Bastogne: The AAC Prepares

Old December 21st 03, 02:44 AM
ArtKramr

Default Bastogne: The AAC Prepares

It was now the 21st. The sky was heavlky overcast with a lot of ground fog as
well and freezing temperatures. We all walked around looking at the sky for any
sign of a break in the weather. Then we all descended on the Metro office where
our weatherman 1st.Lt. Paul Forant (Boston) was working up his charts. We
hoped for good news but Paul had none to give us. "Maybe the 23rd" he said. But
no guarantees. In the meantime ground crews were loading bombays and ammo
belts, cleaning guns, topping off tanks and cleaning Plexiglas. When the sky
opened up we would be ready to go. Darkness fell and we climbed into our
sleeping bags wearing our full sheepskin flying clothes. And as we fell asleep
we thought of those poor guys of the 101st. fighting for their lives in
Bastogne and prayed for clear weather tomorrow.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old December 21st 03, 09:12 PM
Tarver Engineering

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

My father said, on the ground in Bastogne was the coldest he has ever been.

Old December 21st 03, 11:46 PM
Ed Majden

"ArtKramr"
[...]

Do you know anything about a Canadian batalion held in reserve near
Bastogne. Apparantly the offered to help but were turned down as Pattons
guys were just a day or so away. I read this some where but can't find the
article or confirm whether this is true.
Ed

Old December 21st 03, 11:52 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: Bastogne: The AAC Prepares
From: "Ed Majden"
Date: 12/21/03 3:46 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr"
[...]

Ed,

Sorry. don't know. Could they have been attached to the British XXX Corps? Lots
of those guys around.

Regards,

Old December 22nd 03, 09:17 AM
Keith Willshaw

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

Arthur::
Do you know anything about a Canadian batalion held in reserve near
Bastogne. Apparantly the offered to help but were turned down as Pattons
guys were just a day or so away. I read this some where but can't find

the
article or confirm whether this is true.
Ed

Ed,

Sorry. don't know. Could they have been attached to the British XXX Corps?

Lots
of those guys around.

For a brief account of XXX Corps involvement in the Ardennes see
http://www.qohldrs.co.uk/html/bulge_1944.htm

Keith

Old December 22nd 03, 02:58 PM
ArtKramr

From: "Keith Willshaw"
Date: 12/22/03 1:17 AM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

Arthur::
Do you know anything about a Canadian batalion held in reserve near
Bastogne. Apparantly the offered to help but were turned down as Pattons
guys were just a day or so away. I read this some where but can't find

the
article or confirm whether this is true.
Ed

Ed,

Sorry. don't know. Could they have been attached to the British XXX Corps?

Lots
of those guys around.

For a brief account of XXX Corps involvement in the Ardennes see
http://www.qohldrs.co.uk/html/bulge_1944.htm

Keith

Thanks Kieth. Good rundown. We were reminded of the positions of the XXX Corps
on every biefeing. They were arrayed down the west bank of the Meuse from well
North of Liege to south of Dinant. and back almost to our field at Florennes.
We were warned not to bomb them and we all marked our sectionals with their
positions. But they were an important factor in keeping our field from
possible German capture so the number XXX will always be dear to my heart.
Great oufit the XXX Corps.