Is this nuts, or what?

Old April 8th 04, 12:56 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Is this nuts, or what?

From AvWeb:

"If you're planning on flying into Lakeland, Fla., for Sun 'n Fun, be on the
alert for large formation skydiving over Zephyrhills Airport between April
14 and April 18, sunrise to sunset. Zephyrhills (ZPH) is located 16 nautical
miles northwest of Lakeland, on Lakeland's 332-degree radial. The airport
will be the site of a world record attempt involving 140 skydivers and seven
jump aircraft. Getting caught in the middle could prove ... messy."

We are planning to fly into Sun N Fun next week. Last year we were forced
to land short, because the field was closed -- and Zephyr Hills was the most
logical airport when coming from the north. It was an absolute zoo getting
in there, because EVERYONE was stuck doing the same thing.

Now they're going to try to stick 140 skydivers into this mix? I'm having
a hard time visualizing 20 aircraft coming into land -- at an uncontrolled
field -- with 140 meat-bombs under canopy... Seems like they might have
tried to find a better location and/or time for this record attempt?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 8th 04, 03:07 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Seems like they might have
tried to find a better location and/or time for this record attempt?

They're probably saying the same thing about Sun'n Fun. With just as much
justification.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 8th 04, 03:14 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

They're probably saying the same thing about Sun'n Fun. With just
as much justification.

Hmmm...., hasn't Sun 'n Fun been at that same location for some 25 years or
so?

Old April 8th 04, 03:19 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

They're probably saying the same thing about Sun'n Fun. With just
as much justification.

Hmmm...., hasn't Sun 'n Fun been at that same location for some 25 years or
so?

And similar lines about airports and housing developments haven't worked in at least
that long.

Old April 8th 04, 03:29 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

And similar lines about airports and housing developments
haven't worked in at least that long.

The point was about justification. It is not equal.

Old April 8th 04, 03:44 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

I disagree.

It's not a matter of opinion.

Old April 8th 04, 03:45 PM
Maule Driver

If they were fully aware of SF, they may have ... or may not. No reason to
expect those 'meat bombs' to pay any attention or even be aware of SF. If
they've done the proper notifications and Notams are issued I don't see any
reason to expect them to not to do it.

25years doesn't really change anything.

Both events pose a risk to each other due to potential irresponsible
behavior. I can't figure out any basis for preference. But I'm staying the
hell away!

From AvWeb:

Old April 8th 04, 03:56 PM
EDR

I started skydiving in 1973.
There has been an annual Z-Hill Boogie every year.
This may be a year when the Boogie and SNF conflict.
Those record loads are going up into the mid- to high-teens.
Canopy opening altitudes will be between 2000 and 4000 feet AGL.
Depending on the upper level winds, the loads may exit several miles
upwind from the airport.
With the surface area of 140 bodies linked together, the formation can
be "flown" (until it loses shape and integrity).
The large loads will require multiple aircraft, five or six DC-3's(?)
or more smaller aircraft.
Old April 8th 04, 04:25 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Jay Honeck posted:

From AvWeb:

"If you're planning on flying into Lakeland, Fla., for Sun 'n Fun, be
on the alert for large formation skydiving over Zephyrhills Airport
between April 14 and April 18, sunrise to sunset. Zephyrhills (ZPH)
is located 16 nautical miles northwest of Lakeland, on Lakeland's
332-degree radial. The airport will be the site of a world record
attempt involving 140 skydivers and seven jump aircraft. Getting
caught in the middle could prove ... messy."

Neat! A "cluster meat bomb"! ;-)

At least they warned you.

Neil

Wing Nuts DJFawcett26 Home Built 1 January 12th 05 12:20 AM
Dennis Fetters Mini 500 EmailMe Home Built 70 June 21st 04 09:36 PM