antenna for Garmin GPS in C172 or C152

Old May 5th 07, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d&tm

Default antenna for Garmin GPS in C172 or C152

Looking ( yeh I know I have been looking a lot) at buying a Garmin GPS (
probably a 96C), and they have 2 types of external antenna, one has like a
suction cup on it and the other has a magnet.). Just wondered what type is
best and where the best place is to locate the antenna . I would have
guessed the back window would have the least obstructed view, but then I
have to run the cable from the yoke to the back window which sounds a bit
messy. Will the front screen be OK? ( I am only a renter, so I cant lay any
cables permanently). What do other folks here do with their antenna? I am a
bit wary of the magnet idea in case it affects the compass ... I dont want
to rely totally on GPS.
terry

Old May 5th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

You most likely don't need an external antenna. If you do it doesn't
need to attach to anything. Just run the cable up to the front of the
windshield and set it there. If it wants to move push a small portion
into the junction of the top of the panel and the windshield just
forward of the pilots door.

Old May 5th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d&tm

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
You most likely don't need an external antenna. If you do it doesn't
need to attach to anything. Just run the cable up to the front of the
windshield and set it there. If it wants to move push a small portion
into the junction of the top of the panel and the windshield just
forward of the pilots door.

Thanks for the suggestio Newps . The reason I am buying a Garmin is because
I had a lttle Magellan Map 330 which worked fine when I was flying a
Warrior, but on about 3 occaisions flying a Cessna the signal dropped out.
the consensus of advice I recieved was that the high wing blocked out the
signal, and unfortunately the Magellan units dont have external antenna
facility.
terry

Old May 6th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim

I have a Garmin 296 which I use in rented C152s and C172s. I don't use an
outside antenna. I just put the GPS receiver on the dash of the aiplane (on
a beanbag mount, which is temporary and works great) and use the little
antenna on the GPS receiver. It works fine. I've never had any problems
with reception.
Martha

Old May 6th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

"d&tm" wrote in message

Looking ( yeh I know I have been looking a lot) at buying a Garmin GPS (
probably a 96C), and they have 2 types of external antenna, one has like

suction cup on it and the other has a magnet.). Just wondered what type

is
best and where the best place is to locate the antenna . I would have
guessed the back window would have the least obstructed view, but then I
have to run the cable from the yoke to the back window which sounds a bit
messy. Will the front screen be OK? ( I am only a renter, so I cant lay

any
cables permanently). What do other folks here do with their antenna? I am

bit wary of the magnet idea in case it affects the compass ... I dont want
to rely totally on GPS.
terry- Hide quoted text -

I have a 96C and have used it extensively in a 172N, and never had any
problem at all with reception. With no need for an antenna and the
HUGE battery life, you're completely cable free, and it's wonderful!!
The bonus yoke mount isn't the best on our 172 though, the clamp is
designed for a thicker tube on the backside of the yoke, but it still
works, it's just not quite as firm as I would prefer.

If you are tossing up between a 96 and a 96C, my advice is definitely
get the 96C. Twice the battery life (40 hrs vs 20 hrs) and 5 times
the memory. Oh, and the colour screen looks fabulous in bright
sunlight, believe it or not!!

Old May 7th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d&tm

oups.com...

(
[...]

Thanks for the advice Chris. You have convinced me. The 96C it is!
terry

Old May 7th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d&tm

"Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim" wrote in message
I have a Garmin 296 which I use in rented C152s and C172s. I don't use an
outside antenna. I just put the GPS receiver on the dash of the aiplane

(on
a beanbag mount, which is temporary and works great) and use the little
antenna on the GPS receiver. It works fine. I've never had any problems
with reception.
Martha

Thanks Martha, thats very useful to know, perhaps in hindsight the problem I
had with the magellan was I just had it sitting on the pax seat ( which was
always fine in the warrior) perhaps if I put it on the dash in the cessna it
would be OK. I have decided to go for a garmin 96C anyway because I want
the aviation data base.
terry

Old May 8th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

oups.com...

"d&tm" wrote in message

[...]

No worries!!

It also comes with a free yoke mount which takes less than a minute to
install and remove, and puts it right in front of you and with good
amounts of windshield above it for excellent satellite reception.

I just remembered that a friend was in the back seat of our Arrow the
other day and couldn't get reception on his iPaq GPS with external
antenna but it works fine attached to the yoke..

I think the 96C is just awesome for such a small unit, for what it can
do! I use a Mac and download my tracks after each flight and can
analyse track plus alt + speed, it's really good!

Garmin 95 antenna needed Marty from Florida Owning 0 February 19th 06 08:48 PM
Garmin remote antenna Dave Piloting 3 December 18th 05 11:58 AM
Many manuals and POH for auction, C402B, C177RG, C172, Garmin 300xl E-man Piloting 0 December 15th 05 03:08 AM
FS '77 C152 Darrel Toepfer Aviation Marketplace 6 June 19th 04 02:20 AM
Garmin Emap Handheld GPS w/ Remote Antenna AND Data Transfer Cable Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 October 1st 03 02:06 AM