LS6"C" (17.6) Cockpit Size

Old March 17th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Williams

Default LS6"C" (17.6) Cockpit Size

Can anyone tell me if there is any differance in the cockpit size
(mainly length) between the 15m LS6 and the 17.6m LS6C? From all I've
read there is only mention of the C having a new crash worthy cockpit.
Nothing about the overall size. I've tried on the LS6a and for my
6'2", 215lb frame it's more than a snug fit. Not possible...
I've also heard that the LS8 uses the cockpit of the 18m C. Is this
the same as the 17.6 C model???

Any insight would be appreciated...

MW
Old March 17th 10, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Owned an A, recently looked at a C for a friend, who I am led to
believe purchased it. Same cockpit size. For a tall pilot to fit in
an LS-6 comfortably, cut the seat back and bend it below the headrest,
so the headrest tilts forward a bit more. The seat back will then
recline further. Ordinarily, the headrest hits the bulkhead before the
seat adjustment cable gets to maximum tilt.
The A had a flat seat back, the B and C have a curved back, same as
the LS-8.
Jim
Old March 17th 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

The LS8 doesn't use the in-flight adjustable seat back cable like the
LS6 - it uses a ground adjustable T-shaped rod that projects out of
the rear bulkhead. I don't know if curving the seat back further would
buy you any more head room in an LS8, but it's a neat idea.

The LS8 is a tighter cockpit than my ASW-19B, but nowhere near as
tight as the D2A. It was a worry when I bought my LS8 as to whether or
not I would fit in. FWIW, I'm 71 inches tall, weigh 220 pounds with a
Strong 303 chute, wear a size 44R jacket and 36-30 trousers. It turns
out that I fit just fine (seat bottom is in the middle, seat back is
one notch from the back, and rudder pedals are three notches from the
back).

One word of caution - my first seating position gave me much more
headroom that I'd had in the ASW-19. This wasn't a good thing - I
could only see the wings of the towplane during tow and had a limited
view of the runway when on final! I now fly with a finger width of
space between my head and the canopy, and the sight picture is quite
good (with nothing mounted on top of the glare shield).

-John

Old February 15th 15, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 17, 12:43 am, JS wrote:
Owned an A, recently looked at a C for a friend, who I am led to
believe purchased it. Same cockpit size. For a tall pilot to fit in
an LS-6 comfortably, cut the seat back and bend it below the headrest,
so the headrest tilts forward a bit more. The seat back will then
recline further. Ordinarily, the headrest hits the bulkhead before the
seat adjustment cable gets to maximum tilt.
The A had a flat seat back, the B and C have a curved back, same as
the LS-8.
Jim

I'm trying to ask a question of "John" who wrote about the size of the ASW19 cockpit.
I just looked at an ASW15 for sale and while I had plenty of legroom and OK headroom, my shoulders were very cramped. I'm now looking for an ASW19. Can anybody tell me if the cockpit is wider than the 15B. Thanks
Old February 15th 15, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Murphy,

Unfortunately, I've never been in an ASW-15, so I have no first hand knowledge to help answer your question. I think, though, that the sizes of the ASW15 fuselage and the ASW19 fuselage are very similar. Things changed radically with the ASW24, of course, but that doesn't help with your problem.

-John, Q3

PS - Hope Murphy is your name, Google Groups only shows 4 characters!

Old February 15th 15, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 13:07:29 -0800, murphydrj wrote:

I just looked at an ASW15 for sale and while I had plenty of legroom and
OK headroom, my shoulders were very cramped. I'm now looking for an
ASW19. Can anybody tell me if the cockpit is wider than the 15B. Thanks

I can't answer your specific question, but I CAN say that the ASW19,
ASW-20 A/B/F and Centraire Pegase (all models) have the same cockpit. If
you're comfortable in any one of these you'll be fine in the others.

I have a enough hours in both Pegase 90 and ASW-20 (A) to know their
cockpits both feel the same. I also know that the ASW-20F was an ASW-20
built under license by Centraire and that the Pegase 101/90 fuselage is a
modified (different cockpit ventilation, bigger diameter tail boom) ASW-20
fuselage.

HTH

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie