Thoughts on this approach?

Old July 19th 05, 05:48 PM
Doug

If you put "request practice instrument approach at destination
airport" in the comments in your flight plan, it might help you get the
actual instrument approach. If it's VFR the ATC guy only budgets enough
time to clear you for the visual. You go around requesting an
instrument approach and he might get kinda ****ed off, cause he was
planning on you taking the visual and he's done with you.

Old July 19th 05, 05:56 PM
Yossarian

No, we definitely didn't have the field in sight at the time of the
visual clearance because the runway lights were off. We changed to
advisory, clicked the lights on, and went back to PSP appch to cancel
IFR.

You're right, I should have requested the VOR approach from further
out. My concern with the visual is that I didn't want to do a lot of
maneuvering to get down because it was night in an unfamiliar area.

Old July 19th 05, 06:08 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...

If you put "request practice instrument approach at destination
airport" in the comments in your flight plan, it might help you get the
actual instrument approach.

You'll still have to tell him which actual instrument approach you'd like.
You can do that on initial contact and skip the remark.

If it's VFR the ATC guy only budgets enough
time to clear you for the visual.

Let's see, "Cleared visual approach to Bermuda Dunes Airport" versus
"Cleared VOR Charlie approach to Bermuda Dunes Airport". How much more time
does it take to issue the VOR-C clearance? A tenth of a second? Less?

Well, so what if he gets kinda ****ed off?

Old July 19th 05, 06:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Yossarian" wrote in message
ups.com...

You're right, I should have requested the VOR approach from further
out.

What difference would that make? You said you were being vectored for the
VOR-C when you were cleared for the visual, so you must have made them aware
that you wanted the VOR-C sometime before that.

Old July 19th 05, 06:53 PM
Yossarian

No, I didn't say we were being vectored for the VOR-C, and I had not
made them aware that I wanted that approach. You are assuming too
much.

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
ups.com...

Old July 19th 05, 07:02 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Yossarian" wrote in message
oups.com...

No, I didn't say we were being vectored for the VOR-C, and I had not
made them aware that I wanted that approach. You are assuming too
much.

Am I? You wrote, "All was well and as expected until Palm Springs
approach. They vectored us to a point south of the VOR-C approach approx 4
miles from the VOR at 4000." How much is it reasonable for me to assume
from your narrative? What were they vectoring you for?

Old July 19th 05, 07:34 PM
Roy Smith

Yossarian wrote:
My concern with the visual is that I didn't want to do a lot of
maneuvering to get down because it was night in an unfamiliar area.

A perfectly legitimate reason to request an SIAP.
Old July 19th 05, 07:42 PM
Peter R.

Yossarian wrote:

You're right, I should have requested the VOR approach from further
out. My concern with the visual is that I didn't want to do a lot of
maneuvering to get down because it was night in an unfamiliar area.

An excellent concern, especially around the mountains of Palm Springs.
Next time you encounter this uneasiness, feel very comfortable in
requesting whatever instrument approach you need to take you safely to the
runway.

Even if you are past the IAF for the approach when you discover that a
visual approach cannot be completed successfully, tell ATC and request
vectors back around to the IAF, or even delaying vectors to give you time
to properly brief and setup the approach.

--
Peter

Old July 19th 05, 10:03 PM
Scott Skylane

Yossarian wrote:
No, I didn't say we were being vectored for the VOR-C, and I had not
made them aware that I wanted that approach. You are assuming too
much.

Sooo, what *were* you doing, being vectored within 4 miles of your
destination, if you hadn't requested any specific approach??? Flying
IFR, to a specific airport, means you should have planned on, and
requested, an appropriate procedure much earlier than that. Can you
recount the events that occurred beginning, say, 35 miles out of UDD?

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old July 19th 05, 10:16 PM
Doug

Well, if they clear you for the approach they gotta tell you all this
other stuff and stay with you longer. Anyway, that's what has happened
to me. Guy suggested we put ii in the remarks in our flight plan and I
have had better results with that.