Good AI backup, wish me luck

Old February 20th 04, 05:49 PM
Robert M. Gary

Default Good AI backup, wish me luck

After having both a vac pump failure and an AI failure (not on the
same flight ) I decided its really time for a backup. I always
consider my Mooney to be an "IFR anytime" type of plane, in that I
consider it a solid IFR platform. When the vac pump goes out alarms
starting sounding, my voice annunicator starting saying "check vac
pressure" and the needle goes to 0. It's pretty obvious. I do a
voluntary IPC every 6 months with a local DE and always do partial
panel approaches so I'm as comfortable as you can be with that. A
couple weeks ago I had my AI go out. WOW, that's another story!! The
thing slowly rolled 30 degrees off and REMAINED RESPONSIVE!! When I
banked, it banked, when I pitched, it piched. Figuring out that it was
dead could be hard and it would be easy to miss it. I decided I need a
back up and those vac backup systems are a waste of money(Precise
Flight, electric vac, etc). After getting it back from overhaul my
partner reported that it did it again! I called a couple gyro places
and they said the vac AIs don't last very long because they have a
stream of "dirty" air running through them. The electrics last much
longer. So I'm getting an electric AI installed as my backup. I
noticed that the non-TSO'd electric AIs are almost $1000 less than the
TSO'd ones. I asked my mechanics and the FSDO and they said I could
probably get a 337 approved by the FSDO for a non-TSO'd unit as long
as it wasn't in the "T" area of the panel. One FSDO guy said I might
need to label it "VFR only" and I'd have to promise not to do 135. In
either case I'll end up having an electric backup AI for under $1500.
That's less than the price of a backup electric vac pump installed
about about the same price to put a Precise Flight in a Mooney (with
California labor rates of $95/hr ) with twice the redundency.

-Robert
Old February 20th 04, 05:58 PM
Dave Butler

Robert M. Gary wrote:
[...]

FWIW, I have an electric AI in my Mooney and I wouldn't do it again. It's
expensive, failure prone, and too far out of my scan to be useful as a backup.

I've had the Precise Flight system in a previous airplane, and it was OK, but
has some drawbacks. Since it depends on the intake manifold as a vacuum source,
the vacuum available is dependant on throttle setting. In order to maintain
vacuum for the instruments, you may need a throttle setting that's not what
you'd prefer.

I now have the Aero-Advantage STCed dual-rotor vacuum pump and think it is
overall the best solution. It offers more redundancy and more reliable backup
for a reasonable price. http://www.aeroadvantage.com

Including installation it will be less than your electric AI, and a better
solution, IMO.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old February 20th 04, 09:41 PM
Nathan Young

On 20 Feb 2004 08:49:48 -0800, (Robert M. Gary)
wrote:

[...]

Let us know how the papework goes with the FSDO. I've heard it is not
easy (paperwork-wise) to install the non-certified ones in the panel.
Old February 20th 04, 11:11 PM
Robert M. Gary

Dave Butler wrote in message ...
I now have the Aero-Advantage STCed dual-rotor vacuum pump and think it is
overall the best solution. It offers more redundancy and more reliable backup
for a reasonable price. http://www.aeroadvantage.com

Including installation it will be less than your electric AI, and a better
solution, IMO.

I'm not so worried about losing the vac. What I'm worried about is
lossing the AI.

BTW: What is the purpose of the dual rotor pump. When my pumps have
gone out its always been because a vain got stuck and sheared off the
pump shaft. My mechanic said that's how they usually fail. Wouldn't
that kill both rotors?
-Robert
Old February 21st 04, 01:59 AM
Martin Kosina

Robert M. Gary wrote:
After having both a vac pump failure and an AI failure (not on the
same flight ) I decided its really time for a backup.

I had a similar revelation recently, after a challenging IPC at night
and a quiet reflection on a AI that did fail one me, albeit on a nice
day. Did lot of soul searching and decided to postpone a GPS upgrade
in favor of some attitude information backup first.

Dave Butler wrote:

FWIW, I have an electric AI in my Mooney and I wouldn't do it again. It's
expensive, failure prone, and too far out of my scan to be useful as a backup.

Did you have a lot of problems with the electric AI ? I am also
considering one (the dual pumps sound promising, but still don't back
up the gyro...), so I am curious how they hold up (the RCA-26 series
or the non-TSO'd Falcon, the AIM / Midcontinet stuff is just too
expensive). I heard mixed reviews on the RC Allen, some people have
had them for years without any problems and some claim they they don't
hold up as well as quality vacuum gyros.

Re Falcon, I strongly considered the possibility (337 or not), but
with a custom tilt they are over $1100 (Chief), not *that* cheap
considering a brand new RCA goes for $1650 at the discounters (like
Spruce), factory tilt included and less paperwork hassle. Still, $500
is money, so if they are OK, might be worth considering. There seems
to be very little info on them besides the manufacturer,
unfortunately....

Thanks,

Martin
Old February 21st 04, 02:30 AM
Doug

There are some non-TSO's EFIS systems around for under $2000! I saw
one at Oshkosh and was impressed! No moving parts, fully electronic.
Check out
http://www.dynonavionics.com

Doug
Old February 21st 04, 07:05 AM
Ross Oliver

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I'm not so worried about losing the vac. What I'm worried about is
lossing the AI.

Am I missing something? How is installing a 2nd AI going to solve
the problem of identifying an inaccurate indication? The old saying
goes, "A man with one watch knows the time, a man with two watches
is never sure." If you have two AIs and they disagree, how will you
determine which one is correct? You will have to cross check against
the DG and TC, same as you would if you had only one AI. Seems to me
a better approach would be to practice cross-check in a simulator,
where you can practice with an erratic AI rather than simply covering
it up.

Ross Oliver
Old February 21st 04, 01:51 PM
Teacherjh

If you have two AIs and they disagree, how will you
determine which one is correct?

You at least know one has gone south, and you can go PP. With only one AI, you
could be leaning first.

Jose

Old February 21st 04, 05:01 PM

Robert,

There was a recent article in Aviation Consumer about this (not sure if you
subscribe):

http://www.aviationconsumer.com/arch...ty/5307-1.html

Among other things, they discuss: dual chamber vac with a backup gyro and
PDA-style all electronic backups. If memory serves, a dual chamber vac with
a backup gyro is not terribly expensive and probably wouldn't require fancy
paperwork. I think they quote a price in the ballpark of $2000 for that
solution. The PDA-style all electronic solution is a bit more pricey and
wouldn't be panel mount.

mark

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Good plans-built Light Sport Aircraft Rob Schneider Home Built 15 August 19th 04 05:50 PM
Free Volksplane to good home, located in Chino Hills CA Bryan Zinn Home Built 3 July 18th 04 02:55 AM
Solid State Backup AI Dan Truesdell Instrument Flight Rules 20 January 15th 04 10:53 PM
Good Luck, Jim! Rich S. Home Built 203 November 5th 03 12:46 AM
bulding a kitplane maybe Van's RV9A --- a good idea ????? Flightdeck Home Built 10 September 9th 03 07:20 PM