Navy or Air Farce?

Old March 14th 04, 02:06 AM
Mike Kanze

I believe the pilot was George Duncan, USNA '39. George went on to command
RANGER during the early 1960s.

--
Mike Kanze

"The Project Uncertainty Principle says that if you understand a project,
you won't know its cost, and vice versa."

- Dilbert, August 6 2003

"Pechs1" wrote in message
VPN- As you probably know, when Charleton Heston has a ramp strike in

his
SBD, in the movie "Midway," it was really an F9F. I''ve heard the
pilot survived that, but I'm sure it was "interesting." BRBR

I met his daughter, the guy that hit the ramp, not Mr Heston.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old March 14th 04, 05:21 AM
Krztalizer

Males totally rejected the idea, and last I heard, female Hornet pilots
weresomehow using piddle packs... although, I've never figured out
thehydromechanics of that evolution.Some things, I'm happy just not
knowing.--Woody

Piddle packs. My kid found two in a bottom drawer somewhere and held it out to
me, saying, "I don't want to know."

Had a pilot **** in the canteen once - tried to hand it back to me to dispose
of ("Are you nuts, sir?? Fling it out your own door!") but I don't recall using
one of those scanky-ass relief tubes (Is it plugged, or not? Care to find
out?) or even piddle packs for that matter. Most of our missions were less
than six hours and I had an 8-hour certification on my bladder so it was never
much of an issue. On @#$%# P-3 flights, it was.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose AN engine, than THE engine.

Old March 14th 04, 05:22 AM
Krztalizer

I believe the pilot was George Duncan, USNA '39. George went on to command
RANGER during the early 1960s.

What type of a/c did he bust his ass in?
Thanks in advance.

v/r
Gordon
Old March 14th 04, 02:33 PM
Pechs1

Juvat- I fly with a couple guys that wanted Hoovers or P-3s because they
planned to move on to the airlines. BRBR

Then they should have joined the USAF...I get peeved when a guy is already
looking toward his next career, before he has really gotten into his
first....BUT no airlines today!! Those weenies that rushed a trash hauler to
get into the airlines, got stuck in P-3s...and then 9/11...and the jobs dry up.

Juvat
I nodded thoughtfully, paused to reflect and announced confidently,
"So Bill...you're just like an Air Force pilot!" BRBR

yep, the P-3 community is the closest thing the USN has to the
USAF....microwave ovens and all.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old March 14th 04, 04:07 PM
Elmshoot

Personally, I felt it very important to be hydrated... especially over bad
guy country. It'd be a bad deal to get bagged and start out on the ground
short of water. On a 6.5 to 8 hour mission, I had to learn how to use the
piddle pack. Admittedly, it took some time to master. Always managed to
throw 2 to 3 overboard after the trap.

On the other hand, I fly with guys that can't make it through a 1.3 hour hop
without peeing at some point. Still can't figure that out.

--Woody

Woody,
Good point about being well hydrated. Many times I should have drank more water
during the flight. In the Airlines I make a point to drink lots of water.
Back in the dark ages I when I was an NFO I flew with a guy named Larry Gardner
who couldn't make it to the 7 mile arc on a case 1 launch before he was going
for the relief tube. LOL
Sparky
Old March 15th 04, 04:12 AM
sid

Juvat wrote in message . ..
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Pechs1
blurted out:

I actually knew a guy that 'wanted' P-3ss..honest..but yer right, most want
fastmovers. A bit different in the USN, when you are in the jet pipeline, you
are going to probably get a tactical jet but some 'wanted' S-3s ...

I fly with a couple guys that wanted Hoovers or P-3s because they
planned to move on to the airlines...which leads me to another, "No
**** this really happened," story.

I suppose Boeing thinks this attitude is an ace in the hole for their
737 MMA. Guys could come out of the box type rated.
Old March 15th 04, 04:17 AM
sid

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message ...
I believe the pilot was George Duncan, USNA '39. George went on to command
RANGER during the early 1960s.

--
Mike Kanze

Yep,you're right. CDR Duncan was the one in this incident on the
Midway which is the one thats in the footage all the movies use:
http://www.midwaysailor.com/midwayme...51oct-001b.jpg
I remember a Repp survived a ramp strike as well, but i can't find any
references
Old March 15th 04, 07:47 PM
Mike Kanze

Woody,

Proper hydration was highly emphasized during the VN war - and the point was
easily and quickly driven home on the searing flight decks off Yankee and
Dixie stations. Manned up and waiting your turn for the huffer, even with
the open cockpit, made one a believer.

During our first post-line period port call in Subic (April, when things
weren't REALLY hot yet) I went straight to the Navy Exchange and bought
several plastic baby bottles and caps (but not the nipples). Before each
launch I filled them with the offerings of the Ready Room scuttlebutt and
stuffed same in my g-suit pockets (held 6 - 3 each leg). I usually consumed
at least two between man-up and launch, plus another one or two during the
mission. This left me 2 - 3 available if I were forced à pied into scenic
North Vietnam.

Never found myself fumbling for the funnel either.

--
Mike Kanze

"When you're majoring in abnormal psychology, ALL television is
educational!"

- Frank & Ernest, 3/9/04

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 3/13/04 11:21 PM, in article
, "Krztalizer"

Old March 16th 04, 12:31 AM
Helomech

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
I believe the pilot was George Duncan, USNA '39. George went on to

command
RANGER during the early 1960s.

--
Mike Kanze

I still remember many of the "Sea stories" my Dad told me about his cruises
aboard the Ranger in the early to mid 60's - I remember him talking about
Capt Duncan.......... He said all the men thought he was on hell of a good
skipper - He took the Ranger out of SF Bay at about 25 knots once..... made
a hell of a bow wave and caused an uproar with the politicians of the bay
area. He also had an F-4 launched while the Ranger was just under the
golden gate bridge - A picture of it is in my Dad's cruisebook. One of
these days - I'll scan them in and post them to ABPA or ABPM.....

My Dad was a QM aboard the Ranger and Forrestal during the 60's, He was on
the Kittyhawk during the 70's.

Helomech