Navy or Air Farce?

Old March 12th 04, 01:48 AM
Juvat

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, BUFDRVR
blurted out:

Hmmm, at least in the bomber community, taking a dump is not considered an
accomplishment.....I always suspected it was in the fighter community though...

Fair enough, but by a show of hands, how many aviators in this august
forum ever heard of a guy/gal in ANY pilot training class actually
volunteering for B-52s...when they could have had any fighter they
wanted. You are an anomaly...deviation from the common rule
....something different, abnormal, peculiar, or not easily classified.

I suppose your BUFF comrades look at you with a YGBSM expression when
you announce..."Yeah, BUFFs were my first choice..."

YMMV...

Juvat
Old March 12th 04, 04:48 AM
Andrew Venor

vincent p. norris wrote:
It is a power on approach, on speed angle of attack, constant attitude until
touchdown followed by full power at touchdown whether ya got a wire or not.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

I think the early jet, straight deck boys did a 'cut' pass-no?

Don't know, but with a/c up ahead on the straight deck, I would guess
so.

With some of the centrifical type engines, like in the F-9, I'm sure it was 'interesting'.

As you probably know, when Charleton Heston has a ramp strike in his
SBD, in the movie "Midway," it was really an F9F. I''ve heard the
pilot survived that, but I'm sure it was "interesting."

vince norris

Wasn't that same footage used for the F-14 ramp strike in the movie The
Hunt for Red October as well?

ALV

Old March 12th 04, 05:09 AM
Krztalizer

As you probably know, when Charleton Heston has a ramp strike in his
SBD, in the movie "Midway," it was really an F9F. I''ve heard the
pilot survived that, but I'm sure it was "interesting."

vince norris

Wasn't that same footage used for the F-14 ramp strike in the movie The
Hunt for Red October as well?

Same footage - but I thought the ass-buster was an FH, not a Panther? Not too
familiar with the first generation of carrier jets, but I always had a real
attraction to the Panthers (of 'Toko Ri') and I remember thinking that it was
something other than an F9F cracking up on the round down.

v/r
Gordon

====(A+C====
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old March 12th 04, 02:14 PM
Pechs1

WD- Speaking of the Air Force, I will never forget my AF captain neighbor at
grad school. Three rows of ribbons and he had never been outside CONUS.
BRBR

Generally in the USN there were no awards for 'faithful service'. The difficult
was routine, the impossible just took a little longer. Not many 'I've been
there ' awards in the USN...A NAM or a NCM was a special award. A MSM really
something special.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old March 12th 04, 02:15 PM
Pechs1

VPN- As you probably know, when Charleton Heston has a ramp strike in his
SBD, in the movie "Midway," it was really an F9F. I''ve heard the
pilot survived that, but I'm sure it was "interesting." BRBR

I met his daughter, the guy that hit the ramp, not Mr Heston.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old March 12th 04, 02:17 PM
Pechs1

bufdrvr- Hmmm, at least in the bomber community, taking a dump is not
considered an
accomplishment.....I always suspected it was in the fighter community though..
BRBR

Yep, but you can get up, wander back past the bunks with lace curtains, sit
down in the ****ter while listening to music or watch a DVD, while the 'stew'
is busy making your lunch...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old March 12th 04, 02:19 PM
Pechs1

I knew a guy that took a dump in his helmet bag tho, while airborne. He was
happy the autopilot worked...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old March 12th 04, 02:55 PM
Elmshoot

I knew a guy that took a dump in his helmet bag tho, while airborne. He was
happy the autopilot worked...

Had a BN in VA-95 who took a dump in his Nav bag. Poor pilot had to sit there
and fly the plane while that was going on. I'll bet his mask was on and tight
when that was happening. It was a 9 hour flight.

Pilot (XO) in VAQ-135 who discovered about mid **** his relief tube was blocked
up so he told the ECMO 1 to give him his water bottle who whinned about it. He
dumped the contents of the water bottle into the floor then poured the contents
of the relief tube and his bladder into the bottle put the lid on and handed it
back to the still really whinning ECMO 1. The AME's were really happy he did
it that way since water is easy to clean up.

Finally when I was in VAQ-35 we had a Femail NF0 in ECMO 3 seat with a guy who
loathed women in the military and in particular this one who witnesed her strip
down sufficently for her to take a leak in a relief tube. I asked him what
color her skivies were and he said he didn't even look. It was on a formation
flight so the other flight got to watch and tease, as well. For her going away
present I gave her a funnel.
Sparky
Old March 12th 04, 03:48 PM
Allen Epps

In article , Elmshoot
wrote:

[...]

Ahhhh, another Floater story! She was good for a bunch
Pugs
Old March 12th 04, 04:01 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 12 Mar 2004 14:19:03 GMT, (Pechs1) wrote:

I knew a guy that took a dump in his helmet bag tho, while airborne. He was
happy the autopilot worked...
P. C. Chisholm

We had a guy with us in Fighter Lead-In at Holloman flying AT-38s. He
went X-C for a weekend on the Gulf Coast and finished off Saturday
night with a load of fresh seafood and shrimp.

Enroute home, solo, at FL 350 he got the urge--first a twinge and then
an insistance that could not be ignored. He debated, considered,
planned and finally decided that he must. He trimmed carefully, then
pinned his seat (wouldn't do to eject oneself with trou around the
ankles). Finally he began unstrapping. Fortunately he hadn't worn a
G-suit that day. Shrugged out of the parachute harness, but still
clumsily linked by helmet and oxygen mask to the CRU-60 connector on
the left shoulder strap, he then worked his way out of his flight
suit--urgency making his movements increasingly frantic. Finally,
shorts down and helmet bag retrieved from where he had been sitting on
it, opened and carefully positioned below him. His squadron scarf
removed for finish-up duty he released and in the process, nudged the
throttles.

The old J-85s at high altitude had become increasingly intolerant of
rapid throttle movements and as we had often been warned, both engines
promptly flamed out. Sudden silence as the engines spooled down and
the airplane dutifully maintained its trimmed-for speed and began a
rapid descent. Battery power to the radio almost immediately gave a
call from Albuquerque Center asking why he was deviating from his
assigned altitude.

Panicked, he know sat down on the helmet bag with the expected
dirty-diaper squishiness and grabbed for stick while punching at the
airstart buttons. The engines reliably responded and he climbed back
to altitude, flight suit and shorts around ankles, out of parachute
harness, and with no hope of recovering without the world knowing of
the events.

He landed back at HMN to considerable embarassment and an unhappy crew
chief and life-support NCO. He gained a new nickname in the squadron
as well, forever after being known as "Dirty Dan" (last name withheld
to maintain any remaining vestige of dignity for the poor guy.)

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press