Thoughts on a beautiful spring evening...

Old May 22nd 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Default Thoughts on a beautiful spring evening...

BT wrote:

The youth destroy their life with drugs.. before they realize what they have
done to their future.
Stealth Pilot

As did we....well, some of us.

The thing I find is that the stuff we played with (weed, alcohol) didn't have
the effects like the stuff the kids are killing themselves with now.
I am astounded with what some of our young people are willing to ingest,
inject, inhale without any thought about the potential consequence.
I saw a lovely young girl 'bout 19 years old, community college student, good
girl looking forward to journalism school, inhaled something at a picnic,
fell down, convulsed for a little while, arrived in the ER a little blue,
spent some time in ICU, now will wear a diaper the rest of her life in
nursing facilities, half her brain turned to goo.

It breaks my heart.

I mean, in my time we were a little stupid and drunk or got the munchies for
a while but a few milligrams didn't melt our noodles.

Old May 22nd 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NVArt

I counsel all young folks who will listen of the consequences of their
actions. They are followed virtually forever. With so many laws, so
zealously enforced, they can't live down small crimes. I mean, in the
forties, when a felon was released from the Pen, they gave him 20
bucks, a suit, and a bus ride somewhere. Today, they want keep track
of you forever. well, some government employee will have a job doing
it, but many of us will pay the taxes for his/her salary. Hell, if you
pee behind a pole and get caught, you're a sex offender, with
attendent registry and following......paid for by the taxpayers, of
which there are fewer, 'cuz of the aforementioned drug use, etc.
When I was growing up, reading Alley Oop, he'd hit a woman over the
head with a club and drag her back to his cave. Today, you have to
choose your listeners carefully to even remind them of this accepted
conditioning. Sure, we know it's a joke, but not all take it that way.
How 'bout when my neighbor got within three blocks of home before
smashing his new Olds into a light pole; Officer O'Reilly showed up
and dragged the drunk home by his ear. The missus administered
justice, for a long time. No DUI, sr22, classes, etc. All the
rigamerole today makes alot of jobs, but I'm not sure if we're better
off. Freedoms sure are diminished. While I'm at it, I remember a kid
that brought a GASP, GUNSTOCK, to school for refinishing in a shop
class. SHUDDER.... how could we even think such a thing
today?
I'd like to meet Jay and his family someday. I've got more than a
feeling he's doin' it right. anersI thank him for his postings.
Old May 22nd 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-05-22, BDS wrote:
Our home base is starting to look like a ghost town. The ramp used to be
brimming with aircraft and it's so sparsely populated now it's actually
depressing.

All of the hangars at FRM are occupied (though one is currently occupied by
a couple of the airport manager's boats, which will be moved to make room
for my airplane)...but nothing lives on the ramp, and there is a distinct
lack of hangar flying in the evenings I've been out there.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old May 22nd 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 22, 10:56 am, "Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:
BT wrote:
[...]

Some of us (me) didn't mess with drugs or alcohol or tobacco or
other such dumb stuff, but we, being of sound mind and body, did other
things that were almost as stupid. I sold heavy truck and earthmover
parts for nine years when I was young, and would lift 200 or more
pounds without any pain whatever. And stack it higher than my head.
Would do that all day. The older guys said "you're gonna wreck your
back doing that" but I did it anyway. "Doesn't hurt," I said. "Don't
feel a thing." But I wore my joints out and now I have arthritis, have
had it for almost ten years. I'm 55. Sold myself cheap.
Youth is like that. It will live forever, it's invulnerable,
it can do anything and can keep doing it into old age. Or so it
thinks. Youth doesn't listen to the old fuddy-duddies who usually turn
out to have known a lot more than we gave them credit for. Now my
young students look at me funny when I tell them that "you're gonna
wish you hadn't done that." We were all young and did stupid things.
Some are still paying for it.

Dan
Old May 23rd 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Kloudy wrote:

I mean, in my time we were a little stupid and drunk or got the munchies for
a while but a few milligrams didn't melt our noodles.

to be clearer.
" a few milligrams of whatever would not melt our noodles like the stuff kids
are taking these days."

Told one of my patients, " ya know that stuff is made by a loser with a 6th
grade education in his trailer out of stuff ya get from Home Depot. Ya still
wanna smoke it?"

Got one or two to think about it.

Old May 23rd 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

All of the hangars at FRM are occupied (though one is currently occupied
by
a couple of the airport manager's boats, which will be moved to make room
for my airplane)...but nothing lives on the ramp, and there is a distinct
lack of hangar flying in the evenings I've been out there.

It's funny -- all the hangars in Iowa City are occupied, and there's
actually a small waiting list for them -- but no one is flying. People
still want planes, but they apparently can't afford to fly them.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 23rd 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Jay, I remember when you showed up here. Things were already well on
their way downhill - all that kept us going was inertia. There was a
time when usenet was different.

Thanks for the great post, Michael. After ten years here it's sometimes
hard to remember that there are guys who have been here MUCH longer than me.

Your points about the group needing to be somewhat limited-access are valid,
and it's one of the reasons I find myself hanging out on the Cherokee Pilots
Association's Cherokee Chat more and more. There, you must be a
dues-paying member to post, and everyone pretty much knows each other by
name. As a result, even though political and off-topic posts *do*
occasionally occur, they are done in a more mannered and cultured way.

Unfortunately, (and this is also it's strength) the group is 100%-focused on
Cherokees, which tends to limit the discussion.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 23rd 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On May 22, 8:34 am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:
On Thu, 22 May 2008 04:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Denny
wrote:

are DUI and drug convictions... He says that the vast majority of
younger people out there do not understand that a drug bust
permanently ends their chances of getting any kind of a security
clearance, including an airmans medical certificate... That was a new
thought for me... Even though I deal with drug and alcohol issues
daily I didn't realize how pervasive the criminal record for those
offenses is...

denny

denny is that a bad thing?
drugs damage brains, often permanently.
do you really want that in the air with you?
I dont.

So does alcohol. One could be a wife-beating alcoholic with liver
disease but he can legally fly after 8 hours.

Old May 23rd 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Jay, I remember when you showed up here. Things were already well on
their way downhill - all that kept us going was inertia. There was a
time when usenet was different.

Thanks for the great post, Michael. After ten years here it's
sometimes hard to remember that there are guys who have been here MUCH
longer than me.

Me, for instance.

Bertie