Flight Level and a half

Old September 24th 05, 02:31 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Blanche" wrote in message

Uh....if you're between 18K and 60K in the US, then you are required
to be on an IFR flight plan, hence only at even number altitudes.
33,500 is inappropriate.

That's not correct. You're required to be on an IFR flight plan in Class A
airspace, but not all airspace between 18K and 60K in the US is Class A.

By the way, 33,500 IS an even number.

Old September 24th 05, 02:38 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
"Blanche" wrote in message
Uh....if you're between 18K and 60K in the US, then you are required
to be on an IFR flight plan, hence only at even number altitudes.
33,500 is inappropriate.

That's not correct. You're required to be on an IFR flight plan in Class A
airspace, but not all airspace between 18K and 60K in the US is Class A.

By the way, 33,500 IS an even number.

Plus 33,500 is a perfectly valid altitude on an IFR flight plan if you're
climbing, descending, VFR-OTP, given a block altitude or on a cruise
clearance.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
please excuse my typing, but my whole left arm is in a cast. and i don't
Old September 24th 05, 04:08 AM
Matt Barrow

said:
"Blanche" wrote in message
Uh....if you're between 18K and 60K in the US, then you are required
to be on an IFR flight plan, hence only at even number altitudes.
33,500 is inappropriate.

That's not correct. You're required to be on an IFR flight plan in Class
airspace, but not all airspace between 18K and 60K in the US is Class A.

By the way, 33,500 IS an even number.

Plus 33,500 is a perfectly valid altitude on an IFR flight plan if you're
climbing, descending, VFR-OTP, given a block altitude or on a cruise
clearance.

VFR On Top at 33,500?

Old September 24th 05, 04:40 AM
Scott Draper

33,500 is a whole number. Try "leaving flight level three three
five".

Sorry, it was a stupid question. But a newbie airline pilot asked me
and I made the assumption that the answer wasn't obvious. I guess my
intuitive reaction is to think of FL's are in thousands, when they're
really in 100's. Duh.

Thanks

Old September 24th 05, 04:41 AM
Scott Draper

Why can't you say FL 335? After all 33,000ft is FL 330.

You're absolutely right. Dumb question. I should have written it
before asking.

Thank you.

Old September 24th 05, 04:44 AM
Scott Draper

Your leaving Angels 33 point 5? Or Flight level 335..?

The 33 point 5 is what spawned the question. A new airline pilot
asked me what was proper instead of the 33.5 that most people seem to
use.

I didn't carry my decimals properly and missed the friggin obvious
answer.

Flight Level 335 is proper. Obviously, I don't fly those altitudes.
:-)

Thanks

Old September 24th 05, 05:21 AM
Blanche

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Blanche" wrote in message

Uh....if you're between 18K and 60K in the US, then you are required
to be on an IFR flight plan, hence only at even number altitudes.
33,500 is inappropriate.

That's not correct. You're required to be on an IFR flight plan in Class A
airspace, but not all airspace between 18K and 60K in the US is Class A.

By the way, 33,500 IS an even number.

My bad. I meant all thousands, not the half thousands that we're
used to in VFR.

Second my bad...what airspace in the US 18K and 60K is not
Class A? Not counting the big mountain in Washington state. (sorry,
can't remember the name)

Old September 24th 05, 11:38 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

VFR On Top at 33,500?

Yes. Not all airspace between 18K and 60K in the US is Class A.

Old September 24th 05, 12:08 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Blanche" wrote in message

Second my bad...what airspace in the US 18K and 60K is not
Class A?

There's no Class A airspace over Hawaii, the Alaska Peninsula west of
longitude 160° 00' 00" West, the California islands Santa Barbara and
Farallon, and the Florida keys south of latitude 25° 04' 00" North.

Not counting the big mountain in Washington state. (sorry, can't remember
the name)

I think you mean Alaska. The highest point in the contiguous states is
California's Mt. Whithey at 14,494 feet. The airspace above 18,000' but
less than 1,500 feet above the surface of the earth in Alaska is not Class
A.

Old September 24th 05, 02:10 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Matt Barrow" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Plus 33,500 is a perfectly valid altitude on an IFR flight plan if you're
climbing, descending, VFR-OTP, given a block altitude or on a cruise
clearance.

VFR On Top at 33,500?

You can't do VFR OTP in class A? I didn't know that. I assumed that
since it was still an IFR clearance, it was still valid. Not that flight
level rules are likely to apply to me any time soon.