Medical question (PAD)

Old September 15th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Default Medical question (PAD)

Steve wrote:
My condition is limited to my legs.

Good luck with your efforts.

Btw, be careful.
Your symptoms may be primarily expressed in your lower extremities but PVD is
rarely LIMITED to that region. I often see folks who are surprised to learn
of coincident kidney dysfunction and other sytemic effects they didn't expect.

Stay in touch with your pri-care pro regarding your vascular disease,
abdominal/pelvic involvement is always a possibility and just something to
keep in mind.

Again, good luck and good health to ya.

Old September 15th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Steve" wrote in message

"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
m...
Steve wrote:
"Peter Clark" wrote in
message

And once you do go to their forums. They have a "Medical Matters" forum
in there where Dr. Bruce Chien has helped a lot of people with medical
issues. He is a CFIA-I-MEI-ATP, AME and on AOPA's Board of Aviation
Medical advisers. He answers questions very quickly in the forum and via
private messages.

He did, within minutes of posting. Thanks to all for the suggestion

And, once you get this sorted out, if you would please, sit down with your
instructor and (politely if possible) explain what a moron he/she was for
not making sure you got advice on how to best deal with this
___B_E_F_O_R_E___ you made the appointment with the AME. There are
questions that can really screw you up if you don't word things properly
regarding your history. You have to be honest, but you don't want to write
things down in a way that could be misinterpreted. (And not being a doctor
yourself, are you really sure you are writing the right thing?) Also, you
want may want to have the RIGHT documentation AHEAD of time.

Perhaps if you explain this, his/her next student might not have to go down
the same road.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old September 16th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Steve wrote:
I am trying to get my 3rd class medical, and have received a request for
more info from the FAA on my diagnosis of peripheral artery disease. My
condition is limited to my legs. Anyone else successfully get their medical
with this condition? Or anyone denied? Thanks.

As a medical guy, NOT an AME..

the rationale is that if you have vascular disease in your legs you are
highly likely to have vascular disease in other places, such as the heart..

Dont be surprised if you end up seeing a cardiologist and perhaps get at
least a minimum a stress test and perhaps a heart and peripheral
catheterizaion, especially if your PVD is to the point of having
symptoms - leg pain, coldness, fatigue with exertion. This should not be
a permanently grounding issue, but depending on what findings there are,
you may have some hoops to jump through.

I've been working in the Cardiac Cath Lab for 4 months now, after a
decade in ER and ICU.. and when they say a picture is worth a thousand
words, I've seen hundreds of images of coronary and peripheral arteries

Smoking is a big factor in disease too, by the way.. And while the lungs
may recover with time, the blood vessels rarely do.

Good luck
The usual "contact AOPA's medical group" applies.

Dave

medical question Emily Piloting 223 September 28th 06 09:50 PM
Question on the medical... Richard Piloting 25 March 29th 06 04:41 PM
Medical question Michael Piloting 10 December 7th 05 06:58 PM
FAA medical question G. Sylvester Piloting 17 March 12th 05 11:13 AM
Question Medical Captain Wubba Piloting 5 June 11th 04 05:12 AM