Practice IMC in real IMC

Old March 24th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Practice IMC in real IMC

"Peter R." wrote in message
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Unusual attitude recovery and stalls are probably things I would not do
in IMC.

One one instrument proficiency check a few years ago, I had a CFII not
only
ask me to perform stalls, but also to make two steep turns, all while
flying on an IFR flight plan in IMC.

I take it you dumped that guy?

Old March 24th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

One one instrument proficiency check a few years ago, I had a CFII not only
ask me to perform stalls, but also to make two steep turns, all while
flying on an IFR flight plan in IMC

Seems a bit like asking a student to practice spins on his turn from
base to final. Some things seem better to practice simulated. In my
aircraft the plane rolls over about 30 degrees in the stall and has a
pretty good nose down attitude. I wouldn't be excited to do that in
IMC.

-Roberts

Old March 24th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Did he have you practice Controlled Flight Into Terrain also?

Old March 24th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Robert M. Gary wrote:
One one instrument proficiency check a few years ago, I had a CFII not only
ask me to perform stalls, but also to make two steep turns, all while
flying on an IFR flight plan in IMC

Seems a bit like asking a student to practice spins on his turn from
base to final. Some things seem better to practice simulated. In my
aircraft the plane rolls over about 30 degrees in the stall and has a
pretty good nose down attitude. I wouldn't be excited to do that in
IMC.

I actually recover from stalls better under the hood than I do visually.
A stall feels much less dramatic to me when I can't see out and I tend
to respond faster and smoother than when stalling visually. I would
have no fear doing stalls in IMC with a competent instructor along.
Same with steep turns. I always fly them better under the hood than
visually.

Matt
Old March 24th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, "gregscheetah" said:
I want to practice maneuvers, descending turns and basic manual
maneuvering in IMC conditions. Is it possible to get ATC to assign you
a 'practice area' in real IMC environment? Say a block of airspace
like they do for aerobatics? Of course I would first do this with a
CFII.

My CFII would request a hold at the local holding fix, and then request a
block altitude. As long as you stayed on the correct side of the hold,
ATC are remarkably tolerant of what you do - stalls, unusual attitude
recovery, climbs and descents at a given speed, climbs and descents at a
given rate, etc. You're already doing constant rate turns in the hold, so
do them partial panel and time them.

I am not sure if I like that idea of turning a holding pattern into a
maneuvering exercise. A hold is a clearly defined maneuver even though
ATC may be tolerant to deviations.

Why not simply tell ATC that you need some airspace to do some
maneuvering and be done with?

Old March 24th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Did he have you practice Controlled Flight Into Terrain also?

Do landings count?

Old March 24th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Robert M. Gary wrote:
: Did he have you practice Controlled Flight Into Terrain also?

: Do landings count?

Touche!

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old March 24th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
Did he have you practice Controlled Flight Into Terrain also?

Do landings count?

Touche!

How hard do you touche?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old March 24th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Did he have you practice Controlled Flight Into Terrain also?

Do landings count?

Were you under control at the time of ... uh, impact? :-)

Matt

A Question For Real Airline Pilots Blue Simulators 34 September 6th 04 01:55 AM
The Real Enemy Staring Us in the Face WalterM140 Military Aviation 2 July 12th 04 06:18 PM
Real weather GPS ANTHONY ROTHSCHILD Simulators 2 July 1st 04 06:40 PM
I'm a real PILOT! CFLav8r Piloting 45 April 26th 04 03:29 PM
Virtual Airline sues Real Airline Joseph Brown Simulators 4 April 25th 04 09:10 PM