SR71 Film

Old December 24th 07, 01:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom[_2_]

Default Lockheed D-21 Drone-5

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lockheed D-21-5.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	20646
Old December 24th 07, 01:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom[_2_]

Default Lockheed D-21 Drone-6

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lockheed D-21-6.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	20647
Old December 24th 07, 04:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default SR71 Film

"miket6065" wrote in
. net:

D21 Drone, basically a SR71 engine turned into a drone intended to fly
over terrain even the SR71 won't venture over.

Saddly the drone failed and crashed on the SR, one crewman survived
one road the plane into the Pacific.

No, BOTH parachuted out, but one drowned while waiting for rescue.
Old December 24th 07, 04:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ron

"Jack G" wrote in message
. ..
Mother ship was the M-21. One is now on display at the Museum of Flight
in Seattle.

http://www.museumofflight.org/Collec...3-AA2AF8E6BB00

Jack G.

Some more are still stored at DM, if Google Earth is reliable. Two can be
seen just south of the Golf Course (west of the Sea King and Buckeye rows),
and I remember seeing one or two more around the yard.

Ron
--
Non urinat in ventum

Old December 24th 07, 05:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ron

"Jack G" wrote in message
. ..
Ron - I take it you are referring to the D-21 - Don't think there are any
M-21s is storage...

Jack G.

Oops, you're correct.

Ron
--
Non urinat in ventum

Old December 24th 07, 08:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Ron" wrote in

Some more are still stored at DM, if Google Earth is reliable. Two can
be seen just south of the Golf Course (west of the Sea King and
Buckeye rows), and I remember seeing one or two more around the yard.

Ron

IIRC: NASA also had several of the drones moved to Dryden for test flights
a couple of years ago, They were showing on Google Earth photos near the
shuttle mate/demate structure..along with the shuttle carrier 747.
Old December 25th 07, 08:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
whogoes

Thanks everyone. I'd read about this programme but hadnt connected it with
the film clip. You can clearly see the airspike in the early part of the
clip. It occurred to me that the drone would look very triangular from
below. Could it be an explanation for the so-called aurora sighting in the
north sea thats often cited on documentaries.

"whogoes" wrote in message
Does anyone have any idea whats happening in this clip on
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b8b_1198437513
The title talks about refueling but I cant work out what the other plane
is.....
Ideas ????

Old December 25th 07, 01:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Clark wrote in
Could it be an explanation for the so-called
aurora sighting in the north sea thats often cited on documentaries.

No. The D-21 was canceled after only a few test flights.

http://www.amarcexperience.com/AMARCArticleD21Drone.asp

Read to the end of the article, 4 D-21D models were launched
from B-52 motherships and overflew China to the Nuclear test
area at Lop Nor.
Ben Rich in his book about the Skunk Works detailed his
getting a "Gift" from a CIA agent, it proved to be an hatch cover
from a D-21B that had flown off course in China, the hatch was
reportedly picked up in Siberia, Russia

its unlikley that they were ever over the North Sea.