Speaking of landing on the freeway

Old October 28th 05, 07:57 PM

Default Speaking of landing on the freeway

Because, just as the Bonanza, they tend to be "Doctor/Lawyer" airplanes

A C-210? Didn't think they had the same allure as Bonanzas & Barons for
the MD/JD set...

This insurance agent told me the 210 was a special case, I assume due
to loss rate. There are some companies that won't write policies for
210s at all. I just can't figure what it is about that plane that would
make getting insured such a hassle.

Old October 28th 05, 09:54 PM
Jim Burns

Newer 210's are 6 place
Older 210's have a complicated gear & gear/door system that has caused some
gear up situations.
Large engine.
Fast airplane.
Some are pressurized.
Some are turbo charged.
Some are both.

Combine any of the above and the insurance rates skyrocket.

I talked to a 1988 C210 owner recently and he said that he was very willing
to pay the extra premium for a turbo 210 over a non turbo 210, but when he
asked about a pressurized T-210 the rate was absolutely astronomical.

Jim

ups.com...

Old October 28th 05, 10:01 PM
Montblack

wrote)
This insurance agent told me the 210 was a special case, I assume due
to loss rate. There are some companies that won't write policies for
210s at all. I just can't figure what it is about that plane that would
make getting insured such a hassle.

Was the one in the video a fixed gear? I didn't see any 'holes' for the rear
gear when it was being hauled away on the trailer. I thought 210's were all
retracts. Maybe not.

1973 C-210L.

Montblack

Old October 28th 05, 10:18 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Montblack wrote:

Was the one in the video a fixed gear? I didn't see any 'holes' for the
rear gear when it was being hauled away on the trailer. I thought 210's
were all retracts. Maybe not.

1973 C-210L.

Its a retract... Nonturbo'd... The gear tucks into the "doors" which
close when its extended or retracted for better aerodynamics. Easiest
way to tell is the way they look phunnie in the front when the gear is
down... As I stated previously we shared hanger space with him in the
jet hanger, my dad was kindly towards him and sublet space. He's on the
airport commission (only active pilot) and was instrumental in trying to
have several planes evicted over the manditory insurance rule instituted
nearly a year ago now. His plane was stored outside at the time and he
dearly wanted one of their T-Hanger slots. He recently got one a month
ago, guess I need to see if its available...
Old October 28th 05, 11:09 PM
Newps

Jim Burns wrote:
Newer 210's are 6 place
Older 210's have a complicated gear & gear/door system that has caused some
gear up situations.
Large engine.
Fast airplane.
Some are pressurized.
Some are turbo charged.
Some are both.

Combine any of the above and the insurance rates skyrocket.

Bull****. It costs me less to insure my Bonanza for 6 seats than it
would to insure a 206 with 4 seats. Exact same hull value.
Old October 29th 05, 01:29 AM
Newps

Jim Burns wrote:
What kind of numbers, just for comparison? We used to pay $2400 for an 80k
R-182, 1M/1K.

$88K hull on my Bonanza. 1M/1K. $1500. I called the insurance company
last spring about a P206(non turbo) I was considering. If I only insured
4 seats it would have been $1800. My 182 was $1000 a year and had been
for the last 5 years, $70K hull.

Old October 29th 05, 03:26 AM
Newps

My Bo is with Avemco. The quote for the 206 was when I was using
Travers as my broker for my 182.

Jim Burns wrote:
Wow, not bad at all! Which broker/company?
Thanks
Jim

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Old October 29th 05, 02:33 PM
Peter R.

Newps wrote:

Bull****. It costs me less to insure my Bonanza for 6 seats than it
would to insure a 206 with 4 seats. Exact same hull value.

I have the fifth and sixth seat for my Bonanza but I haven't yet installed
them because of fear of a large insurance increase (a rumor perpetuated by
the previous owner). Also, there wasn't really a need until this year, now
that the surprise third child is eight months old and ready to fly.

--
Peter
Not a doctor or a lawyer