Yet another "Radar Required" question.

Old April 17th 04, 08:22 PM
Roy Smith

Default Yet another "Radar Required" question.

There's two GPS approaches into KDMW; the RNAV (GPS) RWY 16 and the RNAV
(GPS) RWY 32.

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...s/05533R16.pdf
http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...s/05533R34.pdf

Both start from off-airway IAF's, with no feeder routes. Both use the
same missed approach fix. Yet, one is marked "Radar Required" and the
other isn't. Anybody have any clue why?

Secondary question -- I thought the concept of these pure GPS approaches
was to lay out 3 IAF's in a T pattern. Why no outside IAF's, and no PT?
Both of these seem kind of ugly if you start them from a course 180
degrees off the FAC.
Old April 17th 04, 10:35 PM

Roy Smith wrote:

There's two GPS approaches into KDMW; the RNAV (GPS) RWY 16 and the RNAV
(GPS) RWY 32.

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...s/05533R16.pdf
http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...s/05533R34.pdf

Both start from off-airway IAF's, with no feeder routes. Both use the
same missed approach fix. Yet, one is marked "Radar Required" and the
other isn't. Anybody have any clue why?

Secondary question -- I thought the concept of these pure GPS approaches
was to lay out 3 IAF's in a T pattern. Why no outside IAF's, and no PT?
Both of these seem kind of ugly if you start them from a course 180
degrees off the FAC.

Is FOUST on an airway? If it isn't then the facility needs to use at least
a radar monitor to get you there.

As to the "T" design, that is the design objective, but in crowded airspace
like that the ATC folks probably told the procedures designers "Don't do
that here."

Old April 17th 04, 10:37 PM

Roy Smith wrote:

Secondary question -- I thought the concept of these pure GPS approaches
was to lay out 3 IAF's in a T pattern. Why no outside IAF's, and no PT?
Both of these seem kind of ugly if you start them from a course 180
degrees off the FAC.

As to a large course change, the procedures designer is supposed to annotate
course-change limitations for procedure entry. See KUDD RNAV 10. But, they
haven't started "enforcing" that requirement of TERPs until the last couple
of years.

Old April 17th 04, 10:50 PM
Bob Gardner

AIM 5-4-5, figures 5-4-10 and onward, show some alternatives to the basic T.
Not a complete answer to your question, but...
Bob Gardner

Old April 17th 04, 11:10 PM
Stan Gosnell

Roy Smith wrote in
:

There's two GPS approaches into KDMW; the RNAV (GPS) RWY 16
and the RNAV (GPS) RWY 32.

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...dfs/05533R16.p
df
http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...dfs/05533R34.p
df

Both start from off-airway IAF's, with no feeder routes.
Both use the same missed approach fix. Yet, one is marked
"Radar Required" and the other isn't. Anybody have any
clue why?

It appears to me that they made a mistake on the GPS Rwy 16 by
not making radar required. There is no way to fly the approach
if you're coming from the south, since it's marked PT NA.

Secondary question -- I thought the concept of these pure
GPS approaches was to lay out 3 IAF's in a T pattern. Why
no outside IAF's, and no PT? Both of these seem kind of
ugly if you start them from a course 180 degrees off the
FAC.

Yabbut, lots of them don't have that. All the GPS approaches to
Scholes Field, Galveston, TX are without a T, and all are marked
radar required. They are too close to HOU and EFD to have
people flying long procedure turns, so they just have a
straight-in approach, with radar required to get to the FAC.
The approaches you referenced look the same, but I don't have
any charts handy to see what else is near. I think both
approaches should have radar required.

--
Regards,

Stan
Old April 17th 04, 11:52 PM
Roy Smith

Stan Gosnell me@work wrote:
It appears to me that they made a mistake on the GPS Rwy 16 by
not making radar required.

OK, that makes sense.

There is no way to fly the approach
if you're coming from the south, since it's marked PT NA.

My first reaction was "What do you mean it's marked PT NA?". Then I saw
the notation on the vertical profile view. There's no "NoPT" on the
plan view. Another charting error?

Hmm, the 34 doesn't have either NoPT on the plan view or PT NA on the
profile. I guess that also makes sense since the only way to fly it on
vectors.

I just did some hunting around, and it looks like NACO takes chart
corrections via email, . I guess I'll drop them
a line and see what they say.
Old April 18th 04, 05:56 AM
Richard Hertz

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Stan Gosnell me@work wrote:
It appears to me that they made a mistake on the GPS Rwy 16 by
not making radar required.

OK, that makes sense.

There is no way to fly the approach
if you're coming from the south, since it's marked PT NA.

My first reaction was "What do you mean it's marked PT NA?". Then I saw
the notation on the vertical profile view. There's no "NoPT" on the
plan view. Another charting error?

Hmm, the 34 doesn't have either NoPT on the plan view or PT NA on the
profile. I guess that also makes sense since the only way to fly it on
vectors.

There is no PT identified on the chart so it needs no "NoPT" to tell you not
to PT. The NoPT is (I think) only shown on segments of an approach that
have PTs (the approach has PT) but where some IAF do not require a PT and
some do.

As for the Radar required - check the 2 NM and 1.1 NM points on the chart -
it looks like they have it there for that? (Though I suppose your GPS might
be able to tell you that but it probably is not a waypoint).

Old April 18th 04, 05:59 PM

Richard Hertz wrote:

There is no PT identified on the chart so it needs no "NoPT" to tell you not
to PT. The NoPT is (I think) only shown on segments of an approach that
have PTs (the approach has PT) but where some IAF do not require a PT and
some do.

Jeppesen doesn't chart "Procedure Turn N/A" which is quite different than
"NoPT." "NoPT" is used only on segments of an IAP that has a course reversal
and a segment so marked does not require the course reversal. Jeppesen's view
is that the lack of a course reversal (PT or HIL) makes it self-evident that the
course reversal is not authorized.

As for the Radar required - check the 2 NM and 1.1 NM points on the chart -
it looks like they have it there for that? (Though I suppose your GPS might
be able to tell you that but it probably is not a waypoint).

Yes, your GPS can tell you and, no, it is not a waypoint. It is an Along Track
Distance (ATD) fix, which is like a DME stepdown fix.

AIM 1-1-19-13

"13. Unnamed stepdown fixes in the final approach segment will not be coded in
the waypoint sequence of the aircraft's navigation database and must be
identified using ATD. Stepdown fixes in the final approach segment of RNAV (GPS)
approaches are being named, in addition to being identified by ATD. However,
since most GPS avionics do not accommodate waypoints between the FAF and MAP,
even when the waypoint is named, the waypoints for these stepdown fixes may not
appear in the sequence of waypoints in the navigation database. Pilots must
continue to identify these stepdown fixes using ATD."

Old April 18th 04, 10:10 PM
Richard Hertz

Is this any different than what I wrote?

I agree, NoPT is not the same as PT not authorized, but I was trying to
correct what I thought was an error in Roy's reasoning...

Perhaps I did not make myself clear.

Old April 19th 04, 05:21 PM

Here are the NOTAMS they issued today:

FDC 4/3343 - FI/T CARROLL COUNTY REGIONAL/JACK B. POAGE FIELD, WESTMINSTER,
MD RNAV (GPS) RWY 16, ORIG... UNYTS WP: CHANGE FIX DESCRIPTION FROM (IAF) TO
(IF). RADAR REQUIRED. WIE UNTIL UFN

FDC 4/3344 - FI/T CARROLL COUNTY REGIONAL/JACK B. POAGE FIELD, WESTMINSTER,
MD RNAV (GPS) RWY 34, ORIG... FOUST WP: CHANGE FIX DESCRIPTION FROM (IAF) TO
(IF). WIE UNTIL UFN