Use of Anti Icing

Old November 27th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Use of Anti Icing

Does anyone know of an airplane manufacturer that specifies engine or
wing anti ice systems need to be activated a set amount of time
(minutes) prior to entering icing conditions? The ones I've seen only
say "prior to entering...", but no requirement given to have it on for
a set time prior in order to heat up the surfaces.

Do far 25 rules testing provide any insights?

Stan
Old December 2nd 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

This is what I've always heard too. Just that some people say putting
a-ice on "just prior" to entering icing conditions is NOT good enough,
as surfaces will not be fully heated by the time icing conditions are
encountered. I can't argue with the airmanship side of that, and I'm
not. But I am inquiring if any manufacturer has specified "2 minutes
prior" or something like that.

Similarly, does far25 icing tests allow time for systems to heat up,
or were they done by turning on a ice systems "just prior" to entry of
icing coditions? Thanks Sam. Anyone else with insights?

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 06:44:20 -0800, Sam Spade

Does anyone know of an airplane manufacturer that specifies engine or
wing anti ice systems need to be activated a set amount of time
(minutes) prior to entering icing conditions? The ones I've seen only
say "prior to entering...", but no requirement given to have it on for
a set time prior in order to heat up the surfaces.

Do far 25 rules testing provide any insights?

Stan

Any heavy iron I flew required that engine anti-ice be on within a range
of temperatures and where there was visible moisture (any cloud is
visible moisture). This policy (invoked by the aircraft manufacturers)
had nothing to do with whether you observed icing.

Wing deice is an entirely different issue. It is "deice." Engine heat
is "anti-ice."

Old December 2nd 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

It's not airmanship. It is required of anyone who operates Part 25
turbine aircraft. I presume it is in Part 25 somewhere. I'll leave
that for you to research. ;-)

Old December 2nd 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Sam, required of anyone who operates Part 25....? thats exactly what
I'm looking for. I've not come across where it is required to be on a
set amount of time before entry.

Realize this refers to a set amount of time prior to entry in icing
conditions.

Dassault falcon series, and the lear series for Bombardier that I've
seen in their AFM's just say "prior", with no specific time
stipulated. If you've some other info I'd like to see it.

Old December 3rd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Not about time, it's about conditions; i.e., engine anti ice is to be on
whenever visible moisture is present and the TAT is between +5 and -15,
or variations on that theme. Visible moisture is often clouds without
any apparent ice.

Old December 3rd 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Peter wrote:

wrote:

Does anyone know of an airplane manufacturer that specifies engine or
wing anti ice systems need to be activated a set amount of time
(minutes) prior to entering icing conditions? The ones I've seen only
say "prior to entering...", but no requirement given to have it on for
a set time prior in order to heat up the surfaces.

Do far 25 rules testing provide any insights?

With GA TKS systems, there is a low setting and a max setting. The
advice is to use the low setting prior to entry into IMC, and use the
high setting if icing is encountered - IIRC.

I fly with a prop-only TKS systems and I always use the high setting
only; 1 minute or so prior to entering freezing IMC.

Airliners are different - they generally use hot bleed air and can run
it indefinitely, power requirements (e.g. takeoff power) aside.
Whereas TKS will run out.

x----------x

Wing heat is de-ice. Engine heat is anti-ice.

Most airliners cannot use wing de-ice until after takeoff and at not
less than 400 feet; sometimes higher. The bleed air required for wing
de-ice takes so much power that it invalidates the takeoff flight path
performance.
Old December 17th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andy[_1_]

On Dec 3, 11:13*am, Sam Spade wrote:

Most airliners cannot use wing de-ice until after takeoff and at not
less than 400 feet; sometimes higher. *The bleed air required for wing
de-ice takes so much power that it invalidates the takeoff flight path
performance.

MD-11 must be more sophisticated than "most airliners". If icing
conditions are expected on takeoff the wing and tail anti ice are
selected ON after engine start. The valves open when the aircraft
transitions from ground to in-air. Wing and tail anti ice cannot be
used on ground as the slats/leading edges will overheat.

In flight, the CFM requires wing and tail anti ice to be ON if icing
detection system indicates icing is present, or if icing is expected.
There is no specification of how soon before entering icing conditions
the systems should be selected ON.

Andy
Old December 18th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Scott Skylane

Andy wrote:
[...]

On the B-727, wing anti-ice cannot operate on the ground, but will open
up once airborne, like the MD-11. On the B-737-200, you *can* operate
the wing anti-ice on the ground, but it automatically snaps off when
takeoff power is applied, and must manually be switched back on once
airborne.

On the DC-6/7, fuel fired heaters blow hot air throughout the leading
edges, and of course there is no performance decrement. The heater
units are of the exact same type that supplies heated air to the cabin,
and circulates heated air in between the windshield panes.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

NY Times Anti Gay AND Anti Catholic Red[_2_] Piloting 0 July 27th 07 03:17 PM
What's the latest on "forecast icing = known icing" Gary Drescher Instrument Flight Rules 61 May 23rd 06 10:06 PM
De-icing Kobra Owning 29 December 13th 05 04:55 PM
NASA Icing Course [email protected] Piloting 3 December 28th 04 06:18 PM
Icing David Megginson Piloting 3 August 11th 04 10:35 PM