Priceless in Afganistan

Old February 22nd 04, 02:55 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
Ken Duffey wrote:

breyfogle wrote:

Priceless in Afghanistan

Snip..........

The controller says, "Ah-- guys-- you might want to plug your ears". Faster
than you can
think a B-1, supersonic, 1000' over our
heads, blasts the sound barrier and it feels like God just hit you in the
head with a hammer". He then stands it
straight up with 4 white trails of flame coming out and disappears.

I get your point - but can a Bone do 'supersonic' at 1,000 feet ????

1,000' MSL would be underground over much of Afghanistan, IIRC.

The lowest parts of the country are about 500' MSL, up near the northern
border with Turkmenestan. Most of the ground runs 2000' and higher.

Also - I have seen a B-1 do a max rate climb - but 'straight up' ??

A little hyperbole there I think ?

A good tale, nonetheless..........

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Old February 22nd 04, 04:41 AM
BUFDRVR

For a short while perhaps, but surely the behemoth cannot *sustain*
a 60-deg (relative to the horizon) climb.

You start at 360 KIAS and end around 225 KIAS and about 15,000 higher than when
you started. It takes about 60-70 seconds.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 22nd 04, 06:43 PM
John

Blair Maynard wrotever there weren't nearly as entertaining. The

most
dramatic thing I did was turn day into night by putting out all 196 of

our
flares, well actually the EW did it, but damn it, it was my idea

"Day into night"?

New flare model, it absorbs light.

Ahh Haaa the Infamous "Darksucker"

http://webpages.marshall.edu/~hartwe...er_theory.html

Old February 24th 04, 05:54 AM
Blair Maynard

No. The darksuckers are the older standard models. Using the same
vernacular, the new ones would be called "lightsuckers." But the theory is
the same.