Aviation Movies?

Old June 2nd 05, 03:02 AM
Matt Barrow

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Matt Barrow" wrote)
It took me two minutes to switch from DiCaprio to Hughes - tops.

Having spent numerous hours watching/hearing him while a then-teenaged
daughter when gaa-gaa over him a few years back (on DVD), I had trouble
getting his role in _Titanic_ out of my head.

I think that's why he was introduced to us (in the movie) the way he was -
forcefully, go, go, go. No time to compare. That's what I assumed Scorsese
was up to ...it worked for me.

What did your daughter think of him in The Aviator? Did his Hughes *work*
for her?

Well, she's 20 now, rather than 13, but she was fairly impressed (though she
thinks he's uggggly).

She was impressed, too, by the interviews (on the 2nd DVD) and by the fact
he had done a lot of research and acted as executive producer.

One nit about The Aviator - for me, the script was lacking (often uneven)
and was only rescued by good directing, good acting and great sets.

I still think the movie with Tommy Lee Jones as Hughes, (The Amazing Howard
Hughes), was better as a biography and less inclined towards his mental
illness which I think of as secondary to his great accomplishments. If you
get the two disk DVD, see the extra features part about his incredible
contributions to aviation.

Old June 2nd 05, 04:34 AM
Antoņio

Dave Stadt wrote:
Your "insights" are certainly not shared by the majority of the
industry.

That is the highest compliment I have been paid in a long, long, long time.
If I start thinking like the nit wits in la la land it's time seek serious
help.

Antonio

Interesting....so by that line of reasoning the less people that agree
with you the more you are assured you are correct?

Antonio

Old June 2nd 05, 04:44 AM
Dave Stadt

"Antoņio" wrote in message
Dave Stadt wrote:
Your "insights" are certainly not shared by the majority of the
industry.

That is the highest compliment I have been paid in a long, long, long

time.
If I start thinking like the nit wits in la la land it's time seek

serious
help.

Antonio

Interesting....so by that line of reasoning the less people that agree
with you the more you are assured you are correct?

Antonio

Read it again only a little slower this time and make sure you read all the
words.

Old June 2nd 05, 11:58 PM
Tina Marie

In article , Dave Burton wrote:
Here is you chance to suggest movies to show at a fly-in. I'd
appreciate any suggestions for newer movies, available on DVD or video
tape. We've seen all the oldies. I've got to stick to PG films for

All of them?

If you want campy aviation movies, check out "Time Chasers" (a guy
builds a time machine into a Citabria. Great air-to-air shootout
with a Cherokee), or "Skydivers" (1960s, where the skydivers do their
own acting...)

Tina Marie
--
http://www.tripacerdriver.com "...One of the main causes
of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way
Old June 3rd 05, 12:34 AM
Tina Marie

In article .com, james wrote:
was it recent? the one with harrison ford and anne hech? the movie
(and title), to me were forgettable

6 Day And 7 Nights. Had some great Beaver shots.

The PG-rated kind.

Tina Marie
Old June 3rd 05, 11:59 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:59:18 -0500, "Montblack"
wrote:

(About The Aviator)

One of the best parts of the movie!

I thought so, too. And I almost boycotted it because I couldn't
imagine that boy-man as Howard Hughes. Did he get an Oscar for it? He
should have.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old June 3rd 05, 01:11 PM
Corky Scott

There is also "Cloud Dancer" starring Keith Carradine, Jennifer O'Neil
and Timothy Bottoms. It's about an aerobatics pilot who begins to
suffer some physical damage from his strenuous routines and has to
decide what his future will be.

There's also drug running in there somewhere and a "dogfight" between
a P-51 Mustang (fully armed), and a Cherokee (I think it was a
Cherokee).

Lots and lots of flying action, but I don't think the film is
available anymore.

Corky Scott

Old June 3rd 05, 05:27 PM
George Patterson

Corky Scott wrote:

Lots and lots of flying action, but I don't think the film is
available anymore.

Amazon has several used copies at prices in the $30 and up range.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 3rd 05, 06:55 PM
Montblack

("Cub Driver" wrote)
I thought so, too. And I almost boycotted it because I couldn't
imagine that boy-man as Howard Hughes. Did he get an Oscar for it? He
should have.

Jamie Foxx - RAY

http://www.filmsite.org/oscars00.html 00's

http://www.filmsite.org/oscars90.html 90's

http://www.filmsite.org/oscars80.html 80's

http://www.filmsite.org/oscars70.html 70's

http://www.filmsite.org/oscars60.html 60's

http://www.filmsite.org/oscars50.html 50's

http://www.filmsite.org/oscars40.html 40's

http://www.filmsite.org/oscars30.html 30's

I looked under 1976 but there weren't any writing credits listed :-)

Montblack
Old June 4th 05, 12:29 PM
gregg

Corky Scott wrote:

There is also "Cloud Dancer" starring Keith Carradine, Jennifer O'Neil
and Timothy Bottoms. It's about an aerobatics pilot who begins to
suffer some physical damage from his strenuous routines and has to
decide what his future will be.

There's also drug running in there somewhere and a "dogfight" between
a P-51 Mustang (fully armed), and a Cherokee (I think it was a
Cherokee).

Lots and lots of flying action, but I don't think the film is
available anymore.

Corky Scott

Hi Corky,

There was a movie called "Wings of Fire" wiht Suzanne Pleshette and james
Farentino. Pleshette's "father" owned a struggling aero operation and
Pleshette flew P-51's in races.

You got to see some pretty good P-51 flying, F*F Bearcat flying and, of
course....

Susan Pleshette ;^)

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Trying to Fly AliR Piloting 33 May 9th 05 12:00 AM
How safe is it, really? June Piloting 227 December 10th 04 05:01 AM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Home Built 3 May 14th 04 11:55 AM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 May 11th 04 10:43 PM