Bush Prepares for Possible GPS Shutdown

Old December 16th 04, 08:08 PM
Chris Gumm

Default Bush Prepares for Possible GPS Shutdown

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/...&w=APO&coview=

Old December 16th 04, 09:08 PM
Schmoe

Chris Gumm wrote:
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/...&w=APO&coview=

How much would that suck during a GPS approach to minimums far away from the
crisis? Would WAAS stations be shutdown to?

Old December 16th 04, 09:13 PM
zatatime

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:08:26 -0500, "Schmoe"
wrote:

Chris Gumm wrote:
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/...&w=APO&coview=

How much would that suck during a GPS approach to minimums far away from the
crisis? Would WAAS stations be shutdown to?

I'd say it'd depend on what the crisis was perceived to be, and I
doubt anyone will give anymore details than this. Be prepared for a
complete shut down, and be happy if it's only a partial.

I'm keeping my ADF for a while.

Old December 16th 04, 09:28 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:08:48 -0500, "Chris Gumm" wrote
in ::

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/...&w=APO&coview=

Well, if you can't intercept incoming missiles, you've got to do
something:

President George W. Bush's drive to deploy a multibillion-dollar
shield against ballistic missiles was set back by what critics
called a stunning failure of its first full flight test in two
years. The abortive $85 million exercise raised fresh questions
about the reliability of the first elements of the plan, an heir
to former president Ronald Reagan's vision of a space-based
missile defense that critics dubbed "Star Wars." The
interceptor missile never left its silo at Kwajalein Atoll in
the central Pacific, shutting itself down automatically because
of an "anomaly" of unknown origin, the Pentagon's Missile
Defense Agency said. About 16 minutes earlier, a target missile
had been fired from Kodiak, Alaska, in what was to have been a
fly-by test chiefly designed to gather data on new hardware,
software and engagement angles, said Richard Lehner, a
spokesman. BOEING CO., the Pentagon's prime contractor on the
project, declined comment.
(Reuters 03:50 PM ET 12/15/2004)

Mo

http://q1.schwab.com/s/r?l=248&a=103...a&s=rb041 215

This begs the question, what do you do if you're on a GPS approach
when they shut the system down?
Old December 16th 04, 09:40 PM

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:08:48 -0500, "Chris Gumm" wrote
in ::

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/...&w=APO&coview=

Mo

http://q1.schwab.com/s/r?l=248&a=103...a&s=rb041 215

This begs the question, what do you do if you're on a GPS approach
when they shut the system down?

You mean other than go missed and shoot something else? Kind of similar
to what you'd do if your GPS went South on you in the middle of an
approach?

Cap

Old December 16th 04, 09:42 PM
Larry Dighera

On 16 Dec 2004 12:40:02 -0800, wrote in
.com::

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:08:48 -0500, "Chris Gumm" wrote
in ::

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/...&w=APO&coview=

Mo

http://q1.schwab.com/s/r?l=248&a=103...a&s=rb041 215

This begs the question, what do you do if you're on a GPS approach
when they shut the system down?

You mean other than go missed and shoot something else? Kind of similar
to what you'd do if your GPS went South on you in the middle of an
approach?

Cap

So, you're saying there are no GPS approaches whose missed approach
procedures rely upon GPS?

Old December 16th 04, 09:52 PM
Bob Gardner

As I understand it from the AIM, WAAS stations must receive signals from the
satellite constellation in order to provide corrections...no satellite, no
WAAS.

Bob Gardner

Old December 16th 04, 09:56 PM
Jay Honeck

This is news?

The President has always had broad powers in times of national emergency,
and can disable (or enable) some or all parts of the national airspace --
including GPS, ILS, VOR, and NDB. I'm sure they've got some contingencies
to shut down access to the internet, for that matter.

If there is a national emergency that requires shutting down GPS, completing
the approach may be the least of your worries.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 16th 04, 09:56 PM
Jeff Franks

So, you're saying there are no GPS approaches whose missed approach
procedures rely upon GPS?

No, I didn't read that anywhere in his post. I believe his intent was to
say that it's obvious that many a liberal will go nuts about how we're all
screwed now that the government has a plan to shut down GPS (which I had
always understood that this was in place anyway). If terrorists are somehow
using our own GPS system against us, then I'm all for shutting it down (or
limiting it to military use somehow).

More the reason to keep the VOR's working.

jf

Old December 16th 04, 10:32 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Chris Gumm posted:

a link to a reporter's screwup.

Try this one instead -
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...1216space.html

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

American nazi pond scum, version two bushite kills bushite Naval Aviation 0 December 21st 04 11:46 PM
Hey! What fun!! Let's let them kill ourselves!!! [email protected] Naval Aviation 2 December 17th 04 10:45 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM
God Honest Naval Aviation 2 July 24th 03 04:45 AM