, ahead of a HUGE
early-winter storm system. Had we not left that day, we'd have been stuck
in Reno for weeks.

It would be cool if they could do a "Reno-style" air race somewhere else,
but the liability boys would have a field day. Wasn't it the old "Cleveland
Air Races" that experienced a terrible crash (into an occupied home) that
ended that type of racing pretty much everywhere?

Didn't they try to organize one last year (?) in rural Mississippi that
flopped?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 7th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
Uh...my advice is to know exactly where you are going and how to get there
when in Detroit.
Don't get lost.
Don't ever wander aimlessly.

Why not? Downtown Detroit really isn't some place to be afraid of.

If you are afraid of being in a "big city" you can watch from Windsor
Ontario.

I don't advocate being fearful.

Lived in that city 25+ years and yes downtown is a place in which to be
cautious.

not afraid...just cautious.

Old May 22nd 08, 04:15 PM
Grudgrime Grudgrime is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloudy via AviationKB.com View Post
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
Uh...my advice is to know exactly where you are going and how to get there
when in Detroit.
Don't get lost.
Don't ever wander aimlessly.

Why not? Downtown Detroit really isn't some place to be afraid of.

If you are afraid of being in a "big city" you can watch from Windsor
Ontario.

I don't advocate being fearful.

Lived in that city 25+ years and yes downtown is a place in which to be
cautious.

not afraid...just cautious.

Just to give you all an update. I have lived Downtown for the last 5 years. Its not like it used to be. The actual downtown has a lower crime rate that any of the outlying subdivisions. So PLEASE go and enjoy yourself. You can take the people mover (our version of an L train) all around downtown for .50 a ride. There are restaurants at almost every stop. I walk around all the time and feel as safe as can be. But of course as aleways be cautious
Old May 23rd 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Just to give you all an update. I have lived Downtown for the last 5
years. Its not like it used to be. The actual downtown has a lower
crime rate that any of the outlying subdivisions. So PLEASE go and
enjoy yourself. You can take the people mover (our version of an L
train) all around downtown for .50 a ride. There are restaurants at
almost every stop. I walk around all the time and feel as safe as can
be. But of course as aleways be cautious

Thanks for the update. Any advice on getting from Ypsilanti to our hotel
(and the races) downtown?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 23rd 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Grudgrime wrote:
Kloudy via AviationKB.com;628251 Wrote:
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:-

You can take the people mover (our version of an
train)
--
Grudgrime

Heehee. we used to call it the MuggerMover.

Yep... Cobo, RenCen, Greektown area not so bad anymore.

But not far away.....

I'll be back there in July.
Can't wait to see the DIA reno'.

toodles, Jay. have fun

Old May 27th 08, 04:18 PM
Grudgrime Grudgrime is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Honeck[_2_] View Post
Just to give you all an update. I have lived Downtown for the last 5
years. Its not like it used to be. The actual downtown has a lower
crime rate that any of the outlying subdivisions. So PLEASE go and
enjoy yourself. You can take the people mover (our version of an L
train) all around downtown for .50 a ride. There are restaurants at
almost every stop. I walk around all the time and feel as safe as can
be. But of course as aleways be cautious

Thanks for the update. Any advice on getting from Ypsilanti to our hotel
(and the races) downtown?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"
JAY,

From Ypsi the best way is 94E to M10 (Lodge FWY) south. Not sure which hotel you are staying at but from the lodge I take the W Jefferson / Joe Louis Exit which dumps you right on to West Jefferson, which runs along the riverfront. Turning around and heading East on Jefferson will get you to the race area. Although I beleive some of the available race parking is the Cobo and Joe Louis parking structures which are right at that exit. ANY other way and you are bound to hit construction.

Hope this helps.

My husband just called me from home and said the are setting up the pylons right now. He said we will actually be able to see some of the race from our window if we wanted. Although we will get a better view down on the boardwalk.
Old May 28th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Hope this helps.

Sure does! Thanks...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Red Bull Races Russell Aviation Photos 3 November 20th 06 03:07 AM
Red Bull Races Russell Aviation Photos 0 November 19th 06 12:00 PM
Red Bull Races Russell Aviation Photos 0 November 19th 06 12:00 PM
Red Bull Races Russell Aviation Photos 0 November 19th 06 12:00 PM
Red Bull Air Races.. Dan Piloting 10 August 30th 06 02:32 PM