Heres a dumb question

Old March 9th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Heres a dumb question

Maybe I can get a dumb answer.

I noticed that in both the Sporty's and AOPA aircraft contests (the annual
airplane giveaways), their rules stipulate that if the winner is Canadian,
they will have to pass a math test to recieve the prize. If they fail to
answer the math question correctly, they will find another winner.

Why would they do that? Assuming the winner to be a Canadian Pilot, why
would they test their apptitude?

Also in that respect, if they are trying to not give the airplane to a total
moron, why wouldnt they do the same to an American winner?

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com

Old March 9th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Canada law doesn't allow the give-away but a test of skill
is OK.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

k.net...

Old March 9th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Huthmaker wrote:

airplane giveaways), their rules stipulate that if the winner is Canadian,
they will have to pass a math test to recieve the prize.

ok, I don't have the reference handy, but last time someone asked
the question, the answer was around the line that Canada has weird
rules about lotteries and such, and for some reasons, the math
tests turns the pure luck based tombola into a contest which then
becomes legal there; no matter how dumb the math test might be, i.e.,
2 + 2? might qualify; any Canadian out there?

--Sylvain
Old March 9th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John Huthmaker" wrote in message
k.net...
Maybe I can get a dumb answer.

I noticed that in both the Sporty's and AOPA aircraft contests (the annual
airplane giveaways), their rules stipulate that if the winner is Canadian,
they will have to pass a math test to recieve the prize. If they fail to
answer the math question correctly, they will find another winner.

Why would they do that?

It is all right he
http://vancouverplus.workopolis.com/...?section=Legal

Old March 10th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Icebound" wrote in message

"John Huthmaker" wrote in message
k.net...
Maybe I can get a dumb answer.

I noticed that in both the Sporty's and AOPA aircraft contests (the
annual airplane giveaways), their rules stipulate that if the winner is
Canadian, they will have to pass a math test to recieve the prize. If
they fail to answer the math question correctly, they will find another
winner.

Why would they do that?

It is all right he
http://vancouverplus.workopolis.com/...?section=Legal

The same applies in the UK. TV shows have prizes such as a house in Spain
etc and to win you have to answer a question which is so easy especially
when they give three choices. Giveaways are not allowed as it would be an
illegal lottery so a "skill" element is needed.

I think that the AOPA and Sportys prizes are not allowed outside N American
anyway which seems a bit of a con as the small print seems very fine on this
and at the moment cannot find it.

Old March 10th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, Sylvain said:
tests turns the pure luck based tombola into a contest which then
becomes legal there; no matter how dumb the math test might be, i.e.,
2 + 2? might qualify; any Canadian out there?

The one and only "lucky draw" I won in Canada, the prize was only $50, and
the skill testing question was just multiplying two 1 digit numbers and
adding another 2 digit number.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Mission Control clears SMS-1 to Canaveral via thrust vectors, Up, Hold

Old March 10th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sylvain writes:
ok, I don't have the reference handy, but last time someone asked
the question, the answer was around the line that Canada has weird
rules about lotteries and such, and for some reasons, the math
tests turns the pure luck based tombola into a contest which then
becomes legal there; no matter how dumb the math test might be, i.e.,
2 + 2? might qualify; any Canadian out there?

I once won some concert tickets and a CD from a radio station in
Toronto. I showed up at the station to get them, and they gave me a
simple math question to do. As the receptionist handed me the paper
with the question on it, she said "the answer is 17".

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: PGP: finger
Web:
Old March 10th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Then I suppose the skill is in knowing where to write in the answer.

John

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com
"Chris Colohan" wrote in message
.. .
Sylvain writes:
ok, I don't have the reference handy, but last time someone asked
the question, the answer was around the line that Canada has weird
rules about lotteries and such, and for some reasons, the math
tests turns the pure luck based tombola into a contest which then
becomes legal there; no matter how dumb the math test might be, i.e.,
2 + 2? might qualify; any Canadian out there?

I once won some concert tickets and a CD from a radio station in
Toronto. I showed up at the station to get them, and they gave me a
simple math question to do. As the receptionist handed me the paper
with the question on it, she said "the answer is 17".

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: PGP: finger
Web:
www.colohan.com Phone: (412)268-4751

Speech: A Question of Loyalty: Gen. Billy Mitchell Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 25th 04 09:30 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Phoenix AIM-54A (QUESTION) Krztalizer Naval Aviation 10 February 23rd 04 07:22 AM