Largest Storage Facility In Europe- Châteaudun

Old July 18th 14, 11:33 AM
PilotJedi PilotJedi is offline
Member

Default Largest Storage Facility In Europe- Châteaudun

Châteaudun air base formed in 1951 is the largest aircraft storage centre in Europe. It is essentially a Gallic version of AMARG (Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group), but unlike Davis Monthan AFB in the dry Arizona desert heat, the Armée de l'air (AdA) has to store its reserve fleet of aircraft inside climate controlled hangars awaiting a time when they are either returned to service or otherwise disposed of from the inventory. Anyone got any stories or some interesting information to tell about this place, please share.

Full Album here : http://www.aviationcv.com/pilot-foru...h%C3%A2teaudun
Old July 18th 14, 07:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
PilotJedi wrote:

Châteaudun air base formed in 1951 is the largest aircraft storage
centre in Europe. It is essentially a Gallic version of AMARG (Aerospace
Maintenance and Regeneration Group), but unlike Davis Monthan AFB in the
dry Arizona desert heat, the Armée de l'air (AdA) has to store its
reserve fleet of aircraft inside climate controlled hangars awaiting a
time when they are either returned to service or otherwise disposed of
from the inventory. Anyone got any stories or some interesting
information to tell about this place, please share.

[image: http://i.imgur.com/IczHOoH.jpg]

[image: http://i.imgur.com/6cEGNYN.jpg]

Full Album here : http://tinyurl.com/q9ujpk9

I wonder if any of those Epsilons are for sale to civilians. A friend
here has one -- it is a sweet-flying bird.
Old July 18th 14, 08:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:33:39 +0100, PilotJedi wrote
(in article ):

Châteaudun air base formed in 1951 is the largest aircraft storage
centre in Europe. It is essentially a Gallic version of AMARG (Aerospace

Thanks for this - an interesting place which I'd never heard of before.

I have a question. What does the Wikipedia English language entry for
Châteaudun mean when it says that, during WW2, its new German owners
'undertook infrastructure projects including the construction of zones of
loosening called "daisies" and the track'?

I assume it's a translation problem but I can't get my head round it; neither
the French nor German Wikipedia entries appear to have anything equivalent.

Can anyone help?

Old July 19th 14, 03:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew Chaplin

Netko wrote in
:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:33:39 +0100, PilotJedi wrote
(in article ):

Châteaudun air base formed in 1951 is the largest aircraft storage
centre in Europe. It is essentially a Gallic version of AMARG
(Aerospace

Thanks for this - an interesting place which I'd never heard of before.

I have a question. What does the Wikipedia English language entry for
Châteaudun mean when it says that, during WW2, its new German owners
'undertook infrastructure projects including the construction of zones
of loosening called "daisies" and the track'?

I assume it's a translation problem but I can't get my head round it;
neither the French nor German Wikipedia entries appear to have anything
equivalent.

Can anyone help?

The "daisies," or "margarites" in French and shortened to "marg" in
English military slang, were likely dispersal areas for aircraft served by
a track that led to the taxiways. Vestiges of the post-war variety can be
seen on the airfield of the former CFB Baden-Soellingen on Google maps at
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=CFB+B...inm%C3%BCnster,
+Germany&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=48.781787,8.090572&spn=0 .016062,0.038452&sll=
37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.456673,78.75&t=h&z=15.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old July 19th 14, 08:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 15:19:39 +0100, Andrew Chaplin wrote
(in article 1):

The "daisies," or "margarites" in French and shortened to "marg" in
English military slang, were likely dispersal areas for aircraft served by
a track that led to the taxiways. Vestiges of the post-war variety can be

Ah, 'zones of loosening' = 'dispersal areas'. It's obvious now.

Thanks.

Old July 20th 14, 01:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew Chaplin

Netko wrote in
:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 15:19:39 +0100, Andrew Chaplin wrote
(in article 1):

The "daisies," or "margarites" in French and shortened to "marg" in
English military slang, were likely dispersal areas for aircraft
served by a track that led to the taxiways. Vestiges of the post-war
variety can be

Ah, 'zones of loosening' = 'dispersal areas'. It's obvious now.

Thanks.

Change made in Wikipedia.