Why We Lost The Vietnam War

Old January 26th 04, 01:19 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Spiv" wrote in message

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

IT was a larger plane with 10 years of the Comet before it to fall

back
on.
The world's first transatlantic service was by the Comet not the 707.

Wrong, the pressurised Boeing Stratocruiser and Lockheed
Constellations were running transatlantic services before either
Comet or the 707.

We are on about jets. Can't you focus for once?

I suggest you learn precision in communication, you
did not qualify your claim.

The Comet IV lacked the range to fly the
Atlantic non stop and the first jet non stop service was launched
in August 1959 using the Boeing 727-320

Can't you do anything right?
http://user.itl.net/~colonial/comet/history.html

On the 4th October 1958 two B.O.A.C. Comet 4s inaugurated the first

regular
transatlantic jet passenger service - another first for British

innovation.

But not non-stop, it had to stop in Newfoundland to refuel
while the 707 made the journey non stop.

I suggest you work on your reading skills.

Keith

Old January 26th 04, 01:23 AM
Spiv

"John Mullen" wrote in message
Spiv wrote:

(snip)

No, *this* is balls. April 8 1954 was the last of *three* Comet crashes
through the same cause. October 19 1954 was the date of publication of
the crash report giving metal fatigue as the cause. July 15, 1954 was
the date of the 707 prototype's first flight.

The prototype was not the finished article. Also British research on

the
Comet was ongoing from the first crash. All this went to the USA.

The 707 was a better, safer plane than the Comet. End of story.

IT was a larger plane

Yes.

B707

Wingspan 145 feet 9 inches (44.42 m)
Length 152 feet 11 inches (46.6 m)
Wing Area 3,010 square feet (280 m2)

Comet

Dimensions [m] Comet 1 Comet 1A Comet 2
Overall length 28.61 28.61 29.53
Wing span 34.98 34.98 34.98
Wing surface [m2] 188.3 188.3 188.3

Actually making it bigger with a thicker skin and oval windows were all
(obviously) designed into the 707 *way* before the Comet crashes.

with 10 years of the Comet before it to fall back on.

No. See actual dates from my previous post.

The world's first transatlantic service was by the Comet not the 707.

No. See Keith's post.

I did and it is just inane babble. The Comet was first in 1958.

Better
plane? The Nimrod, which still fly's today, is a "Comet".

Absolutely not. You are in fantasy land if you think the Comet was in
any sense 'better' than the 707. It had a truly awful safety record.

The crashes were put right. The Nimrod (a Comet) and the Comet have flow
many miles and years and the Nimrod is still flying.

The perpetuation of the Nimrod has
been IMO a financial and military
disaster for Britain.

The Nimrod (a Comet) is a cost effective plane and very god at what it does.

And, as Keith points out, military versions of the
707 are still pretty common, certainly more so than the Nimrod. Who else
other than us flies the Nimrod? Who else other than UK and commonwealth
carriers ever even flew the Comet? How many were built compared to the
707? etc etc...

The USA did give tasters to many buyers.

I quite like Jeremy Clarkson, but if watching the occasional bit of TV
is the sum of your knowledge about aviation (as it appears), you should
maybe go away and read up a bit more before posting here.

I worked in aviation.

No offence, but that isn't always obvious from the things you post.

Then pay attention.

---

Old January 26th 04, 01:23 AM
Spiv

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Spiv" wrote in message

The world's first transatlantic service was by the Comet not the 707.

I believe the world's first transatlantic air service was by the zeppelin.
The world's first transatlantic service by airplane was by Pan Am and the
Boeing 314.

The topic is jet airliners.

---

Old January 26th 04, 01:26 AM
Spiv

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Spiv" wrote in message

See my other post on this.

I saw it. I was not impressed.

Then pay attention.

It wasn't, here is the final report.

The research into the Comet was vital for many subsequent designs. The
prime problems with the Comet was that they would not develop a more
powerful engine because of costs. So they made the skin far too thin

for
light weight to suit an existing engine. The square windows didn't help

at
all.

That's a report?

The final one. It say so up there.

If a more powerful engine (and thicker skin) and oval windows used in

the
initial design, it would have worked very well. But!!!! Many subsequent
planes would have fallen out of the sky with the problems the Comet had

in
metal fatigue, etc. In hindsight the Comets research made all jet

planes
far safer, and saved many lives.

How so? Boeing made those "changes" without the report on the Comet's
problems.

You didn't get the point. Please focus.

---

Old January 26th 04, 01:28 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Spiv" wrote in message

The world's first transatlantic service was by the Comet not the 707.

I believe the world's first transatlantic air service was by the

zeppelin.
The world's first transatlantic service by airplane was by Pan Am and

the
Boeing 314.

The topic is jet airliners.

I thought the subject was, "Why We Lost The Vietnam War"

Old January 26th 04, 01:34 AM
Brett

"Spiv" wrote in message

[...]

Are you one of Traver's relatives?

Old January 26th 04, 01:37 AM
John Mullen

Tarver Engineering wrote:

"Spiv" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
thlink.net...

"Spiv" wrote in message

The world's first transatlantic service was by the Comet not the 707.

I believe the world's first transatlantic air service was by the

zeppelin.

The world's first transatlantic service by airplane was by Pan Am and

the

Boeing 314.

The topic is jet airliners.

I thought the subject was, "Why We Lost The Vietnam War"

LOL!

I would be *very* worried if I were you John. Someone has just made a
claim on your position in this NG!

John

Old January 26th 04, 01:41 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Spiv" wrote in message

The world's first transatlantic service was by the Comet not the 707.

I believe the world's first transatlantic air service was by the

zeppelin.

The world's first transatlantic service by airplane was by Pan Am and

the

Boeing 314.

The topic is jet airliners.

I thought the subject was, "Why We Lost The Vietnam War"

LOL!

I would be *very* worried if I were you John. Someone has just made a
claim on your position in this NG!

I am impressed that Spiv can read and comprehend, unlike Mullen and
Willshaw.

Old January 26th 04, 01:42 AM
Spiv

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

Can't you do anything right?
http://user.itl.net/~colonial/comet/history.html

On the 4th October 1958 two B.O.A.C. Comet 4s inaugurated the first

regular
transatlantic jet passenger service - another first for British

innovation.

But not non-stop, it had to stop in Newfoundland to refuel

Which side of the Atlantic is Newfoundland?

---

Old January 26th 04, 01:43 AM
John Mullen

Tarver Engineering wrote:

"Spiv" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

"Spiv" wrote in message

The world's first transatlantic service was by the Comet not the 707.

I believe the world's first transatlantic air service was by the

zeppelin.

The world's first transatlantic service by airplane was by Pan Am and

the

Boeing 314.

The topic is jet airliners.

I thought the subject was, "Why We Lost The Vietnam War"

LOL!

I would be *very* worried if I were you John. Someone has just made a
claim on your position in this NG!

I am impressed that Spiv can read and comprehend, unlike Mullen and
Willshaw.

Now wait a minute... you wouldn't be doing a sock puppet on us here
would you?

John