PowerFLARM News Updates on my FLARM web page

Old March 3rd 13, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default PowerFLARM News Updates on my FLARM web page

Hi,

I have pulled together the latest PowerFLARM news and put it onto my FLARM
web page. If you have been following recent posts here there is no new
information there. But I did do my best to explain the news.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm#News

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old March 4th 13, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:36:25 PM UTC-8, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I have pulled together the latest PowerFLARM news and put it onto my FLARM

web page. If you have been following recent posts here there is no new

information there. But I did do my best to explain the news.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm#News

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Paul,
I have just started down the road of updating my Powerflarm gear for the season. It could not be more arcane. I am making a list of information sources and I wonder if you know of a list of the Dump Codes, the ones that are returned when you put the listcode into the USB drive.

Also I am struggling to understand the difference between the data stored and used by the Butterfly display as opposed to the Powerflarm, the cables needed to update the Butterfly, and similar odd bits of information. Are there information site with that information or is it a giant Easter egg hunt through RAS?

Thank you,
Brian

Old March 4th 13, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Brian,

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I completely understand your note below. I
think we are using different terminology. I'm not suggesting that I'm using
correct terminology, only that it is not clear to me what you are looking
for. Below is my best shot at answering your questions.

By "listcode" do you mean the PowerFLARM configuration text file? There are
example (and well commented) PowerFLARM configuration files available using
the 2 links below. Most customers start with one of these files and make
only minor changes to the files for their particular glider.
http://powerflarm.us/manuals-softwar...release-notes/
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm (near the top of the page) This one
is a slightly modified version of the one above.

I don't know what the "Dump Codes" are. But you can find complete and
detailed port protocol documents he
http://powerflarm.us/manuals-softwar...release-notes/ at the
bottom of the page.

The PowerFLARM display has its own firmware. The FlarmNet files are stored
on the Butterfly display. To update the firmware in the Butterfly display
or transfer a FlarmNet file to the Butterfly you need a special serial
cable. I have the cable here and can do the upgrade for you here. However,
it is my understanding that the next version of PowerFLARM firmware will
make it possible to upgrade the Butterfly display firmware and FlarmNet file
by putting the files onto a memory card or USB Flash drive and connected to
the PowerFLARM unit. Therefore, the serial cable will no longer be needed
very soon.

Much of the data information you are looking for is in the product manuals
which are available he
http://powerflarm.us/manuals-softwar...release-notes/

I'll be glad to add more "Tips" to my FLARM web site based on your
suggestions.

Feel free to ask detailed questions here or call me sometime.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
__________________________________

Old March 4th 13, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:36:25 PM UTC-8, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I have pulled together the latest PowerFLARM news and put it onto my FLARM

web page. If you have been following recent posts here there is no new

information there. But I did do my best to explain the news.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm#News

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Hi Paul,
I will dig through the RAS posts and try to find the example of what I am asking. I recall that there were text strings that could be added to the CONFIG file that would cause Powerflarm to report back some information. For example what the current firmware was, so you would know that the firmware had indeed updated.
I see that the Butterfly website says that you can update it's files without the cable you refer to using only a USB drive. Do you know what the latest is on that? Are you correct or are they?

I read on your site that early powerflarms needed to be sent back and upgraded but a private email clarifies that only the portables need to be sent back, I misread the information on your site.

I regret dragging everyone back through all this and wish there was a central and accurate sorce of information.

I really thank Paul R and everyone else for your assistance.

Brian
Old March 4th 13, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Brian,

Please see my notes below marked with ***.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
________________________________
Hi Paul,
I will dig through the RAS posts and try to find the example of what I am
asking. I recall that there were text strings that could be added to the
CONFIG file that would cause Powerflarm to report back some information.
For example what the current firmware was, so you would know that the
firmware had indeed updated.

*** The latest version of the Butterfly (3.1) and PowerFLARM (2.60) firmware
make it possible for the Butterfly display to the PowerFLARM's firmware
version if you press the button when prompted at power-up.

I see that the Butterfly website says that you can update it's files without
the cable you refer to using only a USB drive. Do you know what the latest
is on that? Are you correct or are they?

*** I suspect that you were looking at data related to the Butterfly vario.
But as I mentioned in a previous post yesterday, when the next version of
PowerFLARM firmware becomes available ( 2.60) it should be possible to
update the Butterfly FLARM display's firmware using a USB Flash Drive
(PowerFLARM Core/Brick) or microSD card (PowerFLARM Portable). You will put
the update firmware and latest FlarmNet files onto the memory device and
plug it into the PowerFLARM. At power-up (I think) it will update the
firmware and FlarmNet files in the Butterfly display.

I read on your site that early powerflarms needed to be sent back and
upgraded but a private email clarifies that only the portables need to be
sent back, I misread the information on your site.

*** I think it's pretty clear on my web site. I'll try to make it more
clear. It is only PowerFLARM Portables with serial numbers of less than
1471 that need the hardware upgrade.

I regret dragging everyone back through all this and wish there was a
central and accurate source of information.

*** The central source of information is:
http://powerflarm.us/manuals-softwar...release-notes/
*** I have added a lot of supplemental information to my web site. I hope
it will be a valuable resource. If you find it useful, please buy from me.

Old March 5th 13, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 2:36:25 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi, I have pulled together the latest PowerFLARM news and put it onto my FLARM web page.

That site states "The upgrade must be completed by May 31, 2013. After that date the upgrade will cost $100 plus shipping and handling."

What was the source of this information. I own a portable as was not advised of this restriction.

thanks

Andy
Old March 5th 13, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

The limited time of the free upgrade was in the official note that FLARM
sent to dealers. Your dealer should have passed that along to you. The
upgrades are still available after May 31st, but it would cost you $100 plus
shipping and handling. The fee is there to strongly encourage PowerFLARM
Portable owners to upgrade their units ASAP. The pilot is less safe without
the upgrade as the range is better with the upgrade. FLARM also used the
word "mandatory" upgrade. I think it is great that it is a completely free
upgrade. They are paying for shipping both ways and are even giving
customers a free USB to memory card adapter as a way of thanking customers
for taking the time to do the upgrade.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old March 5th 13, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:24:47 AM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Andy, The limited time of the free upgrade was in the official note that FLARM sent to dealers. Your dealer should have passed that along to you.

Thanks for the update. The dealer has not communicated with me and information about the recall was passed to me by an intermediary. Maybe different vendors have different policy on this. Are you communicating directly with purchasers or through group purchase co-ordinators?

To be technically accurate I think it worth pointing out that the range of a portable that is not subject to out of band interference will be less with the SAW filter, not greater. Introducing the filter adds, depending on the filter, 1-3dB of signal loss. Unless of course the recall modification increases the gain elsewhere in the receive signal path. Does the mod compensate for the filter loss or was it considered insignificant?

Andy
Old March 5th 13, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

If you bought your PowerFLARM as part of a group purchase it would make
sense for the dealer to a pass the information to you through the person
that organized the group purchase - since the dealer may or may not have
everyone's email address. I sent news about the recall/upgrade directly to
the end customers because I didn't want to further burden the kind people
that organized the group purchases - and because I wanted to get the
information to everyone ASAP.

I can't speak to your comment below about the change in range. I have no
idea how it was implemented. However, customer feedback has been positive -
range is what they expected it to be.

Paul Remde

Old March 6th 13, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
Does the mod compensate for the filter loss or was it considered insignificant?

The loss is insignificant.
All boards were designed with a place for the filter just in case.
Good thing.
It really does work better !

Its a PITA because units are now (more) different for different
countries. Fortunately most USA pilots don't regularly move
their gliders between countries with differing freqs...

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

PowerFLARM updates and installation notes Dave Nadler Soaring 66 June 7th 12 09:10 PM
FLARM news Tom[_12_] Soaring 2 April 18th 11 04:40 PM
More Rec.Aviation Photo Page Updates! Jay Honeck Home Built 2 December 2nd 03 09:22 PM
More Updates to the Rec.Aviation Pix Page! Jay Honeck Piloting 0 December 1st 03 09:43 PM
More Updates to Rec.Aviation Photo Page! Jay Honeck Owning 0 December 1st 03 09:40 PM