signal splitter

Old November 5th 05, 03:26 PM
Tri-Pacer

Default signal splitter

I have on hand a triplexer with outputs for 2 VORs and one GS with one
antenna input.

I know that there will be signal attenuation with this setup, but what will
be the real world effect? Will the VOR receiver be so desensitized that it
will be next to useless?

Will the ILS performance suffer greatly?

If I remove one of the VOR receivers should I terminate the unused output
with a 50 ohm resistor?

I have a fabric plane and adding antennas is a bit of a challenge.

Thanks

Paul
N1431A

Old November 5th 05, 05:48 PM
RST Engineering

"Tri-Pacer" wrote in message
I have on hand a triplexer with outputs for 2 VORs and one GS with one
antenna input.

I know that there will be signal attenuation with this setup, but what
will be the real world effect? Will the VOR receiver be so desensitized
that it will be next to useless?

If the antenna fed to the VOR/LOC receiver directly allowed usable signal
out to 100 miles, putting the splitter in the line reduces the usable signal
to 70 miles. i.e. a 30% reduction in range. In practice hardly noticeable.

Will the ILS performance suffer greatly?

The localizer range is affected identically to the VOR signal as described
above. The range to glide slope will have practically no change.

If I remove one of the VOR receivers should I terminate the unused output
with a 50 ohm resistor?

It is generally considered a good idea to do so. A quarter-watt 47 ohm
carbon resistor will work quite well and can be soldered directly into a BNC
(m) connector.

Jim

Old November 5th 05, 09:47 PM
Tri-Pacer

I love this group.

Thanks Jim

"Signal jamming a factor in future wars, general says" Mike Military Aviation 23 August 24th 11 02:17 AM
GPS - losing signal Hilton Piloting 6 October 23rd 05 07:18 PM
spurious ELT signal F.L. Whiteley Soaring 4 October 20th 04 03:01 PM
Man gets knock on door after TV set emits distress signal Aardvark Piloting 7 October 20th 04 01:34 AM
Commercial - New Data Splitter for 2-Seat Gliders John Giddy Soaring 3 September 17th 03 06:01 AM