Temperature Probe for Dell Streak

Old April 15th 13, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Temperature Probe for Dell Streak

Been looking on the web without much luck.

Can anyone tell me if there's a temperature probe which can be plugged into
the earphone jack on a Dell Streak 5 and will it be recognized and processed
as such by XCSoar?

I was thinking of simply moving my probe connector from the back of my
CAI302 since it's ridiculously tedious to check OAT on the 302 (10 button
presses and 5 rotation clicks!). But then I started to wonder how badly
this would affect true airspeed computations.

Old April 15th 13, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 15, 2013 4:53:32 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Been looking on the web without much luck.

Can anyone tell me if there's a temperature probe which can be plugged into

the earphone jack on a Dell Streak 5 and will it be recognized and processed

as such by XCSoar?

I was thinking of simply moving my probe connector from the back of my

CAI302 since it's ridiculously tedious to check OAT on the 302 (10 button

presses and 5 rotation clicks!). But then I started to wonder how badly

this would affect true airspeed computations.

Far as I know, all German gliders that can carry ballast water have an outside air thermometer in the cockpit. Isn't that good enough for you? And yes, I would leave the 302 sensor alone, it is needed for computations.

Old April 16th 13, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 4/15/2013 4:25 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I would like to have continuous access to OAT via one of the info boxes
in XCSoar.

What will you do with the temperature information?

I also got tired of pressing buttons on my 302. I installed a digital
food thermometer in the vent duct for $16. It does a good job of reading
the air temperature, which I believe is within a degree of OAT because
it matches the 302 well.

email me)
Old April 16th 13, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well, it's mainly for the geek in me. There's an info box that's unfed and,
frankly I like to know what's going on outside. Ever had a relief tube
freeze up? I've fixed that problem...

There is no more room on my panel for another device.

The 302 will (I think) use a standard atmospheric model to estimate
temperature in the absence of a probe but I don't want to risk ice by
relying on a standard atmosphere. When's the last time you saw 29.92? All
day? A hundred miles away? No, I want to keep the probe with the 302.

How about relying on the local forecast as someone else already suggested?
Well, if your good day is 3 kts to 6,000' MSL that should work for you but I
fly up to 18,000' MSL all year long here in NM. It's that good! BTW, I
don't carry water in the cold months. It's too hard to thermal up into the
wave in January at 11.9 psf loading.

I saw a new device - a temperature sensor attached to a 3.5mm audio plug.
It's interesting but I'd have to cut it apart to put the probe in the nose
vent and run the wire to my streak.

Finally, if my 302 craps out I'd like to have a reasonably accurate
temperature fed to the Streak for TAS calculations. It could be the
difference in getting home or not.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
me)

Old April 18th 13, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Temperature Probe for Dell Streak - Question for Eric Greenwell

Hi Eric,

Please tell me exactly what thermometer you got and where. I can't find
anything suitable on the internet or at the local hardware store. Maybe I'm
just not asking the right questions.

Dan

Old April 18th 13, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 4/17/2013 4:00 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Hi Eric,

Please tell me exactly what thermometer you got and where. I can't find
anything suitable on the internet or at the local hardware store. Maybe
I'm just not asking the right questions.

I replied privately with a picture, but here are the links:

I bought it on amazon.com. Search for "digital food thermometer". This
one seems to do the same things, but looks a little different:

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Co...ref=pd_sim_k_3

The on/off button turns it on and off; also, it will shut off
automatically in a minute or so. That's fine with me. I believe, but I'm
not positive, that this one has a real on/off button, if you don't want
it to turn off automatically.

http://tinyurl.com/cqvnnp3

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old April 18th 13, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I think we'd need one that can read a bit higher than that one for Arizona!

Mike
Old April 18th 13, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Those look great except for the fixed probe. Did you take yours apart and
remote the probe to the vent system? The price is cheap enough that I could
afford to risk destroying one (or two)...

Old April 18th 13, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen[_2_]

If you use IOIO card to connect your CAI to Streak, you cab build
temperature measurement that connects the inputs of the IOIO.
Cost is low, soldering needed. We (soartronic) will try to find time
to make explanation how to do it.