FA: 75 hp Revmaster VW engine w/accessories

Old November 2nd 03, 01:41 AM
Eric Miller

Default FA: 75 hp Revmaster VW engine w/accessories

My EAA Chapter is selling the VW engine that was destined for the Kolb Mark
III chapter project before determining it put the CG too far aft. The engine
comes complete with all the accessories, ready to bolt on, including: dual
ignition, carbeurator, alternator, exhaust, carb heat, tach, oil temp, 2 CHT
sensors, AND propellor, cooling scoops, and fairing for a pusher
configuration. Should just need a different prop and exhuast for tractor
configuation.

Worth three times the Buy It Now price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...item=244022147

Come on Barnyard Bob, I know you want this! =D

Eric

Old November 2nd 03, 01:54 AM
Eric Miller

Sorry, looks like I dropped a digit. That link should be:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2440221477

Eric

et...

Old November 2nd 03, 06:46 AM
Barnyard BOb --

Sorry, looks like I dropped a digit. That link should be:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2440221477

My EAA Chapter is selling the VW engine that was destined for the Kolb

Mark
III chapter project before determining it put the CG too far aft. The

engine
comes complete with all the accessories, ready to bolt on, including: dual
ignition, carbeurator, alternator, exhaust, carb heat, tach, oil temp, 2

CHT
sensors, AND propellor, cooling scoops, and fairing for a pusher
configuration. Should just need a different prop and exhuast for tractor
configuation.

Worth three times the Buy It Now price!

Come on Barnyard Bob, I know you want this! =D

Eric

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Geez, I'd love too, but Morgans won't let me.
He sez it looks too much like an aircraft engine
and has no "benefits" of a real auto engine. g

Have you tried Jay?
He might spring for a pair of these puppies.....
if they ain't too reliable.

Mind blowing....
Absolutely mind blowing.

Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of successful flight
Old November 2nd 03, 06:03 PM
Morgans

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message

[...]

+++++++++++++++++++++

All I have to say is.....
75 HP VW, my *ss!

My 72 Beetle, barely can pull it's sorry butt up a hill, here in NC.

Not to talk about reliability.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 2nd 03, 08:19 PM
Barnyard BOb --

Worth three times the Buy It Now price!

Come on Barnyard Bob, I know you want this! =D

Eric

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Geez, I'd love too, but Morgans won't let me.
He sez it looks too much like an aircraft engine
and has no "benefits" of a real auto engine. g

Have you tried Jay?
He might spring for a pair of these puppies.....
if they ain't too reliable.

Mind blowing....
Absolutely mind blowing.

Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of successful flight

+++++++++++++++++++++

All I have to say is.....
75 HP VW, my *ss!

My 72 Beetle, barely can pull it's sorry butt up a hill, here in NC.

Not to talk about reliability.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Watch it, fella.
Sounds like your talking about my Ford V-6 truck...
if you'll throw in sorry gas mileage, to boot. g

Barnyard BOb --

Old November 2nd 03, 09:05 PM
Eric Miller

"Morgans" wrote in message

My 72 Beetle, barely can pull it's sorry butt up a hill, here in NC.

Jim in NC

Are you sure it's the VW's butt that's the problem? big grin

Eric

Old November 2nd 03, 09:12 PM
Morgans

"Morgans" wrote in message

My 72 Beetle, barely can pull it's sorry butt up a hill, here in NC.

Jim in NC

Are you sure it's the VW's butt that's the problem? big grin

Eric

OOOOH! THAT HURTS! :-)

Although I am slightly over one standard FAA person, not by much.

I do tend to believe Vwub's articles that peg the VW at around 40 hp as much
more realistic. That is a lot of weight for that amount of power.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 2nd 03, 09:47 PM
Eric Miller

"Morgans" wrote in message

Are you sure it's the VW's butt that's the problem? big grin

Eric

OOOOH! THAT HURTS! :-)

Although I am slightly over one standard FAA person, not by much.

I do tend to believe Vwub's articles that peg the VW at around 40 hp as

much
more realistic. That is a lot of weight for that amount of power.
--
Jim in NC

Let's put it this way... I don't have any room to talk

As far as the engine is concerned I know it's 2180cc, which everyone calls
75hp, though I'm pretty sure that's takeoff power and not continuous.

Using the standard 2 cubic inches per HP that is common to Lycomings and
Continentals, 2180cc = 133 ci = 66.5 HP, which is probably a more realistic
number.

BTW I hope reliability isn't too bad.. I'm gonna be flying behind a Great
Plains 2180cc VW soon!

Eric

Old November 2nd 03, 10:58 PM
Barnyard BOb --

As far as the engine is concerned I know it's 2180cc, which everyone calls
75hp, though I'm pretty sure that's takeoff power and not continuous.

Using the standard 2 cubic inches per HP that is common to Lycomings and
Continentals, 2180cc = 133 ci = 66.5 HP, which is probably a more realistic
number.

BTW I hope reliability isn't too bad.. I'm gonna be flying behind a Great
Plains 2180cc VW soon!

Eric

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You know I would never, never rain on your parade g,
but.... the local KR2 here at 3GV hasn't flown in years.
The VW engine quit so many times, the owner-builder
finally wised up and quit, too. No further details.

For other VW info, you can axe my nephoo, John Stricker.
He has a friend that has agonized with 'em for many years.
The aero conversion news is not what you want to hear.

BTW..
Good luck with your 'GREAT PAINS 2180'. {8-D

Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of successful flight
Ignorance may be bliss, but in aviation...
what you don't know can quickly do you in.
Old November 3rd 03, 01:30 AM
Peter Dohm

Eric Miller wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

This assumes you need to turn a 6 foot diameter propeller, which seems pretty
generous for the power. I calculate nearly 80 HP at about 3200 rpm, which is
similar to the crankshaft speed of the Jabiru engines, so the 75 HP figure
should be acheivable.

Hopefully, any resonance problems have been dealt with by the engine or
crankshaft manufacturer, and you are using the same propeller as they recommend.

Peter