Pakistan's Musharraf to resign as president

Old August 15th 08, 03:07 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Tiger

Default Pakistan's Musharraf to resign as president

Just when the world is watching something else, the other shoe drops....

Yahoo! News

Pakistan's Musharraf to resign as president: report

2 hours, 56 minutes ago

Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf will resign rather than face
impeachment by parliament, the Financial Times said on its Web site,
citing government officials and a member of his circle.

The paper quoted an unidentified senior Pakistani government member as
saying a deal had been brokered between Musharraf and members of the
newly elected coalition government.

"The president will neither be impeached nor prosecuted on any charges.
He will try and stay in Pakistan," the paper quoted the official as saying.

Speculation has been rife Musharraf would quit rather than face
impeachment for misrule, though his spokesman, who was not immediately
available for comment, has repeatedly denied that.

The long-running crisis surrounding Musharraf's future has heightened
concern in the United States and among other allies about the stability
of the nuclear-armed Muslim state, which is in the front line of the
campaign against militancy.

Musharraf, a close U.S. ally, has been under pressure to quit from the
ruling government coalition, led by the party of assassinated former
Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto. It said last week it planned to impeach him.

In Washington, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino referred to the
report as a "rumor mill."

"We've heard the reports and we continue to monitor it," she said,
adding that the United States considered the leadership of Pakistan an
issue for Pakistanis.

Former army chief Musharraf seized power in a 1999 coup but has been
isolated since his allies lost a February election.

A Pakistani newspaper this week said Musharraf was expected to announce
a decision to step down on Independence Day on Thursday. Instead,
Musharraf issued a call for reconciliation, which he said was essential
to tackle mounting economic problems and Islamist militancy.

That appeal apparently failed to check government attempts to force him
from power, with one senior coalition official saying preparations to
impeach the president were on track.

ARMY'S ROLE

The political uncertainty is unnerving investors, with the rupee setting
a new low of around 75.05/15 to the dollar on Wednesday and stocks
hovering near two-year lows.

Financial markets were closed on Thursday.

The Financial Times said Musharraf had demanded he be allowed to retire
to his farm in Islamabad and that there be no moves to prosecute him
once out of office,

It quoted a senior government official as saying Pakistan's powerful
army had insisted Musharraf's demands be met.

Coalition leaders said this week the army, which has ruled for more than
half the country's history since its founding in 1947, would not
intervene to back its old boss.

Analysts say the army is loathe to step back into the political fray and
is unlikely to take any action against the government on Musharraf's behalf.

Reports have cited army commander General Ashfaq Kayani, who Musharraf
chose to succeed him when he gave up command last year, as saying he
wanted to avoid the controversy over Musharraf.

Asked about the possibility of a military coup in Pakistan, Perino said:
"I haven't heard of a military coup ... But I think if they are be
moving forward on impeachment proceedings it seems to be within their
constitution."

(Additional reporting by Jon Boyle in London, Tabassum Zakaria in
Washington; Editing by Robert Birsel)

Copyright © 2008 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or
redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the
prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any
errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance
thereon.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy

Old August 15th 08, 03:16 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
La N

"Tiger" wrote in message
Just when the world is watching something else, the other shoe drops....

Yahoo! News

Pakistan's Musharraf to resign as president: report

2 hours, 56 minutes ago

Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf will resign rather than face
impeachment by parliament, the Financial Times said on its Web site,
citing government officials and a member of his circle.

Just yesterday, I believe, I was watching on some news shows interviews with
Pakistanis who say that the hatred that Pakistanis have had against America
is because of the US support of Musharraf who is very unpopular in his own
country.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next.

- nilita

Old August 15th 08, 03:20 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Raymond O'Hara

"La N" wrote in message

"Tiger" wrote in message
Just when the world is watching something else, the other shoe drops....

Yahoo! News

Pakistan's Musharraf to resign as president: report

2 hours, 56 minutes ago

Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf will resign rather than face
impeachment by parliament, the Financial Times said on its Web site,
citing government officials and a member of his circle.

Just yesterday, I believe, I was watching on some news shows interviews
with Pakistanis who say that the hatred that Pakistanis have had against
America is because of the US support of Musharraf who is very unpopular in
his own country.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next.

- nilita

well our efforts to chase the taliban hifdng in pakistans will step up
because we don't have to worry about undermining him anymore.

Old August 15th 08, 04:04 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Tiger

La N wrote:
"Tiger" wrote in message

Just when the world is watching something else, the other shoe drops....

Yahoo! News

Pakistan's Musharraf to resign as president: report

2 hours, 56 minutes ago

Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf will resign rather than face
impeachment by parliament, the Financial Times said on its Web site,
citing government officials and a member of his circle.

Just yesterday, I believe, I was watching on some news shows interviews with
Pakistanis who say that the hatred that Pakistanis have had against America
is because of the US support of Musharraf who is very unpopular in his own
country.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next.

- nilita

This is something the world does not need right now. Musharraf was a bad
guy, but at least a stable bad guy on our side. What next???? Is a very
good question for the region.

Old August 15th 08, 04:08 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Tiger

"Tiger" wrote in message

well our efforts to chase the taliban hifdng in pakistans will step up
because we don't have to worry about undermining him anymore.

Not so fast. This may cut the other way. The paki's shut us out entirely
due to the fly boys lack aim lately. We seem to kill as many non targets
as targets.

Old August 15th 08, 04:28 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
eatfastnoodle

On Aug 14, 9:16*pm, "La N" wrote:
"Tiger" wrote in message

Just when the world is watching something else, the other shoe drops.....

Yahoo! News

Pakistan's Musharraf to resign as president: report

2 hours, 56 minutes ago

Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf will resign rather than face
impeachment by parliament, the Financial Times said on its Web site,
citing government officials and a member of his circle.

Just yesterday, I believe, I was watching on some news shows interviews with
Pakistanis who say that the hatred that Pakistanis have had against America
is because of the US support of Musharraf who is very unpopular in his own
country.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next.

- nilita

I believe it's more of the other way around. Musharraf is hated
because of his alliance with US. Blair used to be hottie NO.1 in
Britain until he became Bush's poodle NO.1 in the eyes of his
countrymen. The former Spanish prime minister got himself voted out of
office because he was seen too close to the US. I suppose you don't
seriously believe US is hated because of Musharraf? I mean, come on.
Old August 15th 08, 04:30 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
La N

"eatfastnoodle" wrote in message
On Aug 14, 9:16 pm, "La N" wrote:
"Tiger" wrote in message

[...]

****************

Okay, you tell me .... why *do* the Pakistanis hate the U.S.?

- nilita

Old August 15th 08, 04:36 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
eatfastnoodle

On Aug 14, 9:16 pm, "La N" wrote:

"Tiger" wrote in message

[...]

You do know Pakistan is a Islamic country, you do know Muslim around
the world call each other brother. You do know a good chunk, if not
the majority of Muslims, consider the "war on terror" is just a
disguise for the "war on Islam". You do know America abandoned
Pakistan and left Pakistan in the dust more than a few times. And
that's the problems America have for Muslims. Even in Europe and
Canada, America could only be described toxic over last few years, I
suppose you know the few European leaders lost their jobs at least
partially because of their close association with America. Add it up.
You will know.
Old August 15th 08, 04:39 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Tiger

On Aug 14, 9:16 pm, "La N" wrote:

"Tiger" wrote in message

[...]

Dropping bombs on non Talibans has not won many hearts & minds for a
start....

Old August 15th 08, 04:41 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
La N

On Aug 14, 9:16 pm, "La N" wrote:

"Tiger" wrote in message

[...]

"Countries don't have friends; they have allies".

- nilita