You Know You're Old Dept.

Old December 28th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default You Know You're Old Dept.

You know you're old when some kid posts a picture of a plane you've
flown in captioned: 'What the hell is THIS?'

(It's an AJ-2, son. A nice airplane and one of the largest to have
flown off an Essex-class carrier.)

-R.S.Hoover

Old December 28th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

wrote:
You know you're old when some kid posts a picture of a plane you've
flown in captioned: 'What the hell is THIS?'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:AJ_Savage.jpg == not the posting
R.S. is referring to, but it will do in order to further the
discussion.

(It's an AJ-2, son. A nice airplane and one of the largest to have
flown off an Essex-class carrier.)

-R.S.Hoover

My version of You Know You're Old When: a class of ships,. where you
served on the "first of class", is decommissioned. All of them.

Old December 28th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

I get the same type of a blank stare when I mention A3D.

You know you're old when ...the only place you can find an aircraft you flew
during your military career is a museums.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

ups.com...

Old December 29th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Wayne Paul wrote:
I get the same type of a blank stare when I mention A3D.

Roger that.

Even worse, see what happens when you mention an A-5 :-)

-R.S.Hoover

Old December 29th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

wrote in message
ups.com...

Wayne Paul wrote:
I get the same type of a blank stare when I mention A3D.

Roger that.

Even worse, see what happens when you mention an A-5 :-)

-R.S.Hoover

Even when I say A-6 most think of the Prowler instead of the Intruder.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Family_Pict..._A3_On_Cat.jpg
Notice that the above A3D doesn't have a refueling probe.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Naval_Pictu...6A_Takeoff.jpg
Lightly loaded A-6A

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old December 29th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

wrote in message
ups.com...
You know you're old when some kid posts a picture of a plane you've
flown in captioned: 'What the hell is THIS?'

(It's an AJ-2, son. A nice airplane and one of the largest to have
flown off an Essex-class carrier.)

-R.S.Hoover

You know you are old when you start running into your friends at the
Urologist's office...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old December 29th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:51:24 -0700, "Wayne Paul"
wrote:

I get the same type of a blank stare when I mention A3D.

I made a decent pile of money off Raytheon's A3D's at Van Nuys about
10 years ago. They had 6 that they put various radars, pods and noses
on. We did form-in-place fiberglass fairings.

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher4/newa3_8.html

We did one fairing for an F-18 Lantirn pod that stuck out the nose.
That was a *very* strange shape, since the pod normally goes under the
wing/fuselage intersection.

(All of them had EAA stickers on the door frames.)

Richard,

I have seen the picture. "Very" strange shape is an understatement.

My time in A3Ds was spend in the Heavy Attack (bomber) version. I noted
that all the Raytheon A3s were variants in which the bomb bay had been
removed to make room for additional crew members and/or reconnaissance
equipment..

For more then you ever really wanted to know about A-3 history go to
http://www.a3skywarrior.com/

Old December 29th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

Nah, when you know you're getting old is when you _start_ finding them in
the museum. By the time you can only find them in museums you already know
you're an old fart, and you're probably volunteering at the museum.

And I just got a flashback of a 90+ yr old volunteer at the Vintage Flying
Museum who flew B-17's in WWII and still gives tours, clambering all over
the airplane to teach people about the history of the airplane. Everytime I
think about that it reminds me what it feels like to see "awesome" in
person...

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
I get the same type of a blank stare when I mention A3D.

You know you're old when ...the only place you can find an aircraft you
flew during your military career is a museums.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

ups.com...

Old December 29th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "flybynightkarmarepair" said:
My version of You Know You're Old When: a class of ships,. where you
served on the "first of class", is decommissioned. All of them.

The first ship my brother served on is now a dive reef. He's taken before
and after pictures of his station.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"Tech Services - We Aim To Please, We Shoot To Kill"
Old December 29th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Juan,

You may be correct. Now let me see where I fit. Definately not 90+;
however, SNJ, SMB, T-33, T2J, T-28, T-34, A3D, A6A, P2V, P5M, R4D. Oh my, I
must be getting old!!

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

.. .

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
I get the same type of a blank stare when I mention A3D.

You know you're old when ...the only place you can find an aircraft you
flew during your military career is a museums.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

ups.com...