GPS Interference Testing

Old June 12th 16, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GPS Interference Testing

I received one a couple of weeks ago from aopa that had a graphical map and altitudes indicated that effects well up past Prescott wher I fly mostly.
Old June 12th 16, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

It must be more than a decade ago than I flew a triangle in western Wisconsin that entered the MOA SE of Eau Claire. The flight log had big drop-outs in the MOA. (This was before OLC.)
Old July 9th 16, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Another GPS Interference testing is coming up next week through the end of the month and covers pretty much the whole Great Basin if I interpreted correctly.
I know there have been multiple reports of GPS drops during those testing, but I would like to know if anyone experienced a prolong loss of GPS signal during these testing. I am not overly concerned about the flight log but loss of navigation and some of the flight computer functionality especially when flying long cross country in the Great Basin. Please no comments about using sectional instead. That's my backup plan but I am not in particular fond of it, the same as I am not fond of using pay phones anymore.

Ramy
Old July 9th 16, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey Ramy, several of us lost gps signal while flying out of Moriarty last week several days in a row when we got high 12 k and, south of Moriarty about 40 miles. It seemed to only effect the older gps units. Mine was a Garmin 196 and others were Cambridge 20 and a puck. My PowerFlarm as well as others were not affected. The outages 2, lasted about 25 minutes or alittle longer one of them seemed to come back as I went north and got lower, the other came back while still high and going east perpendicular to Alamogordo where the testing was aledgedly taking place.
Old July 10th 16, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Thanks Cliff. So sounds like it is more of an intermittent issue than a complete black out.

Ramy
Old July 10th 16, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 8:45:02 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Thanks Cliff. So sounds like it is more of an intermittent issue than a complete black out.

Ramy

They usually jam for short periods, perhaps 10 minutes. You might not even notice.
Once saw that WinPilot had a huge wind arrow, indicating something like 140 Knots. Turned out that there was jamming that day and it's how WP reacted to not having info for a while.
Jim
Old July 10th 16, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Sunday, 10 July 2016 09:45:02 UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
Thanks Cliff. So sounds like it is more of an intermittent issue than a complete black out.

Ramy

The NOTAM covers many hours of the day but they will let potentially affected areas know fifteen minutes in advance. For the Great Basin area you can contact Clover Center, the folks that over see the Sevier and Gandy MOA's and Restricted areas with the Utah Test Range on 134.1 to see if they have received any notices or if you are experiencing an outage you can contact them for duration.

The maps and affected areas published are very broad and are more CYA than accurate. During the Nationals at Nephi this year the folks from Clover were able to ensure us that the Great Basin was not likely to be affected from the testing from White Sands and China Lake. The testing done north of Las Vegas and the Utah Test Range are the ones most likely to cover the Great Basin area.

Ron Gleason