Bird Control - Some Success

Old July 18th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

Default Bird Control - Some Success

Back in May '06, I posted asking for some ideas around keeping birds
off various parts of the airplane. My tiedown is at the end of a line
of tiedowns that places it next to a large hangar with various small
trees and vegetation surrounding the property that is home to many
birds. While I enjoy low taxiing traffic and a large place to park my
car, I pay for it by having the sh***iest tail on the ramp. Yes, one of
the few instances where I can use the term literally.

The solution turns out to be the simplest and (get ready for this
aviation rarity) the CHEAPEST of them all.

Tinsel

Yup, the same one used on a Christmas tree. I tied one on each side of
the NAV antenna and have been crap-free for three weeks now. It seems
to be keeping them off the fuselage and wings as well.

The credit may go to a poster here but I honestly don't remember.
Though I did see it on a neighbor's aircraft.

Marco

Old July 19th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
vincent p. norris

The solution turns out to be the simplest and (get ready for this
aviation rarity) the CHEAPEST of them all.

Tinsel

Yup, the same one used on a Christmas tree. I tied one on each side of
the NAV antenna and have been crap-free for three weeks now. It seems
to be keeping them off the fuselage and wings as well.

I've read that pieces of audio tape, arranged so as to flutter in the
breeze, will lhave the same effect. (At least while there's a
breeze.)

Some of those CDs AOL keeps sending out might work, too.

vince norris
Old July 19th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

vincent p. norris wrote:
I've read that pieces of audio tape, arranged so as to flutter in the
breeze, will lhave the same effect. (At least while there's a
breeze.)

Some of those CDs AOL keeps sending out might work, too.

Audio tape would probably work well too. The tinsel has quite a bit
more shine to it though. I thought about the CD solution but I could
not figure out a mounting solution that did not create a safety issue
in case I forgot to take it off.

Marco

Old July 20th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
vincent p. norris

I thought about the CD solution but I could not figure out a mounting
solution that did not create a safety issue in case I forgot to take it off.

Would you be permitted to drive two rebars into the ground (assuming
you're not on pavement) and fasten a crossbar higher than your fin,
sorta like a goalpost, from which to hang the CDs?

vince norris
Old July 20th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
LWG

I tried the CDs on a string, and it didn't work at all. I tried the rubber
snakes, but that only worked temporarily. I finally decided to block all
the access points with cheap carwash sponges (still in the plastic wrapper)
in the empennage and rigid plastic netting from Home Depot which I cut into
a shape to fit behind the nosewheel.. That worked until I got a hangar.

"Marco Leon" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 20th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

In article ,
vincent p. norris wrote:

Would you be permitted to drive two rebars into the ground (assuming
you're not on pavement) and fasten a crossbar higher than your fin,
sorta like a goalpost, from which to hang the CDs?

Oh, you want to create a new roost for the birds!
Old July 20th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

vincent p. norris wrote:
I thought about the CD solution but I could not figure out a mounting
solution that did not create a safety issue in case I forgot to take it off.

Would you be permitted to drive two rebars into the ground (assuming
you're not on pavement) and fasten a crossbar higher than your fin,
sorta like a goalpost, from which to hang the CDs?

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm on pavement. I would think that many
FBOs would be opposed to that for the risk of it falling over and
hitting your neighbor. Although, a friend of mine down the line has a
plastic owl perched on top of a pole mounted on a weighted base similar
to a kid's basketball hoop setup. His plane's tail seems to be
crap-free as well.

Marco

Old July 20th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Marco Leon" wrote:

The solution turns out to be the simplest and (get ready for this
aviation rarity) the CHEAPEST of them all.

Tinsel

I've never tried anything on the airplane itself. I'm surprised that worked
for you.

At BFM, hangars and shelters attract a lot of blackbirds and pigeons. Here's
what didn't work in the buildings:

o Strings of tinsel - The pigeons ignored them; the blackbirds stole them.
o Old CDs - All the birds ignored them.
o Fake owls - After an initial period of wariness, the birds perched on
them and **** on their heads.
o Ultrasonic bird repellers - completely useless.

Here's what did work:

o Pellet gun - Highly effective in individual cases, but alarms
bystanders, airport police, etc. Collateral damage can be a problem.

o Bird netting - Best solution found. A pain to put up, but it keeps
birds out of the rafters where they love to roost and nest. Once the
netting's there, birds will find someplace else to hang out -- your
neighbor's shelter, for example.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old July 21st 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

Dan Luke wrote:

Here's what did work:

o Pellet gun - Highly effective in individual cases, but alarms
bystanders, airport police, etc. Collateral damage can be a problem.

o Bird netting - Best solution found. A pain to put up, but it keeps
birds out of the rafters where they love to roost and nest. Once the
netting's there, birds will find someplace else to hang out -- your
neighbor's shelter, for example.

If I had a hangar, then bird netting is probably the only real choice.
I guess my problem is much simpler in that it focuses on a two foot by
one inch area as opposed to a structure with many potential bird
hang-outs that need protection.

I've had two nests in my wing tip and one in my tailcone. I even chased
one black bird from my wingtip and out the main wheel fairing! So this
has been a long war and like many adversaries, they'll probably figure
out a way around the tinsel (but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!)

Marco

Old July 21st 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

In article . com,
"Marco Leon" wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:

[...]

Try placing mothballs in the areas where birds want to build nests
(except engines, where you can place covers).