GPS AND MAP

Old September 12th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Default GPS AND MAP

Mark,

That's exactly what I expect. I was trying to point this out.

IC.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 12th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Frank Ch. Eigler

Mark Hansen wrote:

Will the 530 allow you to fly a non-GPS overlay VOR/Loc approach
using the GPS? The 430 doesn't. [...]

That's only for GPS-based navigation. Flip the 430 or 530's CDI
switch to VLOC, tune in the NAV portion, and enjoy the approach.

That's what I mean by "Using the GPS". When you switch to VLOC,
you're using the VOR/Localizer, not the GPS.

Then I don't see why you're splitting this hair. An integrated
GPS/nav box like the 430 will let one do the approach either using
official VOR/LOC data, or with unofficial "situational awareness" GPS
data. It is silly to denigrate these units with "doesn't ... allow",
when they are strictly more capable than a GPS-only navigator.

- FChE
Old September 12th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 09/12/06 09:07, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:

Will the 530 allow you to fly a non-GPS overlay VOR/Loc approach
using the GPS? The 430 doesn't. [...]

That's only for GPS-based navigation. Flip the 430 or 530's CDI
switch to VLOC, tune in the NAV portion, and enjoy the approach.

That's what I mean by "Using the GPS". When you switch to VLOC,
you're using the VOR/Localizer, not the GPS.

Then I don't see why you're splitting this hair. An integrated
GPS/nav box like the 430 will let one do the approach either using
official VOR/LOC data, or with unofficial "situational awareness" GPS
data. It is silly to denigrate these units with "doesn't ... allow",
when they are strictly more capable than a GPS-only navigator.

- FChE

Because the instrument pilot needs to know whether he's using the
box in GPS mode or non-GPS mode. This is an important distinction.
For example, the regulations regarding the approach are different
(as in different minimums, etc.), the way the unit responds to
navigation signals is different, etc.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old September 13th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kai Glaesner

Taking into account that the OP was talking about a PC12 in
FlightSimulator 9, this thread turned out quite professional.... ;-)

Best Regards

Kai