Friendly Fire Notebook

Old April 1st 04, 06:00 AM
Otis Willie

Default Friendly Fire Notebook

Friendly Fire Notebook

An effort has begun to collect and preserve the details of every
friendly fire incident that took or changed the lives of American
soldiers.

Since the Revolutionary War thousands upon thousands of military
personnel have been injured or killed due to mistaken or intentional,
American friendly fire.

All are invited to participate in this project. For more information
please access URL:

http://members.aol.com/amerwar/ff/ff.htm

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
Old April 2nd 04, 12:11 AM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 05:00:19 GMT, Otis Willie
wrote:

Friendly Fire Notebook

An effort has begun to collect and preserve the details of every
friendly fire incident that took or changed the lives of American
soldiers.

Since the Revolutionary War thousands upon thousands of military
personnel have been injured or killed due to mistaken or intentional,
American friendly fire.

All are invited to participate in this project. For more information
please access URL:

GMAFB! Do we have "friendly fire" incidents reported from the
Revolutionary War? Really?

"Thousands upon thousands...." Really? Do we have bit of hyperbole
here? Is the result of this "project" predetermined? How many
first-hand accounts do we expect to glean of blue-on-blue incidents
from the Revolution, War of 1812, Civil War, Spanish-American War,
World War I.....?

Is this rigorous study going to be subject to academic peer review?

Oh,.....never mind.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old April 2nd 04, 12:26 AM
D. Strang

"Ed Rasimus" wrote
Otis Willie wrote:

Friendly Fire Notebook

GMAFB!

YGTBSM!

This makes as much sense as a Purple Heart Registry (Ho, man!)

Old April 2nd 04, 12:48 AM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:26:15 -0600, "D. Strang"
wrote:

YGTBSM!

Since this is a newsgroup dedicated to factual precision--measuring
with a micrometer, marking with a greasepencil and cutting with a
chainsaw, let me provide a minor correction to your expletive---

The proper phrasing is YGBSM, since "Gotta" is a contraction and only
one word. It was first uttered by Jack Donovan, original F-100F Weasel
Bear upon getting the first briefing of what their mission was going
to be.

He'd come a long way from the bowels of a B-52 to the R/C/P of a Hun.

Old April 2nd 04, 04:01 AM
Pete

"Ed Rasimus" wrote
wrote:

YGTBSM!

Since this is a newsgroup dedicated to factual precision--measuring
with a micrometer, marking with a greasepencil and cutting with a
chainsaw, let me provide a minor correction to your expletive---

The proper phrasing is YGBSM, since "Gotta" is a contraction and only
one word. It was first uttered by Jack Donovan, original F-100F Weasel
Bear upon getting the first briefing of what their mission was going
to be.

One of the ACC Generals of the mid 90's had a customization of his email
program to allow, among other things, a one button reply of "YGBSM"

Pete

Old April 2nd 04, 05:50 AM
Kevin Brooks

news
wrote:

[...]

While I have to agree with your assessment of the usefullness of this
"study" (not to mention suspecting the very nature of the "AWL" invovement,
since ol' Otis' group has a rather fishy background), and I truly the am
disgusted by the likes of the Henry Cobb's of this world who sit back and
point accusing fingers at incidents like the more recent A-10/USMC incident,
the number of "thousands upon thousands" is probably quite accurate. George
Washington commented on an early fratricide incident that caused significant
casualties even before this period, during the French and Indian War. During
the first significant land battle of the Civil War, at Big Bethel in
Virginia, the Federal's accounted for most of their own casualties (which
totaled some 80 personnel) when two of their elements started firing at each
other due to mistaken identity. That is just two examples from our early
history; come forward to WWII and Operation COBRA, where we bombed the poor
30th Infantry Division not once, but twice, causing hundreds (IIRC the total
came to around 600) of friendly casualties. One unit during one operation
during one war therefore gets you over halfway to your first thousand. How
many US Army paratroopers were killed during the ill-fated airborne
operation at the start of the invasion of Sicily, when the USN opened up on
the C-47's? How many "short" artillery volleys were fired during both World
War's, and what was their toll? In the end, I doubt very seriously the
aggregate total would not be quite a few thousands of casualties due to
fratricide over the course of our military history.

Old April 2nd 04, 05:01 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 03:01:02 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

One of the ACC Generals of the mid 90's had a customization of his email
program to allow, among other things, a one button reply of "YGBSM"

Pete

I had a boss in ATC Hq when I was exiled there for about 18 months who
peppered the daily TWX read-file with obscure acronyms which were
always fun to decipher.

I learned the meaning of WGAS, WTFO, BTSOM, GMAFB, and the truly
elusive but often appropriate, ROMFYOYO.

No telling where this convolution of the thread might lead.

Old April 2nd 04, 11:32 PM
BUFDRVR

He'd come a long way from the bowels of a B-52 to the R/C/P of a Hun.

Technically speaking, he didn't come from the "bowels" per se, but from the
"back corner". The term "bowels" is reserved for the BUFF offense team.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old April 2nd 04, 11:34 PM
BUFDRVR

I learned the meaning of WGAS, WTFO, BTSOM, GMAFB, and the truly
elusive but often appropriate, ROMFYOYO.

I spent an entire morning hearing the oft repeated acronym OBE. At lunch I had
to ask what the hell it meant. Out of 6 guys, only 1 knew.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

"Friendly fire" Mike Military Aviation 0 March 19th 04 03:36 PM
B-52 crew blamed for friendly fire death Paul Hirose Military Aviation 0 March 16th 04 01:49 AM
U.S. won't have to reveal other friendly fire events: Schmidt's lawyers hoped to use other incidents to help their case Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 18th 03 09:44 PM
Fire officer tops in field — again Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 13th 03 08:37 PM
Friendly fire pilot may testify against wingman Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 11th 03 09:32 PM