Ventus bt handling

Old May 24th 11, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jorge Antonio Blanco Montagut

Default Ventus bt handling

Hi,

Yes, there are a lot of post about it, in fact, my brain is quite
messy with them, so ...

I´ve flown Twin Astir I and II, ASK-21, PW-5, Astir CS, Pegase and
LS-7 and now i would like to take a step forward buying a Ventus bt,
the problem is that i don´t know anybody who owns one and i would like
as much information as possible about its handling.

I know that its difficult to compare a LS-7 (a craft i love) with a
Ventus bt, but i have no other experience ...

The two point i´m most interested are its "hands off abilities" and
the dealing with weak days.

Thanks and happy landings :-)
Old May 25th 11, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

Johann owns one flying out of Salt Lake City, Utah and I am sure he
would be happy to talk to you. Instead of posting his contact info on
this page, here is a link to a webpage with his info:

http://www.utahsoaring.org/ClubInfo/BoardOfDirectors

Hope this helps.
Bruno - B4
Old May 25th 11, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
YourNameHere

Great glider
Ailerons can be heavy only because of wing to aileron interference, but
can easily be relieved per Dick Johnson notes that are floating around.
Will climb with everything else, but takes a bit more attention to get
the best performance.
When loaded with water, use the landing flap setting when flying small
or choppy thermals.
Trailing edge airbrakes are very effective.
Replace the standard factory plastic tail wheel with a roller blade
wheel if not already done.
Make sure the water dump valve mechanism is in good shape as repairing
means cutting into the wing.

More than happy to answer any other questions. I owned a BT for 3 years.

Old May 25th 11, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 25, 9:37*pm, YourNameHere wrote:
[...]

Well, i´m not a racer pilot, i only want to have a good glider in
which i would be able to fly far relaxed and also in which i wouldn´t
have to run the engine meanwhile a Libelle floats around, of course
there will be days in which i will be full of water, but this is not
the most important for me, the important thing was to know if a Ventus
bt pilot had to be some kind of hero :-)
Old May 26th 11, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
wladkummer76

Just did the repair on my Ventus a. Indeed the ballast valve mechanism
will eventually fail. The repair is not that difficult, though, but
will need a 8x4" hole on the wing top skin near the root rib.

My "a" climbs with everything else, but since it has a neutral
stability you needs do feed constant controls inputs which makes the
flight a little more tiring than a Standard ship. Seems it like a
little more speed in thermals than current generation ships. My Ventus
sure outruns most current 15m ships out there. Did the Dick´s
recommendation and my ailerons are NOT heavy anymore. Be sure also to
remove the spring centering mechanism.

On May 25, 3:37*pm, YourNameHere wrote:
[...]

Thanks and happy landings :-)- Hide quoted text -

Old May 27th 11, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On May 26, 7:52*am, wladkummer76 wrote:
[...]

Regarding the Dick Johnson "recommendations" on "heavy" Ventus aileron
fix, where can these be found? I had no luck with both SSA search and
google search. I'd sure appreciate finding this info.

Bob

Old May 27th 11, 10:07 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
[...]

Hi, try this

http://www.archive.jimphoenix.com/ar...20Ailerons.doc

Colin
Old May 27th 11, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Regarding the Dick Johnson "recommendations" on "heavy" Ventus aileron
fix, where can these be found? *I had no luck with both SSA search and
google search. *I'd sure appreciate finding this info.

The wing skin on the Ventus (and many others) can start to rub on the
flaps and ailerons. This will leave black rub-marks on the controls.
The fix is to slide 60 grit sandpaper in the gap with grit up (wing
side) and run it back and forth while moving the control up and down
until the control moves freely in all positions. Do about 3 feet at a
time on both sides of both wings. It will take a good afternoon to
accomplish. Wear gloves as the sanded edge will become sharp as a
razor. Bend the sandpaper up on the last strokes to round off this
razor edge.
Have fun,
JJ
Old May 27th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On May 27, 6:38*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Regarding the Dick Johnson "recommendations" on "heavy" Ventus aileron
fix, where can these be found? *I had no luck with both SSA search and
google search. *I'd sure appreciate finding this info.

The wing skin on the Ventus (and many others) can start to rub on the
flaps and ailerons. This will leave black rub-marks on the controls.
The fix is to slide 60 grit sandpaper in the gap with grit up (wing
side) and run it back and forth while moving the control up and down
until the control moves freely in all positions. Do about 3 feet at a
time on both sides of both wings. It will take a good afternoon to
accomplish. Wear gloves as the sanded edge will become sharp as a
razor. Bend the sandpaper up on the last strokes to round off this
razor edge.
Have fun,
JJ

great tip JJ......................I know my sailplane could benefit
from this!

Brad
Old May 27th 11, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

[...]

The comment"be sure to remove the centering spring mechanism". I'd
appreciate more comment on that, please.

Bob