Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 14th 05, 03:31 PM
Matt Barrow

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

Actually, our fiscal situation is even worse. If we put a $4 tax on
gasoline, we could balance the budget but it wouldn't make social security
viable. The US has become totally addicted to spending tomorrow's money
today.

Close; the addiction is to spending OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY!!

Old April 14th 05, 04:05 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

Actually, our fiscal situation is even worse. If we put a $4 tax on
gasoline, we could balance the budget but it wouldn't make social
security
viable. The US has become totally addicted to spending tomorrow's money
today.

Close; the addiction is to spending OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY!!

True. Seems to be inevitable in a democracy.

Mike
MU-2

Old April 14th 05, 04:44 PM
Matt Barrow

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

Actually, our fiscal situation is even worse. If we put a $4 tax on
gasoline, we could balance the budget but it wouldn't make social
security
viable. The US has become totally addicted to spending tomorrow's

money
today.

Close; the addiction is to spending OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY!!

True. Seems to be inevitable in a democracy.

In non-democracies, too! More like it's human nature.

Old April 14th 05, 07:23 PM
K. Ari Krupnikov

"Mike Rapoport" writes:

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

Close; the addiction is to spending OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY!!

True. Seems to be inevitable in a democracy.

Luckily, that problem never plagues dictatorships. Since everything in
the country belongs to its dictator, he's only ever spending his own
money :=)

Ari.

--
Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
betting on the outcome.
Old April 14th 05, 08:44 PM
AliR

If my government taxed gasoline so that it cost $7.50 per gallon, I would
be
standing on my representatives desk right now. And so would millions of
Americans. For some odd reason, the French just go "Se la vie" and shrug
their shoulders.

Don't worry it will be up there pretty soon, the price of avgas has doubled
in the last 4 years, say double up again in another 4 and there you have it.

AliR.

Old April 14th 05, 08:54 PM
Jay Honeck

Makes you wonder how people so dunder-headed ever spawned men like
Bleriot...

That's not racist? One of us is missing something.

Might want to look up "racist" in the dictionary BEFORE accusing me of
racism, Tony.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 14th 05, 08:55 PM
Jay Honeck

Offensive? Sure. Surprising? Not in the least.

You're "offended" by my broadsiding the French?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 14th 05, 09:00 PM
Jay Honeck

If my government taxed gasoline so that it cost $7.50 per gallon, I would
be
standing on my representatives desk right now. And so would millions of
Americans.

No they won't!

Day after tomorrow is tax day and no one is even flinching.

I think you're wrong, Matt.

The Federal tax code has been carefully -- even diabolically -- written so
that the average Joe on the street has NO idea what he's actually paying in
taxes. By forcing employers to withhold the tax BEFORE the employee ever
sees the money, the Gubmint not only guarantees payment, it guarantees
acquiescence.

Bottom line: The government keeps the tax laws inscrutably complex quite on
purpose, lest they provoke an uprising.

Gas prices, on the other hand, are plain as day transparent, and people are
already ****ed as hell. The Bush administration is crapping their pants
right now, watching GW's approval rating plummet, primarily because of
rising gas prices.

If it hit $7.50 a gallon, you would see a revolution in America.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 14th 05, 09:07 PM
Jay Honeck

But I like to be brought to the ER after an accident ASAP and beeing
searched
for an insurance card _after_ the emergency treatment.

Martin, I don't know what kind of propaganda they've been feeding you in
Austria, but in America no one cares about who's paying for the bills here
until after the emergency medical services are rendered.

And, in fact, we *do* have nationalized health care in this country for the
indigent. Those who deny this fact clearly have no concept of how our
medical system works. (Mary's "other" job is doing statistical computer
analysis for a major health care provider, and she spent 20 years as a
Medical Technologist "in the trenches" drawing blood, etc. She analyzes
budgets, and gets to see, first hand, how Medicare and other government
programs pay 100% of health care costs for anyone who walks in the door
without insurance..)

Could the system be set up in a more efficient way? Hell, yes. But it *is*
functioning, and our health care *is* quite excellent.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 14th 05, 09:08 PM
Jay Honeck

For some odd reason, the French just go "Se la vie" and shrug
their shoulders.

come on ... it is "C'est la vie"

My French ancestors are spinning in their graves, I'm sure...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 06:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM