autofuel and ethanol in cincinnati area

Old July 17th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Guy Byars

Default autofuel and ethanol in cincinnati area

First, no airports near Cincinnati sell autogas.

I have done much research on ethanol in the Cincinnati area fuel supply.
This was done after I filled up my Skylane from a Mobile/UDF station only to
find that I put a 5% mix of ethanol in my plane! I was a major pain to
quickly defuel the plane and refill with 100LL. I had tested that station
just a few months ago and it was clean.

Anyway, here are my findings:

1) Don't trust the labels on the pumps, they are meaningless. I have tested
numerous stations for ethanol and many that tested positive came from
unmarked pumps.

2) Test your fuel everytime ... before you buy it. This is easily done with
a small jar, a Sharpie Pen and some water.

a) fill a jar 1/5 the way full with water

b) mark the level with the Sharpie

c) top off with fuel and shake

d) after it settles, If the water level rises, then ethanol is present.

3) All major brands in metro Cincinnati (Shell, BP, Exxon... etc) put
ethanol in their fuel. Most conviencence stores do too... Mobile/UDF and
Speedway, for example contain ethanol.

I have only found that the Kroger fuel station in Hyde Park and the Marithon
station near the corner of Delta/Columbia Pkwy sell alcohol free gas. I
still test before I buy.

Where are you based?

Guy

"noname" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just moved to cincinnati and curious about the status of ethanol in
the autofuel in the area.

Is there a web site that shows what cities and/or counties that have
ethanol in their autofuel?

Are there any airports in the Cincinnati area that sells autofuel?

Thanks

Dave

Old July 17th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

2) Test your fuel everytime ... before you buy it. This is easily done with
a small jar, a Sharpie Pen and some water.
a) fill a jar 1/5 the way full with water
b) mark the level with the Sharpie
c) top off with fuel and shake
d) after it settles, If the water level rises, then ethanol is present.

A guy on the Cherokee 235 group has come up with an even better way to
test for water & alcohol at the same time -- tell me what you think of
this:

1. Put fuel in cup.
2. Add 1/4 of an alka-seltzer to fuel
3. If no fizz, no water OR alcohol.

I really like this method, and plan on testing it on our next tank-full
of car gas.

I'm no chemist, so I've got to ask: Does alka-seltzer really fizz in
alcohol?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 21st 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
M[_1_]

Should be easy to validate the whole thing. I think you can get pure
alcohol from drug store. Blend 10% into gasoline, and toss in an
alka-seltzer.