4 weeks until Wings Over Houston!

Old September 29th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default 4 weeks until Wings Over Houston!

In 4 weeks I will attend an airshow I've never been to; "Wings Over
Houston." Show is going on in spite of Ike, which was a concern.

The main reason is to experience the most hardcore, insane aerobatics
I've ever seen, Sean D. Tucker. Follow links to a 13 minute, full
performance video here if you'd like; http://www.oracle.com/cluboracle/teamoracle/index.html
If you've never seen Tucker perform I highly recommend this if you
enjoy aerobatics.

The Late Jimmy Franklin came pretty dang close to Sean Tucker's
spectacular flying, especially with the jet-powered Waco biplane,
simply unbelievable! In fact, it was during the intensity of that
performance that Franklin lost his life. Here's a video of his jet-
powered Waco; http://www.youtube.com/watchv=BqVkbq...eature=related

Thunderbirds are also featured this year.
Has anyone been to Wings Over Houston? Dumb question but should I
expect a big crowd? Which is the less-crowded day, saturday or sunday?

Thanks for any help.

Ricky
Old September 29th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tech Support

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:06:33 -0700 (PDT), Ricky
wrote:

[...]

I'm in Houston and have heard nothing about any canx of the show. Wx
has been dry and power back on to almost all of the area since Ike
went thru..

I'm retired AAC/USAF and enjoy the heavy iron I flew during my long
time in Military.

Last year got in cockpit of the P-40 and P-51, which I last flew over
60 years ago, to refresh my memory so my War stories would continue to
be correct.

There are two types of tickets. Regular ticket gets you on ramp and
close up to all the aircraft. You have access to talk to the owner or
his rep about the bird. The ramp is a hugh ex military ramp. Lots of
room for people and birds. If ground activities in Air Show are a
priority then you should 'camp out' in the front row near fence as you
will see a lot of old heads do. Check the show time on the schedule
you get.

They close part of the static display area before the Air Show and run
every one out so they can start engines and taxi without hitting any
one.

There is an area where you can buy souvenirs, food and beverage, also
on ramp. Don't think there is any prohibition to coolers if you want
to carry around?

Many people carry folding chairs to sit down when Air Show goes on.

Most years the sun has been out with no clouds (date is in the fall
and normally good Wx) and you need some kind of a hat/cap and possibly
some sun cream for exposed arms if not tanned prior.

Parking is in open areas behind the flight line where old military
buildings were removed years ago. It is on grass and not good if
rainy. There is no shuttle busses in parking area and if you arrive
late you may have to walk up to a quarter mile to a entry gate.

There is good control of cars entering Field and individuals at all
intersections to direct you to the open parking areas so you don't
have to wander around to try to find a spot, There will be spots to
park where you are directed.

I have gone both days (Sat and Sunday) and there was to the eye, lots
of people both days, so I'd say what ever is ur best day. I'd check
the Wx and go the best Wx day as if we have T-storms in area it
sometimes effects the Air Show.

The other type of ticket is the VIP ticket. You get to park on cement
close to the VIP gate and have access to a tent with free food and
drink. Also a spot to watch Air Show with chairs or at tables where
you can eat and drink (Bud draft last year) to keep from getting
dehydrated in hot sun )

You also get a bag with a cap (did last year) and other trinkets.

If you have any specific questions I have not covered ask and I'll try
to answer. I have never talked to anyone who was disappointed with
their day there, so am sure you will enjoy it unless we have another
Ike come thru ).

I live in NW Houston in a heavily wooded area. A number of big trees
2-3 foot in diameter went down, some without hitting anything but
others into houses and other structures and power lines. Lots of
neighbors, some who had chain saws, cut the trees that fell across
streets up and moved the sections out of street so that fire and
police could get in subdivision and of course the residences could get
in and out. Lots of mutual help here not like New Orleans. Lots of
limbs 2-3 inches in diameter and also lots of smaller branches in my
yard. I have a pile of these 6 feet high and 20 feet long in the road
easement along with about 25 bags of small stuff to be picked up by
city. I came thru very good. No damage to any of my structures. but
had no power for 12 days and an hour after I finally borrowed a
generator from a friend, the power came back on. (should have gotten
earlier as always happens when you take some action for a problem and
is solved as soon as you make ur move). Made him an offer after we
were back in business (power back on) and bought (have talked for
years about doing) and now have a good size one that I need to figure
just what I can run with it. Think I can run A/C, Ice box, TV and a
few reading lights but will see. Maybe just everything but A/C? Am
going to put in a double pole double throw knife switch in a locked
box (for safety) so I can use the house wiring instead of stringing
drop cords all over to get power to where I want.

Not sure which day I have the VIP tickets for, as one of the group
bought the tickets for all of us (carload) but probably Sunday. If
there, you can look for an old guy with white hair and a close cut
beard in a electric scooter and we can shake hands.

Hope u enjoy the show.

Big John

Old September 30th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

I've been to Wings Over Houston every year since 2002, and several times
before that. Currently I am a de-facto tenant in the T-Hangers at EFD -
I say that because I still have access through a friend I was helping
build his plane. Until this year, we had a fairly unobstructed view from
our front row hangar, but Southwest Services finally built its new
hangar in front of us.. c'est la vie.

Saturday is the busier day, by far. There are no rain dates - if Sunday
is bad, then its a no fly day.

Come early, bring your own chair, and bring ear plugs.

I cant tell you about tickets - I've not bought one since I became a
tenant - but the VIP stuff is worth it if you want to press flesh with
the show pilots. I volunteered one year with Collings Foundation (a
museum entity with its fleet in T-hangars) and got to hit the VIP tent
for dinner after the show - got to mingle with the Canadian Snowbirds
that year, so if thats what tickles your fancy, it may be worth the
$$$.. you get front and center seating with it too.

I hope you like the Thunderbirds or the Canadian Snowbirds - those are
the only feature acts you will see at WOH until hell freezes over or
there is a regime change at the show - I was there about 10 years ago
when the Blue Angels DIDNT fly for one reason or another - it was their
last invite.

Parking - On Site parking is becoming MUCH more scarce - T hangar and
ramp construction has resumed west of the tower, and the open green
spaces Big John refers to aren't quite as open as they used to be. It
may be worthwhile to ride the Bay Area Park and Ride rather than park on
site.

If you want some homebuilder hospitality, stop by the T Hangars - Alpha
Papa (AP) is the home of EAA Chapter 12, the oldest chapter in Texas,
and the one I formerly was a member of. There should be a big banner
hanging that is visible from the main show entrance. I probably wont
make this years show, but theres all sorts of nice people and planes
back in the T-Hangers.

Dave
Old September 30th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Think I can run A/C, Ice box, TV and a
few reading lights but will see. Maybe just everything but A/C? Am
going to put in a double pole double throw knife switch in a locked
box (for safety) so I can use the house wiring instead of stringing
drop cords all over to get power to where I want.

I have a welder plug in the garage, where I can plug in, and run a patch
cord under the garage door, to the outside. If you only have a 110
generator, feed both sides of the buss with it, and turn off the 220
breakers, to prevent damaging something. With that, you have power on
everything in the house, except the 220 stuff. If you don't have a welder
outlet, or other 220 outlet handy, a dryer receptacle will do just as well.

When I need generator power, I turn off the main breaker, plug the cord I
made up to the welder plug, and into the generator, and feed the house
though that welder outlet, back feeding the buss.

I also ran a wire from before the main breaker on the power input (power
company) side, to a receptacle, with an inline fuse (inside the box) in the
line. I run a drop cord with a lamp plugged into it, inside the house where
I can see it easily. That way, I can see if the power came back on, without
me knowing it. Then, when the power comes back on, all I have to do is
unplug the generator patch cord, and turn the main breaker back on.

The beauty is that it is safe, for me and the power company workers, and it
is practically free, since everything was already in place, except the
monitor receptacle.

I like free and simple! g
--
Jim in NC

Old October 1st 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tech Support

Ricky

See in todays paper that Ron Paul is supporting "Wings over Houston"
this year. Assume his name will be on caps included in VIP ticket hand
out?

The individual arraigning tickets for my group has them for Saturday.
See u there???

Big John

Old October 1st 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

wrote:

[...]

Can one fly in to this event?

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old October 1st 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tech Support

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:20:35 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

[...]

************************************************** *******************
Jim

Tnx for info. Will factor it into my final plans and modifications to
house and possibly garage. I run my power underground from
distribution line to my garage and thru a 200 amp box (garage power to
my machine shop, Computers, WiFi, Radios, etc) and then out thru a
100 amp CB and overhead to house and a 100 amp box installed when
house was built.

I put the big box in garage to allow me to put an electric welder in
but that project has been over taken by events (got old and health has
gone down). Cheaper to pay for the little welding I need vs set up my
own system now.

The generator is a Genarc SVP-5000. I have downloaded the electric
manual and now need to find the engine (10 HP Briggs and Straten)
manual and download.

I have several aircraft home build plan sets and have spent time
looking for details that are vague and other things (material and
engine) needed to build.

I can't pass the third class physical any more (didn't try when ran
out and got my two pacemakers Primary and back up ) but do pass
driving physical so anything I would build now would have to meet the
new rules and regs for no FAA physical flying. Big let down from
supersonic to put put (

My SIL (Robert Borovac) is a well known expert in modifying snow
mobile engines for aircraft and could always lay on him for the expert
advice I would need if used one of those. He has relocated from
Seattle to Redding, CA after traveling 6 months down under to OZ and
NZ. My daughter tells me he is going to attend some EAA meetings there
so may get active again if they find a house that meets their
requirements to buy or decide to just build their dream house.

Will see how Doc appointment goes next week. I had to canx last one
due to Ike ( Will either take my scooter or wheel chair to air show.
Will make the decision the day before and double check batteries are
up on both so with either can roam the ramp )

I read ur postings and are on thread. Keep up and don't get hauled
down into the mud with some who post here.

Ever the best

Big John
Old October 1st 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Oct 1, 10:41*am, Tech Support wrote:

The individual arraigning tickets for my group has them for Saturday.
See u there???

Big John

Thanks, but I honestly wouldn't be able to afford the VIP tickets. I
am a brand-new aircraft mechanic working on my CFI at college with a
family. Just making it the show will be a stretch financially this
year.

Besides that, I will be making this my 7 year old daughter's first big
airshow and expect to have my hands full trying to get her to enjoy
the show. VIP area doesn't sound like the greatest place for young
kids, although with the shade, food with no lines & all I could be
mistaken.

Out of curiosity, what do VIP tickets run? I'll look on the shows site
to see if price is mentioned.

Ricky
Old October 1st 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Oct 1, 11:49*am, Ross wrote:

Can one fly in to this event?

Yes, you can fly in. Ellington Field closes at 9:00 a.m. for the show,
however, according to the show website.

Wow, that seems early, doesn't it?

Ricky
Old October 1st 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Oct 1, 2:00*pm, Ricky wrote:

Just making it the show will be a stretch financially this year.

By that, I mean driving down from my home in Waco.

Ricky

Mike Weeks Donald Keeney Naval Aviation 2 December 18th 05 06:48 AM
Mike Weeks Michael Wise Naval Aviation 2 April 19th 05 08:37 PM
X-Wings and Canard Rotor Wings. Charles Gray Rotorcraft 1 March 22nd 05 01:26 AM
Weeks Solution and Weeks Special Mirco Aerobatics 0 October 2nd 04 04:11 PM
Minden In Two Weeks ADP Soaring 3 August 10th 04 01:51 AM