Soaring safaris

Old December 8th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Soaring safaris

flying_monkey wrote:

Yeah, and the wind chill will be about zero. I can't even imagine
assembling the glider at that temperature. And I don't have any
electric socks, or enough battery to run them.

No thanks, I want someplace a little warmer.

In the Northeast at this time of year, the pre-flight decision-making
includes:

"Should I not wear gloves and lose the feeling in my fingers, or wear
gloves and drop my wing?"

But the ridge flying will be good! Buy a one-man rigger instead of the
airfare to somewhere exotic, and wear the gloves. Cheaper than fixing
the dropped wing.

Meanwhile, it's about 85 to 90 degrees F in South Africa, Argentina
and Australia.
Mid- 60s and clear in the Mojave desert the last few days, a little
cooler in the mountains, but stable. :-(
There should be some wave coming...
Jim

Old December 8th 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Greef

JS wrote:
flying_monkey wrote:

[...]

Temperature is right (25C) - but there is 8/8 low cloud in Johannesburg (South
Africa) right now. No flying, gloves or no gloves.

Funny - I tried to fly with gloves to protect my hands from the sun - and found
my flying deteriorated significantly. Maybe on a glider that has higher stick
forces than my Cirrus it is not an issue, but even soft pigskin leather was too
much for me to retain feedback.
Old December 8th 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Gloves was Soaring safaris

Bruce Greef wrote:

Temperature is right (25C) - but there is 8/8 low cloud in Johannesburg (South
Africa) right now. No flying, gloves or no gloves.

Funny - I tried to fly with gloves to protect my hands from the sun - and found

i my flying deteriorated significantly. Maybe on a glider that has
higher stick
forces than my Cirrus it is not an issue, but even soft pigskin leather was too
much for me to retain feedback.

I have been using "band" gloves, the light ones used by marching bands
for several years and they work very well. I do not notice a
difference in flying and actually now miss them if I am not wearing
them and it is sunny in the glider.

Tim

Old December 8th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bruce Greef wrote:

Temperature is right (25C) - but there is 8/8 low cloud in Johannesburg (South
Africa) right now. No flying, gloves or no gloves.

Funny - I tried to fly with gloves to protect my hands from the sun - and found

i my flying deteriorated significantly. Maybe on a glider that has
higher stick
forces than my Cirrus it is not an issue, but even soft pigskin leather was too
much for me to retain feedback.

Bruce

I think your glove problem whilst flying stems from you flying skills!
If you were all over the place normally (like me) then the gloves
wouldn't bother you and you could save a bundle by flying locally in
the cold. So all you gotta do is loosen-up and fly right (wrong)!

Bob

Old December 8th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah

I saw some "Colorado Boys" using thin blue gloves last season. They
said they were gloves made for handling photographic film. Maybe a
camera shop.

We laughed, but later I wished I had gloves.. the sun can be intense.

Sarah

Old December 8th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Dec 8, 1:39 pm, "Sarah" wrote:
I saw some "Colorado Boys" using thin blue gloves last season. They
said they were gloves made for handling photographic film. Maybe a
camera shop.

I wear bicycling gloves, though would like to find something similar
without the padding in the palm of the hand. These have all the
fingers cut out, and the back of the hand is mesh. I use them
primarily to absorb sweaty palms (from all the low circling over rocks
and some to help keeping cool. Interestingly, even black gloves
keep my hands noticeably cooler than when I fly without the gloves.

-Tom

Old December 8th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

If you want to protect your hands from the sun, here is a link you might
want to see. http://www.coolibar.com/sungloves.html

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

"5Z" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old December 9th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bruce

Here is another laugh, true story!

I am a relatively low time pilot and have the joy and priveledge to fly
in the northern Alps where the mountains are big and the landing fields
tend to be in the valley at the foot of the mountain your flying.

Well, as I usually winch launch (learned to fly at a club that only has
a winch) I needed an areotow from Kufstein in Austria back up to a peak
to catch a thermal that I shoulda caught the first time I was up there!
Oh well, what's an 80€ tow. Off we went, now you must understand, I
was checked out for areotow, as a matter of fact I had quite a few
areotows at this time, something like 22! Off we went, into the wild
blue yonder, towing straight to a spine that had been in the bright sun
for a few hours.

Well it is getting a little bumpy, I'm having a little trouble staying
behind the tug, when all of a sudden the tow plane rolls 90 degrees to
the left, and I roll 90 degrees to the right (good thing I wear a
diaper when flying). Somehow we both recover without getting slack in
the line (something I have trouble with in the best of times), now the
tow is getting rough. I called the tow pilot to ask if he wanted me to
release and he answered, with a slow Texas drawl mixed with an Austrian
accent, think Gw and Arnold, "Well you can get off if you like but your
payin for the whole ride! Wait till you see the towplane tween you and
the ground then I think you should leave"

Rode a few more minutes, kinda like areobatics on a string, relaesed
into a 6ms thermal and in 3 minute had enough height to glide home.
When I drove past Kufstein a few days later I dropped off a case of
bier for the tow pilots.

Bob