Lone Woman Takes on World's Top Men in NZ Grand Prix

Old December 6th 05, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Lone Woman Takes on World's Top Men in NZ Grand Prix

Maybe if she wins the FAI will eliminate future womens
world and national records. The glider has no idea
if the pilot points or sits.
Soarin

I'm at a loss to understand why the soaring community
still makes the
destinction between men and, (not girls as noted above),
but women
pilots. As Ms Pedersen points out, she is not physically
limited from
doing as well as male pilots which suggests that the
sailplane does not
know the gender of the pilot flying it. Clearly thermals,
mountain
wave and other forms of lift don't know the difference.
The only
qualification to fly at this level of compition should
be having won
previous competitions. I don't understand why women
don't see making a
gender distinction as condensending although I'm sure
I'm about to be
so informed. Well, flame away folks!

Old December 6th 05, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Apologies for the typo on the url which should read
www.gp06.com.
Apologies also on the 'first woman to compete' statement.
This
information was supplied to us by a reliable source
and without having
European gliding records to hand down here in New Zealand
we were
unable to check this.

What we do hope to achieve by publicising the Grand
Prix and providing
interesting media stories, such as Mette's, surrounding
it is that gliding
will receive a higher profile, thereby attracting both
new pilots and
investment which can only be a positive result for
both the future of the
sport and its participants.

At 12:48 06 December 2005, Mal wrote:
should read can not

'Mal' wrote in message
Looks like we are being spammed by a PR company that
can get the

facts
straight or post the proper URL

dropletmedia.co.nz

Dont suppose they could lend me that ASW 28 for the
Nationals then

get it
back over in time for the GP ?

Old December 6th 05, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article ,
Victoria Murray-Orr wrote:

Apologies also on the 'first woman to compete' statement. This
information was supplied to us by a reliable source and without
having European gliding records to hand down here in New Zealand we
were unable to check this.

How about NZ records, from the same airfield, only ten years ago?

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old December 7th 05, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mal wrote:
should read can not

Yeah, we figured that out :-)

Tony V.
Old December 7th 05, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc Ramsey wrote:

I'm glad all of us *men* have decided what is appropriate for *women*.
Some things never change....

You're right, Marc.

Let's just ignore them.

Jack
Old December 7th 05, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 03:00 07 December 2005, Marc Ramsey wrote:
I'm glad all of us *men* have decided what is appropriate
for *women*.
Some things never change...

Like the ever present overly PC Bridade...

JD

Old December 7th 05, 08:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John Doe wrote:
At 03:00 07 December 2005, Marc Ramsey wrote:

I'm glad all of us *men* have decided what is appropriate
for *women*.
Some things never change...

Like the ever present overly PC Bridade...

As you have so ably demonstrated...