? Screw head diameter?

Old January 1st 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jls

Default ? Screw head diameter?

Morgans wrote:
"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
MS24593 is a flat head machine screw with a 6-32 shank/thread. In this
application the diameter of the screwhead is important.

I went to HD and bought a 6-32 machine screw to see what length I
needed (the original having rusted beyond recognition). I compared the
HD screw with the MS and noticed it was 1/4" dia. as compared to 3/8",
so I'm wondering if I order the MS screw if the head will be large
enough.

The difference I'm seeing is caused by the 100^ angle on the MS screw,
but I don't know if the final diameter will match the original.

Would anyone with experience with the MS24593 screw please weigh in? -

I would be very curious as to what the application is for this screw.

If it is going to be any more important than holding a radio in the panel,
then you need to be thinking about the quality and strength of the screw.

HD screws have no strength guarantee, compared to a MS screw. They may have
only 10% of the strength of a MS screw. If that is the case, the head size
is the least of your worries.

I hope you are not using hardware store screws in your homebuilt for any
important functions. You are gambling your life. You could be a _big_
looser.
--
Jim in NC

A big looser? What is he going to loose? A goose?

Anyway, what he's doing is restoration and the screws he's using
probably hold on a leading edge of aluminum sheet or attach ribs to a
spar. That's why they rust beyong recognition. If they were on a
Taylorcraft wing or aileron, for instance, they were off-the-shelf
screws. So using them would in all likelihood not make him any
"looser."

Anyway I doubt if the PK screws used in such a case are (or were) the
same Air Force-Navy quality you find in an AN bolt or nut.

I have removed some of those screws from an old certified airframe and
the heads break all to hell.

I know an A&P who bought all his screws for the rib-to-spar fasteners
and LE on a J-3 at the local hardware store. Does that mean he's loose
as a goose? Or looser?

Old January 1st 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"jls" wrote

I know an A&P who bought all his screws for the rib-to-spar fasteners
and LE on a J-3 at the local hardware store. Does that mean he's loose
as a goose? Or looser?

I would have to believe that they do not meet specifications for repairing a
certified aircraft.

I might trust them for holding skin down, but not much more than that. No,
I take that back. I don't trust them that far.

Have you seen the quality of the hardware nuts and bolts and screws, lately?
Chinese steel is of such low quality, I would be surprised if it was 25% the
strength of a part to MilSpec part comparison.

No, I would not bet my life on the saving of a few bucks by using unknown
hardware screws. If I'm that short of cash, I will go fly model airplanes,
or something.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 1st 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jls

Morgans wrote:
"jls" wrote

I know an A&P who bought all his screws for the rib-to-spar fasteners
and LE on a J-3 at the local hardware store. Does that mean he's loose
as a goose? Or looser?

I would have to believe that they do not meet specifications for repairing a
certified aircraft.

I might trust them for holding skin down, but not much more than that. No,
I take that back. I don't trust them that far.

Have you seen the quality of the hardware nuts and bolts and screws, lately?
Chinese steel is of such low quality, I would be surprised if it was 25% the
strength of a part to MilSpec part comparison.

No, I would not bet my life on the saving of a few bucks by using unknown
hardware screws. If I'm that short of cash, I will go fly model airplanes,
or something.
--
Jim in NC

You've got a point. I buy all my PK-type screws from ACS but even then
I get some I don't like. The CRS screws I have quit using because they
tend to break.

Old January 1st 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Cy Galley

Looks like about 5/16 for #6

"flybynightkarmarepair" wrote in message
oups.com...

Michael Horowitz wrote:
MS24593 is a flat head machine screw with a 6-32 shank/thread. In this
application the diameter of the screwhead is important.

I went to HD and bought a 6-32 machine screw to see what length I
needed (the original having rusted beyond recognition). I compared the
HD screw with the MS and noticed it was 1/4" dia. as compared to 3/8",
so I'm wondering if I order the MS screw if the head will be large
enough.

The difference I'm seeing is caused by the 100^ angle on the MS screw,
but I don't know if the final diameter will match the original.

Would anyone with experience with the MS24593 screw please weigh in? -
Mike

http://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksear...t_number=40617

Rev C has the complete dimensional specs.

Old January 2nd 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
GeorgeB

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 11:06:27 -0500, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 09:47:48 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

I mentioned HD and the cml screw because I thought the cml screw would
have the same profile as the MS screw and I could use it as a model of
what to purchase. What I didn't realize is that the underside angle of
the head (countersink) for the MS screw was different from the cml
screw, so that was a good idea gone bad.

Still don't know if a #6 MS24694 is going to give me a 3/8" dia head.

Head diameter, 0.3765 to 0.3813. Google is your friend,
http://www.hi-shear.com/standards/hst13.pdf

There are several head angles common, 82, 90, 100, and 118 which I've
used in various applications for various reasons.