Inertial sensing in Butterfly Vario, TE vs Airmass indicators

Old June 4th 13, 08:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics

Default Inertial sensing in Butterfly Vario, TE vs Airmass indicators

Dear Dale,

it is very important in a two-seater setup that you setup both display units with the appropriate peripherals-settings.

In Detail:
Go to Menu Setup Device Peripherals and set all the connected peripherals in each unit.

Please also set the CANaerospace Node ID of one Display to "2", you can do this in Menu Setup Device.

Best wishes
Marc
Old June 4th 13, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 12:49:36 AM UTC-7, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
Dear Dale,

it is very important in a two-seater setup that you setup both display units with the appropriate peripherals-settings.

In Detail:

Go to Menu Setup Device Peripherals and set all the connected peripherals in each unit.

Please also set the CANaerospace Node ID of one Display to "2", you can do this in Menu Setup Device.

Best wishes

Marc

Marc, is there a document describing the menu tree? The manual available online is not comprehensive.
Old June 12th 13, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc,

If I connect one of my butterflies to a portable flarm with the RJ45 cable, will it then send the flarm data to the second butterlfy?

Thanks
Dale
Old June 12th 13, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dale,

yes it does. You tell the system where the FLARM is connected, then the other unit with no connected FLARM gets all the data passed through.

Best wishes
Marc

Old June 16th 13, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc,

I flew this weekend and now I have more questions.

1. I connected my power flarm portable to the rear seat vario, and turned on the flarm designator in both units. The rear seat display worked but not the front. How do I get both to display traffic.

2. Does the flarm screen with the bigX only change when traffic is near, or should it have a different screen once the Flarm is connected? In my case the rear unit switched to a flarm screen only when traffic was near. The front display never did anything.

3. I tried all kinds of settings for the SC dead band, and had my rear seat passenger duplicate those settings. At no time did I achive a deadband, or notice any change at all. What am I doing wrong? What settings would you suggest for a fairly wide cruise audio dead band?

4. What baud rate, and sentence should I select in the Flarm setup page?

5. Where do I change the volume for the voice commands and alarms?

The rear unit is designated #1 and the front #2 . The Flarm is connected to the rear #1 unit.

Thanks once again for your help. I love the instrument in spite of all the teething problems.

Dale

3.
Old June 17th 13, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dale:

I also have a dual Butterfly setup, and to get Flarm on both, I actually had to independently wire the Flarm core (formerly known as the brick) to both Butterfly vario units independently. I was not able to get the master vario to pass Flarm traffic data to the second unit. Perhaps this has been fixed in the most recent software update?

Marc:

It seems that you cannot get the Butterfly vario traffic page to identify Flarm traffic and let you select individual targets to display distances, climb rates, etc. Marc, will this be feature be coming in a future update? It would be nice to have the Butterfly vario units obsolete the need for a separate Flarm display.

Chris
Old June 17th 13, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics

Dale,

1. I connected my power flarm portable to the rear seat vario, and turned on the flarm designator in both units. The rear seat display worked but not the front. How do I get both to display traffic.

The peripherals settings are there to tell each unit what is directly connected. You need to switch FLARM off in the peripheral settings of the unit it is not connected to, then it will get data from the other unit.

2. Does the flarm screen with the bigX only change when traffic is near, or should it have a different screen once the Flarm is connected? In my case the rear unit switched to a flarm screen only when traffic was near. The front display never did anything.

This depends on your FLARM range. It always displays traffic that is received.

3. I tried all kinds of settings for the SC dead band, and had my rear seat passenger duplicate those settings. At no time did I achive a deadband, or notice any change at all. What am I doing wrong? What settings would you suggest for a fairly wide cruise audio dead band?

I'd suggest about 10%, but that just me. (I've heard many options on this ranging from 1 to 15%). Are you sure that your mode-switching works good (i.e. sc to var mode switching)?

4. What baud rate, and sentence should I select in the Flarm setup page?

GPS and Traffic, 38400Bd.

5. Where do I change the volume for the voice commands and alarms?

With the upper rotary knob. You can push the button to access a menu that changes all volumes (SC/VAR/Voice) independently.

Best regards
Marc

Old June 17th 13, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics

Chris,

I was not able to get the master vario to pass Flarm traffic data to the second unit. Perhaps this has been fixed in the most recent software update?

Yes, this now works since software 1.06.

It seems that you cannot get the Butterfly vario traffic page to identify Flarm traffic and let you select individual targets to display distances, climb rates, etc. Marc, will this be feature be coming in a future update? It would be nice to have the Butterfly vario units obsolete the need for a separate Flarm display.

We may do that in the future, however actually we do not intend to integrate too many features that obsolete traffic displays and require in-flight user input. We believe that traffic should be displayed prominently on a separate screen directly in the line of sight when looking outside and that there should be no user interaction required.

Cheers
Marc