GPS Flight Recorder Comparison page

Old November 10th 04, 11:04 PM
Paul Remde

Hi Bela,

Good point. Many people fly with Pocket PCs connected to their 302s.
However, Pocket PCs with soaring flight software can be connected to any of
the GPS flight recorders listed in the comparison with similar results
(moving map, final glide, etc.), so I'm not sure that it would be fair to
list that only with the 302. Does that make sense? My plan is the leave
the comparison as it is and add more detail to my soaring flight computer
comparison when it is completed (soon I hope). I already list a complete
system with a 302 and Pocket PC on my Example Systems page.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Bela" wrote in message
om...
Paul,
if I did not happen to own a Cambridge 302 / 304 combo your chart
would make me think that I don't have moving map, navigation,
airspace, etc. functions.
Bela

Old November 11th 04, 10:06 PM
Bela

Hi Paul,

I never bothered to evaluate the various systems before I bought mine,
simply followed the recommendation of an experienced racer & multiple
record holder pilot friend and am happy with his choice. Therefore I
know next to nothing about the other systems.

This may be a tall order, but could you somehow cross reference
compatibility with the various Pocket PCs suported AND the software
capabilities they run? This would probably take two additional
matrix, but what the heck, the winter months are coming... :-)

If my friend did not tell me about GNII I would still be running the
original CAI software...

Bela

Old November 11th 04, 10:16 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I am finding different numbers than you are for the Colibri's logger memory
capacity. The Colibri manual does not seem to list a total number of hours.
The Colibri has a default sampling rate of 12 seconds. It reports it can
log for 71.7 hours at that sampling rate. I then set it to a 4 second
sampling rate and it displayed 23.9 hours available. I've updated my web
site with that number.

The Colibri can be configured to record more or less data if necessary. I'm
using the default settings for my testing.

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Michael McNulty" wrote in message

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

I've just completed the first shot at my GPS Flight Recorder Comparison
page. I could use help with suggestions for the comparison table. I

want
it to be fair and complete. I'm sure there are a few products missing
that
I should add. I'm sure there are also additional features I should
compare.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/loggers.htm

I sincerely try to add value with my web site. If you find my product
comparisons valuable, please buy from me.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

The value given for the Colibri logger's memory capacity is incorrect.

The Filser web site give 104 hours at 12 sec intervals, or 34.7 hours at
your 4 sec interval. I know that some sources also quote the 50 hours at

12
sec, but I believe that the Filser value is vaalid. To be certain, I've
just checked my Colibri and it currently contains over 32 hours of data,

all
recorded at a 4 second interval.

Old November 12th 04, 01:26 AM
Paul Remde

Hi Bela,

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for. Any
Pocket PC can run most any flight software. Conversely, most all software
runs on most all Pocket PCs. That is not completely correct - some software
won't run on the older Compaq Aero 1550 units. I have a detailed comparison
of flight software he http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/software-ppc.htm If
you look down at the bottom half of the table it lists how well each program
connects to a variety of soaring flight computers and flight recorders.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

om...

Old November 12th 04, 04:03 AM
Martin Hellman

Some data fields that would be helpful:

Power consumption.

Weight.

Can it record engine noise in a MG? If so, optional or standard?

Is there an internal battery requiring periodic replacement? If so,
how long does it last and can replacement be done in the field, or is
a factory return necessary? (This is the one annoying thing about the
Colibri. It does require factory return every few years according to
the manual.)

NMEA output? (relates to moving map issues brought up)

Another suggestion: I'd use a longer interval than 4 seconds for the
logging since that is much shorter than most of us would use and
therefore gives a poor indication of true duration. For example, my
Colibri's default is 12 seconds, except near turnpoints where it
automatically goes to 2 seconds. I find that very adequate, and the 70
hours of duration I get (including engine noise -- otherwise I think
it woud be 80 hours) allows me to do a week long safari and not lose
any data. (I don't carry a laptop with me, so have to download at the
end of the trip.) Listing the Colibri at 20 hours (4 sec interval)
would give a very different impression.

Here is my Colibri's technical data for your matrix:

-Current consumption.......................... 100 mA / 12 V
- 16 channel GPS receiver - NMEA and Winpilot output
- Dimensions..................................... 55x100x32mm
- Engine noise sensor is standard equipment
- Zoom feature
- Data Retention................................. Internal Lithium
Battery