Air Compressor Horsepower/Wattage/Amperage

Old June 18th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Default Air Compressor Horsepower/Wattage/Amperage

I thought I had this compressor power thing down to a pretty good science
until they started screwing around with "rated watts" and "peak power" and
all that crap that makes their compressor look really good until you go to
use it.

Back when we were using "real" horsepower I used a figure of 750 (to make it
easy to calculate, I believe 746 is the actual number) watts per horsepower
and an efficiency factor of 85% so that a one horse motor would take 860
watts to do the actual work.

But then you multiplied that times two for "starting" wattage for a couple
of seconds to give 1725 watts under start and then times three for starting
under some volume of air left in the compressor reservoir or about 2600
watts.

That presses my 2200 watt continuous duty (2800 watts peak) fairly close to
the load limit, but certainly gives a margin for error that seems
reasonable.

Before I tell elebendy bazillion Kitplanes readers that the Harbor Freight
Subaru 2200 watt generator will drive the Sears 1 horse compressor (and even
worse, buy the Sears compressor only to not have it work), will somebody
please do a reality check on me for horsepower/watts for this lashup.

(Note ... convert watts to amperes by dividing watts by 120 volts).
860w=7a 1725w=14a 2600w=21a

Sears and Harbor Freight are damned near clueless about this sort of stuff.
If anybody has a source I can reference for running/starting/starting under
load for air compressors it would be well received.

I'd LIKE to buy a 3/4 horse compressor but they go from the kiddie's 1/4
horse toy straight to one horse with darned little in between.

Jim

--
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
--James Dean

Old June 18th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

On Jun 18, 2:49 pm, "RST Engineering" wrote:
[...]

Have you ever noticed that in the horsepower place on the motor
dataplate it says something like "SPL"?

The motor mfg doesn't want to be complicit on the out right lying
done by the compressor mfgs, who never heard that 750 watts = 1 hp.

Charletons. BH

Old June 18th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:53:30 -0700, "
wrote:

Have you ever noticed that in the horsepower place on the motor
dataplate it says something like "SPL"?

The motor mfg doesn't want to be complicit on the out right lying
done by the compressor mfgs, who never heard that 750 watts = 1 hp.

NOTHING beats Shop-Vac HP ratings.

6HP from a 15 amp 120v outlet! Awesome! G
Old June 18th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
cavelamb himself

wrote:

Have you ever noticed that in the horsepower place on the motor
dataplate it says something like "SPL"?

The motor mfg doesn't want to be complicit on the out right lying
done by the compressor mfgs, who never heard that 750 watts = 1 hp.

NOTHING beats Shop-Vac HP ratings.

6HP from a 15 amp 120v outlet! Awesome! G

Good golly, I hadn't noticed that before!

15 amps at 120 V is 1800 watts

Roughly 746 (100% efficiency) watts per HP

750 x 6 = 4476 watts

Less than 1/2 the claimed power!

I wonder if I could take it back and exchange it for
a REAL 6 hp vac???

Old June 19th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Peter Dohm

news
wrote:

Have you ever noticed that in the horsepower place on the motor
dataplate it says something like "SPL"?

The motor mfg doesn't want to be complicit on the out right lying
done by the compressor mfgs, who never heard that 750 watts = 1 hp.

NOTHING beats Shop-Vac HP ratings.

6HP from a 15 amp 120v outlet! Awesome! G

240% efficiency is very impressive--for a single phase motor!

The last time that I wandered through the tool department at Sears, I saw
what appeared to be the same compressor that I used to own. Mine could
manage about 2CFM at 40PSI, and claimed to be 2HP on the aforementioned 120V
circuit--IIRC with a continued draw of about 10A. The new ones were
claiming either 4 or 6 CFM, and I believe that the pressure may have been
higher as well, on the same electrical power. So the problem is not new,
but it is getting much worse.

Peter
(In the future, tools will be rated like sound systems.)

Old June 19th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Peter Dohm wrote:

(In the future, tools will be rated like sound systems.)

Let's hope the tradition doesn't extend to airplane power plants. G
Old June 20th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
kontiki

B A R R Y wrote:

Let's hope the tradition doesn't extend to airplane power plants. G

Oh don't worry, it will.
Old June 20th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
cavelamb himself

kontiki wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:

Let's hope the tradition doesn't extend to airplane power plants. G

Oh don't worry, it will.

Well, there was the 150 horse Franklin...
Old June 20th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
cavelamb himself

B A R R Y wrote:

Peter Dohm wrote:

(In the future, tools will be rated like sound systems.)

Let's hope the tradition doesn't extend to airplane power plants. G

Well, there was the 150 horse Franklin.

And the 60 horse VW.

Old June 20th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Don Tuite

Jim, this is interesting:

http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm

(Sorry if it's a repost.)

Don

more horsepower T-Bone Piloting 11 March 20th 06 10:56 PM
Lycoming Horsepower Calculation? Mark Doble Home Built 1 June 20th 05 10:46 PM
Thermals and Horsepower Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 14 January 9th 05 05:50 PM
Air Compressor for RV Builder John Bundy Home Built 5 March 27th 04 01:47 PM
Horsepower Andre Home Built 3 July 18th 03 10:50 AM