Restoring bubbles...

Old July 2nd 03, 12:19 PM
The Raven

Default Restoring bubbles...

"Dick" wrote in message
m...
Would you have a brand name or source for that polishing compound. I agree
Micromesh is too expensive.

Tamiya "Compound" comes in a small tube and is ideal for polishing the paint
and clear plastic windows of model aircraft/cars etc. For a 1:1 helicopter
it may be expensive (lots of tubes) but you may find it's good for the final
polishing.

Another alternative is 3M glaze (a liquid polish). When a car is painted
(non- 2pak paints) it is often used as a mild rubbing compound to smooth out
the final finish. Applied by hand it would have just enough "grit" to
remove the buildup on your canopy without chewing into the perspex.

Of course, check it's compatible with perspex first (I believe it is)!

I suspect a number of various quality car polishes would sort out your
problem. Meguiars also comes to mind and it comes in a a huge variety of
"fineness/grits".

Regards

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old July 2nd 03, 06:39 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"The Raven" wrote:

"Dick" wrote in message
[...]

3M Finesse It and Prefect It are generally used with a buffer and work
very well. I have also used plain old DuPont rubbing and polishing
compounds. They are all compatible with plastic and will polish out the
scratches. Basically, they are just a fine-grit (pumice) in a mineral
spirits-based suspension.

--
To get random signatures put text files into a folder called ³Random Signatures² into your Preferences folder.
Old July 6th 03, 03:28 PM
Wright1902Glider

What type of helicopter are you restoring?

Just wondering,
Harry
Old July 7th 03, 03:15 AM
Wright1902Glider

Thank God its not gonna fly!

To hear my Dad tell it (was a mech. on 500-C's in the early 70's), the thing
was hell to work on. I don't remember his entire story, but it involved
repeatedly cursing the exhaust stack, and the anti-vibrational rubber mounted
extra-long screws everywhere. Good luck gettin' your plexi clean.

Harry
Old July 7th 03, 06:07 PM
Richard Lamb

So far, that's what I've been doing...
AND one small spot is almost completely clear.

It's going to take some time and elbow grease.

Thanks all

Richard

restoring aircraft Dave068 Home Built 4 August 29th 04 01:35 PM
restoring aircraft Dave068 Home Built 1 August 10th 04 03:12 PM
Restoring an Old Spam Can -- To Strip or Not to Strip jls Home Built 21 July 21st 04 09:39 PM
Restoring Fiberglas Wheelpants jls Home Built 8 February 18th 04 03:34 PM