the newest general aviation airport

Old November 22nd 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Default the newest general aviation airport

People always say that one GA airport closes every week, yet no new GA
airports are opened. I was wondering, how literal is that second part?
Is the total number of new GA airport openings really zero? How long
has it been like that? If one were to identify the "newest" public use
GA airport, what year did it open? Sometimes in the 1970s? 1980s?
Old November 22nd 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:35:29 -0800 (PST), buttman
wrote:

If one were to identify the "newest" public use
GA airport, what year did it open? Sometimes in the 1970s? 1980s?

Does new include military bases gone joint or full-public?

Old November 22nd 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

People always say that one GA airport closes every week, yet no new GA
airports are opened. I was wondering, how literal is that second part?
Is the total number of new GA airport openings really zero? How long
has it been like that? If one were to identify the "newest" public use
GA airport, what year did it open? Sometimes in the 1970s? 1980s?

It's somewhat hyperbole, but mostly true.

Oh, sure, sometimes we hear about a new regional airport opening
somewhere, but invariably (it seems) they close two nearby airports in
order to justify its construction.

Luckily, America still has an amazing number of airports -- every town
over 30K people seems to have one. Thankfully, in the overall scheme
of a city budget, their operating expenses are usually neglible, so
they remain open for us to use.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 22nd 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
People always say that one GA airport closes every week, yet no new GA
airports are opened. I was wondering, how literal is that second part?
Is the total number of new GA airport openings really zero? How long
has it been like that? If one were to identify the "newest" public use
GA airport, what year did it open? Sometimes in the 1970s? 1980s?

It's somewhat hyperbole, but mostly true.

Oh, sure, sometimes we hear about a new regional airport opening
somewhere, but invariably (it seems) they close two nearby airports in
order to justify its construction.

Luckily, America still has an amazing number of airports -- every town
over 30K people seems to have one. Thankfully, in the overall scheme
of a city budget, their operating expenses are usually neglible, so
they remain open for us to use.

Jay,

Take a hop over to Red Oak, Iowa http://www.airnav.com/airport/RDK...about
12,000 people and a wonderful airport that been in business since the 30's.
Not new, but staying very much alive.

MOF, it's the smaller towns that are most likely to keep their airports as
developers don't cover the land.

Old November 22nd 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:13:27 -0800 (PST), Jay Honeck
wrote:

Luckily, America still has an amazing number of airports -- every town
over 30K people seems to have one. Thankfully, in the overall scheme
of a city budget, their operating expenses are usually neglible, so
they remain open for us to use.

Great blurb about you in the latest AOPA mag!

Nice work! I hope all who read it are as inspired to do the same at
home, short of buying a hotel.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old November 22nd 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-11-21 17:13:27 -0800, Jay Honeck said:

People always say that one GA airport closes every week, yet no new GA
airports are opened. I was wondering, how literal is that second part?
Is the total number of new GA airport openings really zero? How long
has it been like that? If one were to identify the "newest" public use
GA airport, what year did it open? Sometimes in the 1970s? 1980s?

It's somewhat hyperbole, but mostly true.

Oh, sure, sometimes we hear about a new regional airport opening
somewhere, but invariably (it seems) they close two nearby airports in
order to justify its construction.

Luckily, America still has an amazing number of airports -- every town
over 30K people seems to have one. Thankfully, in the overall scheme
of a city budget, their operating expenses are usually neglible, so
they remain open for us to use.

Bellevue, WA is well over 100,000 people and it does not have an
airport, although the remains of Bellevue's old airport can still be
seen at an office complex. The next town, Issaquah, had its airport
closed years ago. No trace of it remains. The next town to the south,
Renton, is in danger of losing its airport. Redmond and Kirkland do not
have airports. There is still a tiny airport at Fall City. Basically,
there is no airport of any kind, general aviation or otherwise, for a
huge area east of Seattle. Millions of people live there, but no
airport. There used to be half a dozen or more airports in that area.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old November 22nd 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Poitras

buttman wrote:
People always say that one GA airport closes every week, yet no new GA
airports are opened. I was wondering, how literal is that second part?
Is the total number of new GA airport openings really zero? How long
has it been like that? If one were to identify the "newest" public use
GA airport, what year did it open? Sometimes in the 1970s? 1980s?

Sanford-Lee County airport in North Carolina (my home base) opened in
2000, but it did replace the older Sanford airport (now used by police
to practice PIT Maneuvers and it makes a good landmark when flying
the ILS procedure turn without a hood.)

--
Don Poitras
Old November 22nd 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Great blurb about you in the latest AOPA mag!

Nice work! I hope all who read it are as inspired to do the same at
home, short of buying a hotel.

Thanks! It came as quite a surprise, since they didn't actually speak
to me since last summer.

I suppose they just file this stuff away somewhere, waiting for the
day when they've got a "hole" to fill in the magazine. All I know is
our Fly In Pool Party this year is gonna be hard to beat next year!

(Of course, now that AOPA has virtually invited the entire pilot
population, we *might* exceed it in '08...)

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 23rd 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"buttman" wrote in message
People always say that one GA airport closes every week, yet no new GA
airports are opened. I was wondering, how literal is that second part?
Is the total number of new GA airport openings really zero? How long
has it been like that? If one were to identify the "newest" public use
GA airport, what year did it open? Sometimes in the 1970s? 1980s?

I know they are closing Indianapolis Metro and moving it a few miles north,
so that is a 1:1. There was Indianapolis Brookside which closed a couple
years ago and is now housing as well, so around here we haven't gained any
new GA airports, lost one and moved another.

Old November 23rd 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

buttman wrote:
If one were to identify the "newest" public use
GA airport, what year did it open? Sometimes in the 1970s? 1980s?

In my neck of the woods (AZ), Williams Gateway airport (formerly Williams
AFB) opened as a public use facility in the 90s. In the "completely new"
category, Lake Havasu, AZ closed their old lakeside airport and and built a
completely new facility outside of town, also back in the 90s. I liked the
old one better :-) Bullhead City, AZ built a new airport on the site of
their old airport.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)