Cirrus - 180 turn, comments and question for those interested

Old February 10th 10, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Terry

Default Cirrus - 180 turn, comments and question for those interested

When I read about accidents such as this I must admit I get a "knot"
in my stomach thinking about it. This accident and others should be
reflected upon so that all of us might learn from it. I can't help
think about the last moments those poor souls were going through as
they fell to earth. I have over 2000 hours PIC and still I wonder if
it could that have happened to me. No pilot is perfect 100% of the
time so I suggest to all in this newsgroup that fly. Stop for a moment
as I will, think about what happened and perhaps all of us will become
better pilots. I want to be the best I can while piloting. For myself,
my family and for you that share the skies with me.

Lately I've been reading the posts on the "impossible 180 degree
turn". Its funny how some see the video and say "see, it can be done"
and think it might encourage others to do the same thing faced with an
engine out on take off. I think any pilot with the right "mind set"
can look at the same video and know how lucky the pilot was. One
little gust of wind, wind from the wrong direction etc and he might
have been another fatal stat. I've been flying the same airplane for
over 10 years and I know what it can do. I can't say I would have
tried the turn-back or straight-ahead because for me at my home
airport that option would change from day to day. So my point is,
again, think about what he did, what you would do and learn from the
video.

So many times in this newsgroup there are a number of posters laying
blame on this or that without knowing the facts. Given time, the
investigation into the accident will determine the cause. It could and
probably is a combination of small errors that ended in a terrible
accident. Was it hazy? Should somebody had their lights on? Should
somebody have made a radio call announcing their position? You get the
idea. I haven't heard anything about radio communications. Has anybody
heard if the tow plane announced he was towing and position reports or
altitude?

My .02 worth

Terry N6401F