How to Remove Piston from Cylinder

Old October 2nd 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jon Woellhaf

Default How to Remove Piston from Cylinder

Is anyone in the chapter a surgeon or does anyone know one personally? I
have a surgeon friend who's an expert in performing abdominal surgery
through a tiny incision. He could remove your appendix though your belly
button. I think someone like him would find it possible to work through the
spark plug holes and squeeze the ring enough to let it slip past the top of
the sleeve.

"Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address)" wrote in
message ...
A member of our EAA chapter has a cylinder from a Franklin 150 engine (off
the engine.) The piston was pushed too far up and the top ring sprung out
so it now overlaps the cylinder sleeve which locks the piston in place.

Does anyone have a technique to get the piston out? Preferably while doing
the least amount of damage. (So no explosives, please!)

Thanks,
Paul

Old October 2nd 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave S

Jon Woellhaf wrote:
Is anyone in the chapter a surgeon or does anyone know one personally? I
have a surgeon friend who's an expert in performing abdominal surgery
through a tiny incision. He could remove your appendix though your belly
button. I think someone like him would find it possible to work through the
spark plug holes and squeeze the ring enough to let it slip past the top of
the sleeve.

I think you are smoking something strong if you think a surgeon is
going to use instruments intended for use in the body in a plane - and
as a general rule, the equipment/instrument is usually owned by
hospitals, not by the docs..

I like the grease gun idea the best.. any 'noncompressible' media will
do - water, grease, oil.. just not AIR..

OR.. fill the head with water, valves closed, spark plug hole sealed,
and freeze it. Water expands a little as it freezes.. it will overcome
any shear resistance the rings have.
Old October 3rd 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jon Woellhaf

I didn't say anything about using surgical instruments. I don't smoke, but I
have been painting a lot today. g

Old October 3rd 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

Dave S wrote:
Jon Woellhaf wrote:
[...]

The ring may not have expanded all the way round, in that case, you
might coax the piston out using a set of long feeler gauges slipped
between the piston and wall and twisting the piston gently. I have a
set of feeler gauges made for piston work that are a little over twelve
inches long. Not surgical tools, but could get the job done. My
Franklin Manual(very dated) shows the max wear cold clearance to be .036
at the piston top, so it just might be doable.

You could also fabricate a tool from music wire by annealing it,
flattening the end very thin with hammer and anvil (small) and then
rehardening it. Working through the plug holes with several tools and a
lot of patience you might be able to coax it back in.

In big transformers we have an effect called magnetostriction (the cause
of the hum you hear) I was curious if it would have an effect on a
piston ring, so I tried it out with a small piston ring from a weedeater
motor in my growler. No effect. I couldn't find my degaussing coil
(which might produce a more useful field), so could not try that, but
suspect that if it did have an effect it would be to open the gap and
actually spread the ring. The ring had a lot more tension than I
thought. I grabbed an old automotive ring (no idea what it is off of --
I save everything) and am guessing that it would take north of ten
pounds of pressure to compress it, which calls for a pretty strong
magnetic field when it is expected to perform over a considerable gap.

There are also several acids that will attack steel and not aluminum. I
have used that dodge many years ago to remove a busted tap from an
aluminum part that I had a lot of time invested in. I used plain
battery acid that time, but I think I recall that nitric acid could work
better. This would likely attack the valve seats and liner, but would
not harm the head or piston. You would want to degrease everything
before trying the acid.

As far as heating it up and pulling the liner, my (very dated) Franklin
manual shows the liner and valve guides are installed with the jug
heated to between 625-650 degrees F. They list this same temperature
for replacement of the guides, but there is no guidance on removing the
liner. It does show the liner is held in place by one or more
(depending on the model) locking pins at the base (flange) of the jug.
The locking pin is inserted in and held in place by two socket head
screws placed in the hole one after another. The cylinder is finish
ground and honed after the pin(s)are installed, so once you pull the
liner, you are sending it out to be reworked, in which case you might as
well let them deal with the whole problem.

Charles
Old October 3rd 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

Charles Vincent wrote:

There are also several acids that will attack steel and not aluminum. I
have used that dodge many years ago to remove a busted tap from an
aluminum part that I had a lot of time invested in. I used plain
battery acid that time, but I think I recall that nitric acid could work
better. This would likely attack the valve seats and liner, but would
not harm the head or piston. You would want to degrease everything
before trying the acid.

On reflection, forget I said that. To much risk that the acid would
have some long term effect and I simply don't know enough about it to
recommend it for an aircraft part.

Charles
Old October 3rd 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Walter Kronester[_3_]

Hi Paul,
do you know this document, mainly the drawing around page 2-40 or at 2-35?
http://www.franklin.ioi.pl/dokumenty...ts_Catalog.pdf

http://www.franklin.ioi.pl/dokumenty/IPC_4A235_B4.pdf

It seems the cylinder liner can be pulled if the lock pin is removed.

Much luck
Walter

Old October 3rd 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address) wrote:
(So no explosives, please!)

Thanks,
Paul

How do expect any help if you tie our hands?

"There are very few of man's problems that can't be solved by the
proper application of the appropriate explosives." - Ragnar "oops" Benson

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old October 4th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"Dan" wrote in message ...

"There are very few of man's problems that can't be solved by the proper
application of the appropriate explosives." - Ragnar "oops" Benson

"Blo-Jell ! The plastic explosive you use at home. Great for those pesky stuck
window frames; better than a string and a doorknob for removing Junior's loose
tooth" (As remembered from the Prairie Home Companion show)

Vaughn

Old October 4th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message ...
"There are very few of man's problems that can't be solved by the proper
application of the appropriate explosives." - Ragnar "oops" Benson

"Blo-Jell ! The plastic explosive you use at home. Great for those pesky stuck
window frames; better than a string and a doorknob for removing Junior's loose
tooth" (As remembered from the Prairie Home Companion show)

Vaughn

I prefer hand grenades. They can be used for fishing, removing walls
from fingerprints, getting your neighbour to stop mowing the lawn too
early..etc.

Hand grenades are also very effective for painting rooms. One opens a
can of paint, places it on the floor in the geometric centre of the
room, pulls the pin from the grenade, drops it into the, vacates the
room, and voi ci, a painted room.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old October 4th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Dan wrote:

Hand grenades are also very effective for painting rooms. One opens a
can of paint, places it on the floor in the geometric centre of the
room, pulls the pin from the grenade, drops it into the, vacates the
room, and voi ci, a painted room.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I'd like to see Myth Busters try this one... ;o)

Tony