Plans/suggestions wanted for car or truck mounted av/mo gas tankfor self fueling

Old December 1st 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Pete Brown

Default Plans/suggestions wanted for car or truck mounted av/mo gas tankfor self fueling

I have a C-170 than readily and legally burns mogas and I would like to
find some plans or suggestions for building a tank, pump, and filter
system that I can mount in an old pickup or on a small trailer.

I don't need much capacity, 40 gallons would be adequate, 50 probably
overkill, as my plane's tanks only hold 37 usable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable system?

Thanks

--
Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Going home after a long day
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1415/...22928754_b.jpg

The fleet at Summit. Mt. McKinley is about 45nm away at 20,320 msl.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/4...cb8d2482_b.jpg

The 170B at Bold near Eklutna Glacier
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/4...a216d7bb75.jpg

Old December 1st 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

http://alexisparkinn.com/new_mighty_grape.htm

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old December 2nd 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

What do you need plans for. Go to your local farm and ranch store and
get the size tank you want. I got a 100 gallon tank that fits in the
pickup bed. Drill four holes and attach the power. Then attach the 12V
electric pump, filter and hose. Fill with fuel. I have since moved the
tank to a 4x8 trailer kit that I bought later at the same store. Don't
settle on the 50 gallon because the plane holds 37. A bigger capacity
allows you to go longer between trips to the gas station.

Old December 4th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
What do you need plans for. Go to your local farm and ranch store and get
the size tank you want. I got a 100 gallon tank that fits in the pickup
bed. ...

Isn't the "shelf life" of mogas much shorter than avgas? At 7 gph that 170
would take a while to burn through 100 gallons. Also, isn't there a
(probably local) fire code that regulates how much gasoline you can carry in
a private vehicle without a special permit? We tried to put a diesel tank in
at our place in Tulsa and were surprised that a 55 gallon drum was all we
could haul/store without special permits. There was also a limit as to the
number of 55 gallons drums we could have.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Old December 4th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Jim Carter wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

What do you need plans for. Go to your local farm and ranch store and get
the size tank you want. I got a 100 gallon tank that fits in the pickup
bed. ...

Isn't the "shelf life" of mogas much shorter than avgas?

That's what "they" say. It has not been my experience.

At 7 gph that 170
would take a while to burn through 100 gallons. Also, isn't there a
(probably local) fire code that regulates how much gasoline you can carry in
a private vehicle without a special permit? We tried to put a diesel tank in
at our place in Tulsa and were surprised that a 55 gallon drum was all we
could haul/store without special permits. There was also a limit as to the
number of 55 gallons drums we could have.

Much debate about this. Every farmer has at least a 100 gallon tank in
the back of their truck. Every Trade-A-Plane has a number of fuel
trailers for sale. The local USDA guys around here have a 300 gallon
gas trailer for their helicopters. They just put wheels and a tongue on
this big oval tank. I don't worry about it.
Old December 5th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Much debate about this. Every farmer has at least a 100 gallon tank in
the back of their truck. Every Trade-A-Plane has a number of fuel
trailers for sale. The local USDA guys around here have a 300 gallon
gas trailer for their helicopters. They just put wheels and a tongue on
this big oval tank. I don't worry about it.

Smart move. I had my tank made to hold 55 gallons, because of our
fear of crossing the laws. (Also, the original Grape was a much
smaller Nissan pick-up truck -- so I was a bit worried about
capacity.)

Now, with a full-sized Mighty Grape, I sure wish we had gone with a
bigger tank. Atlas holds 84 gallons, so we end up filling the
transfer tank pretty much every week. .
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 5th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I have a C-170 than readily and legally burns mogas and I would like to
find some plans or suggestions for building a tank, pump, and filter
system that I can mount in an old pickup or on a small trailer.

I don't need much capacity, 40 gallons would be adequate, 50 probably
overkill, as my plane's tanks only hold 37 usable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable system?

You've received some good suggestions. My further advice would be:

- Make sure it's got a professional gas filter, like ours does. (I"ve
seen some farmers' rigs that don't have filters, and cringe. Although
I've cut my filters and NEVER found so much as a trace of dirt or
grit, so maybe I'm just being paranoid?)

- Get some professional help installing it. I've got a buddy who owns
an auto repair shop, and he was a great help, coming up with rubber
shock pads to mount the tank on (for shock absorbtion and so water can
drain), drilling the mounting holes in the right places, and -- in the
case of the new Mighty Grape -- fabricating/welding the wheel wells
that had to be flattened in order to make the old tank fit properly.

- Use the heaviest duty electrical cable you can find. They make
stuff that is designed to be exposed to just about ANYTHING,
environmentally, without degrading. It's not cheap, but that's what
you need. It'll most likely be run on the frame of the vehicle, where
it is subject to all sorts of salt, sand, water, mud, etc., so don't
scrimp here.

- Run the power cable directly to your battery, and install a good-
quality in-line fuse. You want to be able to use the pump without the
vehicle running.

- You can save yourself some money by skipping the gas gauge. I added
it because I had a buddy who wanted to buy gas from me, and I needed
to know how much he used.

It's a truly worthwhile project that has many benefits. You would not
believe how many times I've used the Grape for applications other than
avaition. Being able to fill our mowers/snow blowers/leaf blowers/
chain saws from the back of the truck is just a terrific, time-saving
convenience.

I've pumped nearly 9,000 gallons of car gas through Atlas now, without
a burp. Do the math, and you can see that I've paid for a LOT of
flying.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 6th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

"Newps" wrote in message

Jim Carter wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

With the overabundance of participants in the legal profession, wouldn't you
worry about defending yourself in a suit where even if the accident wasn't
your fault, your violation of law made the results much worse? I'm thinking
about a traffic accident involving a spill (very expensive to clean up) or a
fire (very expensive...period) resulting from the fuel being tankered.

I'm not saying I disagree with your premise and I would probably do the same
in a rural area, but I'd sure be concerned with the laws if I was anywhere
near a metropolitan area. This flying hobby is way too expensive already to
have to shell out an uninsured settlement.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Old December 6th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Jim Carter wrote:

With the overabundance of participants in the legal profession, wouldn't you
worry about defending yourself in a suit where even if the accident wasn't
your fault, your violation of law made the results much worse? I'm thinking
about a traffic accident involving a spill (very expensive to clean up) or a
fire (very expensive...period) resulting from the fuel being tankered.

I'm not saying I disagree with your premise and I would probably do the same
in a rural area, but I'd sure be concerned with the laws if I was anywhere
near a metropolitan area. This flying hobby is way too expensive already to
have to shell out an uninsured settlement.

I'm insured. As my brother, who works for State Farm, is fond of
saying, "We insure stupidity."
Old December 7th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Jim Carter wrote:

With the overabundance of participants in the legal profession, wouldn't
you worry about defending yourself in a suit where even if the accident
wasn't your fault, your violation of law made the results much worse? I'm
thinking about a traffic accident involving a spill (very expensive to
clean up) or a fire (very expensive...period) resulting from the fuel
being tankered.

I'm not saying I disagree with your premise and I would probably do the
same in a rural area, but I'd sure be concerned with the laws if I was
anywhere near a metropolitan area. This flying hobby is way too expensive
already to have to shell out an uninsured settlement.

I'm insured. As my brother, who works for State Farm, is fond of saying,
"We insure stupidity."

Does your insurance cover your acts if they are illegal? Most insurance
carriers will not honor coverage if you were participating in an illegal
activity. Hauling more fuel than allowed by law would certainly be
questionable wouldn't it?

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas